Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Since having the campaign update, I have noticed something weird…

For the avoidance of doubt, I only charge to 85% and my car has done 3000 miles.

It seems that sometimes, regen braking is disabled and only the mechanical brakes work.

This has only started happening since the update. I can’t put my finger (hoof) exactly on the preconditions, but it seems to be initially on a first drive of the day.

After a while the regen braking kicks in and everything is back to normal. Further drives during the day proceed as normal.

Interestingly, engaging cruise control forces regen braking to work, but switching back to manual disables it again. But after a while it turns back on.

Is this some new feature to ensure the mechanical brakes get some use and don’t seize up and waste away?

Ironically, InnoDrive disengaged today saying manual take over was necessary and then when I pushed the brakes I only got mechanical. But putting cruise control immediately back on and everything returned to normal.

Has anyone else had obscure periods where regen braking was unavailable?
Sponsored

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
You’ve probably just noticed it.
The car does this to ensure the brakes are; working, clean and used occasionally. Also, if you have 100% charge the regen is limited and once soc lowers, regen is used for more of the braking process.

hope this helps

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
You’ve probably just noticed it.
The car does this to ensure the brakes are; working, clean and used occasionally. Also, if you have 100% charge the regen is limited and once soc lowers, regen is used for more of the braking process.

hope this helps
It’s quite possible I’ve only just noticed it. It seemed plausible that it was by design, but I didn’t recall it ever happening before.

It does clearly demonstrate how crap the mechanical brakes are compared to the regen though!

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
It’s quite possible I’ve only just noticed it. It seemed plausible that it was by design, but I didn’t recall it ever happening before.

It does clearly demonstrate how crap the mechanical brakes are compared to the regen though!
I agree. The rotors alone struggle to stop the car. It can be quite unnerving

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If Porsche didn't do this to burn off the oxidization on the rotor from limited use, you would get squeaky brakes. This was an annoyance on the Model S.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Personally I have never felt or heard any switch from motor braking to brake pad.

From the manual:

Operating principle
Bedding in and cleaning the brakes
The vehicle has a braking recuperation system that
feeds some of the braking energy back into the highvoltage
battery. In order to bed in the wheel brake,
the recuperation system is deactivated briefly on
new vehicles or after changing the brake pads and
this reduces the range. To assist in cleaning the
brakes, the recuperation system is deactivated for a
short time after standstill times of more than 6
hours. The recuperation system is activated again
automatically afterwards.

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since having the campaign update, I have noticed something weird…

For the avoidance of doubt, I only charge to 85% and my car has done 3000 miles.

It seems that sometimes, regen braking is disabled and only the mechanical brakes work.

This has only started happening since the update. I can’t put my finger (hoof) exactly on the preconditions, but it seems to be initially on a first drive of the day.

After a while the regen braking kicks in and everything is back to normal. Further drives during the day proceed as normal.

Interestingly, engaging cruise control forces regen braking to work, but switching back to manual disables it again. But after a while it turns back on.

Is this some new feature to ensure the mechanical brakes get some use and don’t seize up and waste away?

Ironically, InnoDrive disengaged today saying manual take over was necessary and then when I pushed the brakes I only got mechanical. But putting cruise control immediately back on and everything returned to normal.

Has anyone else had obscure periods where regen braking was unavailable?
Agreed - I've noticed the same on my MY21 4S post latest updates, definitely regen is reduced when first drive of the day - I've noticed it as near my house I drive down a steep hill on the school run - 30 secs from my house and regen isn't coming on and mechanical breaking is. This didn't happen prior to latest update.
Like you said, after 10 mins or so driving I then see a more noticeable regen kick back in on breaking and per normal, so would lead me to believe that they've optimised some settings on this.
Sponsored