No regen with braking

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
So this is my second taycan. My first was a 2021 4s and I just got the 2022 turbo S. I’ve noticed that the best efficiency I can get is around 35 versus 28 in my 4s doing the exact same route and driving style. Granted thr turbo has 21 inch tires. However Oddly when I press the brakes in the new car I notice I get no green regen line versus the blue with acceleration. If I put the car into regen braking mode I get the line but no increase with braking.

I assume this is a bug and not real but the difference in range is pretty staggering. Granted I’m not too worried since this is an occasional commuter/weekend car for me But figured I would post to see if anyone else had had this issue.

Porsche Taycan No regen with braking 5A511C7E-822E-489D-A58C-3337C0A8575B
Sponsored

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
FWIW, I had high consumption and no recuperation for the first 300 or so miles. I think some have reported going 600 before normal brake recuperation kicked in. Full recuperation is generally not available above 75-85% SOC, so charging regularly to a high state of charge hurts efficiency as well. 21" wheels cost about 5% over 20's.

Bedding in and cleaning the brakes
The vehicle has a braking recuperation system that feeds some of the braking energy back into the high- voltage battery. In order to bed in the wheel brake, the recuperation system is deactivated briefly on new vehicles or after changing the brake pads and this reduces the range. To assist in cleaning the brakes, the recuperation system is deactivated for a short time after standstill times of more than 6 hours. The recuperation system is activated again automatically afterwards.

Reactions: B61

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
How many miles on the clock ? Regen will begin to work after brakes and pads are bedded in.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
FWIW, I had high consumption and no recuperation for the first 300 or so miles. I think some have reported going 600 before normal brake recuperation kicked in. Full recuperation is generally not available above 75-85% SOC, so charging regularly to a high state of charge hurts efficiency as well. 21" wheels cost about 5% over 20's.
It’s his 2nd Taycan, so I;m pretty sure that he’s aware about that.
btw: inmmy experiences, 21” wheels don’t make such difference; looks that spring/summer temperatures compensates with low winter’s.
i also haven;t noticed thst regen works different when higher states of SoC.
at least visualy, i can see green even when SoC is over 90%.

i’d go to Porsche and ask for diagnostic over computer….

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So this is my second taycan. My first was a 2021 4s and I just got the 2022 turbo S. I’ve noticed that the best efficiency I can get is around 35 versus 28 in my 4s doing the exact same route and driving style. Granted thr turbo has 21 inch tires. However Oddly when I press the brakes in the new car I notice I get no green regen line versus the blue with acceleration. If I put the car into regen braking mode I get the line but no increase with braking.

I assume this is a bug and not real but the difference in range is pretty staggering. Granted I’m not too worried since this is an occasional commuter/weekend car for me But figured I would post to see if anyone else had had this issue.

5A511C7E-822E-489D-A58C-3337C0A8575B.jpeg
How many miles so far?

The other recuperation mode (Auto/On/Off) is overrun recuperation (deceleration) and not braking recuperation.

Braking recuperation and coasting are more efficient and will reduce consumption.

Reactions: B61

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

5A511C7E-822E-489D-A58C-3337C0A8575B.jpeg
I believe there is an algorithn to bed new brake pads in when the car is new or after a change.
I don't know whether it monitors braking energy or just time or distance but normal regen performance doesn't start until the algorithm thinks the brakes are bedded.
It also periodically switches to friction brakes only to clean up the brakes if they haven't been used much.

If the algorithm uses brake energy as the control braking hard may shorten the period before normal regeneration begins.

OP
OP
RCorsa

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Thanks everyone. I knew there was a break in - I thought it was 250miles and I have about 400 on my car- Obviously I didn’t read the manual. :)

I’d does make sense that the car determines the break in status I suppose which would explain the 600 miles it took someone.

I guess I’ll Give it a few hundred more miles before bring it in although I do have a service visit for the interior alarm sensor in a couple weeks so hopefully it’s sorted by then.

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
I'm at 1400 miles, same issue.
Sponsored