WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
I wonder how much of this is early adopter teething pains. I’ve had my 2022 for 6 months, and it’s been fantastic. No service required yet. The 911 would have been in the shop at least once by now. Usually tire issues. And of course the 911 maintenance schedule is 2x the frequency

Every Tesla owner who rides in it immediately wants a taycan or for me to pass their name along to the dealer for macan EV wait list. no really. People love this car like they love supercar ride alongs. it‘s kinda silly. It had massage seats. Minds are blown that S class comfort is paired with this kind of performance, cabin quiet and air suspension.

Mine has had no problems with plug n charge or EA. I live near one of their marquee and largest stations so that’s not really fair. But for folks charging at home, I expect they have it even easier for daily driving.

it’s by far the best driving BEV I’ve ever driven and on the market. It’s also flat out the best 4 door sedan i’ve ever driven. Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves for letting Porsche build this first.

as for being a Porsche apologist, I’m taking my ice sportscar business elsewhere. The allocation games for the GT cars just aren’t worth it. The artura is a better TTS than the TTS. Ironically, I still plan to buy more BEV from Porsche. Wife is committed to a BEV Macan, and I’ll definitely pick up a gen2 taycan in 2027 if the rumors are true.
I agree with this. I've also got a 22 car. I'm 3000 miles in and other than very very minor PCM glitch it's been brilliant. Every marque has issues. My Audi A6 hybrid quattro was glitchy as hell. It was my daily workhorse before the Taycan and I had lots of issues. I'm a big Porsche fan so I don't intend to apologise for them at all. Although I don't have the GT buying issue. My porsche ICE is a 69 911T project. So thats a very very different challenge.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
As some have pointed out, comparing Porsche's software with Tesla's isn't really fair.

I think a better and more fair comparison is Porsche vs some other traditional manufacturer moving towards electrification, say Mercedes or BMW. Is Porsche doing better or worse on the software side? I don't know and I'm curious to learn more.
That's easy. Mercedes has currently the best software for navigation, charging, and self driving which is level 3 in certain highway conditions in Germany, supported by law. First on in the world. That's why I am looking at the new EQE or EQE SUV.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Things are not that bad. Taycan owners here were almost unanimous early on (2020-21) that Porsche nailed the hardware and had much work to do on the software.

Here we are in the summer of 2022 and the latest software update has successfully addressed almost all the issues documented earlier. Here is what remains to be fixed based on my 2021 4S experience:

1. Over the air updates were supposed to be addressed by the recent major software update. Have to wait and see if ALL updates can now be done over the air in the future. Enough of going to the dealer to have these done.
  2. Lane Keep Assist remains awful. My car over reacts when sensing a marked lane edge. Further, the sensor(s) are inconsistent in detecting lane markings. On the same road, 100 feet apart, LKA will detect lane markings (per the assistance systems display) and then fail to detect. LKA is totally unreliable and, as such, unusable. FYI - We have a Mercedes where LKA works perfectly on the same roads.
  3. The surround camera in my car does not display the cameras in the left side of the display as documented in many YouTube videos of this feature in 2020 to 2022 models. There is a weird process of pressing and dragging my finger on the lower display to get surround view to display.
I hope Porsche is reading this and fixes these issues.

With all the software drama, the car is still a joy to drive.
The surround view you refer to is not surround view but 3D view which you (and most of the rest of us) are operating via a hack. This hack has now been removed by the uPdate (or at least I can't get the hack to work since). 360 Surround View as an option (now called 'ParkAssist including Surround View') simply provides a bird's-eye view, front, rear, left hand side and right hand side camera views.

For 3D view (inclusive of the 4 physical and 4 virtual cameras) you need to specify 'Remote ParkAssist with Lane Change Assist' on top of 'ParkAssist including Surround View'. Once you have all this then you can do the 3D rotate (without the hack) and touch the individual virtual cameras etc.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The surround view you refer to is not surround view but 3D view which you (and most of the rest of us) are operating via a hack. This hack has now been removed by the uPdate (or at least I can't get the hack to work since). 360 Surround View as an option (now called 'ParkAssist including Surround View') simply provides a bird's-eye view, front, rear, left hand side and right hand side camera views.

For 3D view (inclusive of the 4 physical and 4 virtual cameras) you need to specify 'Remote ParkAssist with Lane Change Assist' on top of 'ParkAssist including Surround View'. Once you have all this then you can do the 3D rotate (without the hack) and touch the individual virtual cameras etc.

Thanks for the clarification. Someone at Porsche needs to understand that these distinctions have never been clear. I don't recall any such distinctions between "Surround View," "3D View," and "Park Assist Including Surround View" when ordering.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification. Someone at Porsche needs to understand that these distinctions have never been clear. I don't recall any such distinctions between "Surround View," "3D View," and "Park Assist Including Surround View" when ordering.
From ordering through the manual, this is hardly a bright spot for Porsche. I mean, if you don’t write anything in the first place, I guess you don’t have to translate it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Historically (at launch) there were 3 parking options. Car came with front and rear sensors only, then you had to add a reversing camera, followed by 360 surround / panoramic. Things changed in 2021 - car came with sensors and a reversing camera to which you could add 360 / surround / panoramic and 3D view. After that things changed again leaving only two enhanced parking options - Park Assist with 360 / surround Panoramic and Remote Park Assist with Lane Keep Assist. The waters were definitely muddied and to add insult to injury in the early days you could end up paying for 3 parking options to get to '3D'. Now its just two options but to get 3D you need to first have 360 surround first and then add Remote Parking Assist - becomes hugely expensive for what it is but there is quite a few bits of tech thrown in to 'justify' the cost and is only clear when you read the information for the specific option.