What makes the difference between Range Mode limiting to 60mph or 90mph?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
The Porsche range calculator shows about 11% increase in range from A/C normal to A/C eco with a 2% extra gain by switching A/C off altogether so their data makes A/C Eco a no-brainer IMO.
This is in Normal mode, I haven’t bothered with range mode so far but might if it meant I could just make it home :)
Yes, I had seen this. While I cannot reliable eliminate other factors. my experience on a 3 hour route taken various times over the same weekend using the same route on flat terrain showed me that there, shockingly, was not a material difference between using range mode and AC eco and using normal mode and normal AC. I appreciate that at higher ambient temperatures, or under different conditions, maybe it would make a bigger difference. But multiple trips for me have shown that it's not even worth the thought to sweat range and a/c settings: I now just drive and if I remember, I remember. I tend to use range mode just to cap my top speed as I can misbehave at times.
Sponsored

captainhoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, BMW X3 M40i
Country flag
I put a screenshot from my Tesla app below. You need to do a full registration, credit card, address, etc.

Porsche Taycan What makes the difference between Range Mode limiting to 60mph or 90mph? IMG_0147

Thanks! We're Sussex to Harrogate so not quite as far, but will need every bit of range. Likely a stop anyway though, so y'know.
Interesting about the sat nav. I downloaded the Tesla app and it was just product pages. Maybe I need to log in to see the network, will check again.

Taycan2023y

First Name
Sandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Fully charged my car at Porsche centre (Australia) Range is 454km. I don’t drive on range mode. But I noted when I turned the dial to range it jumped by 11km.
I just prefer driving in comfort mode with electric sound on all the time.
Personally I would only switch to range is if my kms are low

Porsche Taycan What makes the difference between Range Mode limiting to 60mph or 90mph? IMG_3010

Porsche Taycan What makes the difference between Range Mode limiting to 60mph or 90mph? IMG_2987

OP
OP
thebuttonmonkey

thebuttonmonkey

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fully charged my car at Porsche centre (Australia) Range is 454km. I don’t drive on range mode. But I noted when I turned the dial to range it jumped by 11km.
I just prefer driving in comfort mode with electric sound on all the time.
Personally I would only switch to range is if my kms are low

IMG_3010.jpeg

IMG_2987.png
She's a beauty. It must be a land/space thing, I've never seen the chargers at a UK dealer empty like that. The car parks are so small they're always ICE blocked. Makes them useless out of hours when there's no-one there to move them!

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Slightly off topic but related: I am still amazed by the fact that the Taycan seems so much less impacted by speed than my Tesla Model X was.

I think that the likely reason is due to how the different vehicles predict range. Tesla in my experience is overly optimistic before you begin a trip, and then it -- terrifyingly to new drivers -- drops dramatically during the first say 25% of the trip and then it levels off somewhat (i.e., becomes less volatile although you can still change the range through actions like reducing speed, etc . . . ) until you only have 20% of the trip left, at which case there is not a whole lot you can do to make dramatic changes.

By contrast, the Porsche is much more conservative before the trip begins, and it either remains stable or actually increases in range as you travel. I don't notice any behavior of mine that can make dramatic changes to the overall range. Even with the roof box attached, the initial range predictions are not too far off.

I much prefer the Porsche approach, but I assume the difference in approach is what is impacting my perceptions because speed in the Tesla would immediately punish your predicted range while speed in the Porsche doesn't seem to have much of an impact. Rather than meaning that speed impacts the vehicles differently, it is likely that the Porsche prediction has already discounted the range for impact of speed so when you go faster, you do not notice the impact (even though it is there). It would be nice to have the choice for predictions so that you could see in the Porsche the immediate impact of speed (or AC, etc . . . ) if you wanted to see it.

Now, apart from active aero like the GT3RS has, cd does not change with speed, does it? Or could you have cars that are designed to be efficient at specific speeds (e.g., 75 mph) so that at 75 mph they have a comparatively better cd than other cars but at lower speeds (e.g., 55 mph) they have a comparatively worse cd than other cars. In other words, could passive aero impact cd differently at different speeds? I doubt it on mass produced vehicles like ours, but interesting to consider.

Taycan2023y

First Name
Sandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
She's a beauty. It must be a land/space thing, I've never seen the chargers at a UK dealer empty like that. The car parks are so small they're always ICE blocked. Makes them useless out of hours when there's no-one there to move them!
We can only access charging during dealer hours. Sometimes an ice car is parked but the dealer moves it out of the way during peak times when cars are there for servicing. I find this to be best place for charging as I have not seen another ev charging here.
Sponsored