Jupeman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 GT3, '09 Cayenne Turbo S, '14 Cayman, '16 GT3
Country flag
Hi All, long-time Porsche enthusiast, first time poster...

I have a bead on a MY20 Turbo S and am wondering what, if any, capabilities I lose with an MY20 vs. MY21+ . The "Porsche Pro" at this dealership tells me that I can't get 11.6kwh charing, that the car is limited to 9.6kwh. I've challenged him to tell me if this was just conservative spec by Porsche in MY20 and later changed by software to allow "full charging speed" or an actual difference in parts. He admitted he didn't know, I asked for the parts diagram, no response.

So that's the kind of thing I'm trying to assess right now.

Any other general advice on buying a used Taycan or MY20?
Sponsored

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
YES! Someone Advised me the MY20 will not start charging automatically unless Started Through App. This seems a bit, ummm, bananas? For lack of a better word! 😀

What in the world doesn't start charging when you plug in it?! (waiting for the list of devices!)

I can hear Helmut, the lead engineer: "Yeah ve don't vant zee charging to sdart undil zee client sbecically vants it, yah?"

Jeff G

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Range Tover, Porsche 911 turbo s
Country flag

I have a bead on a MY20 Turbo S and am wondering what, if any, capabilities I lose with an MY20 vs. MY21+ . The "Porsche Pro" at this dealership tells me that I can't get 11.6kwh charing, that the car is limited to 9.6kwh. I've challenged him to tell me if this was just conservative spec by Porsche in MY20 and later changed by software to allow "full charging speed" or an actual difference in parts. He admitted he didn't know, I asked for the parts diagram, no response.

I bought my MY20 Turbo S last summer (Aug) with 1500 miles on it.

Besides the standard recalls during that period (PCM update, air conditioner replacement, reduction of charging speed on mobile charger from 40KW to 20KW), the car has performed flawlessly.

I now have @12,000 miles on it.

I use Apple Car Play with Waze and Spotify mostly, and everything works!

I don't know for sure, but I don't think there are any cosmetic changes to the car's exterior for MY21 - 24.

I'm in Canada, and buying the used Taycan before Sept 1, 2022, avoided $20,000 in luxury taxes the Canadian gov't was implementing and saved me a 12-month wait.

A year ago, I got goofy money for my trade-ins (Jag XKR and 2012 911 Turbo S), so it was pretty much a no-brainer for me, and I don't regret not getting the latest model.

You don't miss what you never had so others can post whether there were some additional goodies in the later model Taycans that you might be missing out on.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
The 2020 does charge when plugged in - except on "Plug and Charge" stations, since it doesn't have the hardware. It can be updated to add it, though. For those, you start the charge through the app.

Home/normal/L2 charging, though, starts as expected, no app needed.

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
oh that’s EA or EC’s network? Thanks for clarifying!

The 2020 does charge when plugged in - except on "Plug and Charge" stations, since it doesn't have the hardware. It can be updated to add it, though. For those, you start the charge through the app.

Home/normal/L2 charging, though, starts as expected, no app needed.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
YES! Someone Advised me the MY20 will not start charging automatically unless Started Through App. This seems a bit, ummm, bananas? For lack of a better word! 😀

What in the world doesn't start charging when you plug in it?! (waiting for the list of devices!)

I can hear Helmut, the lead engineer: "Yeah ve don't vant zee charging to sdart undil zee client sbecically vants it, yah?"
2019/2020 do not support the Plug&Charge protocol for FastDC chargers - but they can start charging at a FastDc charger if it's _FREE_ - the reason to use an app to start a charging session at a public/commercial EV charger is for billing purposes - the car has no way to identify itself to the charger for billing for the session…only 2021 and later Taycan support plug&charge for account billing which is normally required prior to the charge session starting…

for normal home charging the car will start charging as governed by it's onboard timers/profiles

interesting note: sometimes Electrify america charging sessions are enabled for "free" unbilled charging - in the case where an EA site is offering "free" charging the car starts charging immediately after plugging in with no app activation required - this is not the same as plug&charge

plug&charge is about the car having a method to identify itself to a charging vendor and negotiate the account/billing-information for commercial payment.

Porsche has an official "upgrade" kit to replace the standard 11 kW onboard charger with a 19.2 kW charger - if you apply this "kit" to 2019/2020 Taycan's you also get plug&charge support along with the new shiny 19.2 kW onboard charger - cost appears to be about ~$5000 installed (parts & labor at your local Porsche dealer) - not worth it in my opinion - but YMMV.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

2019/2020 Taycan (and all Taycans) support 11 kW charging

see this thread - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-charger-48-amps-not-max-9-6-kw-40-amps.1793/

in North America Porsche's mobile EVSE PMC+/PMCC is limited to 9.6 kw - because it's a MOBILE EVSE - _ALL_ mobile EVSE's in north america are limited to 9.6 kW - thats the maximum power a 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50/6-50 outlet can handle.

11 kW charging requires a _HARDWIRED_ EVSE in North America w/60 amp breaker - the Porsche Wall Charger Connect (PWCC) or many many many non-Porsche EVSE's support providing 11 kW (or more) to a Taycan.

Porsche remains confused to this day about the onboard charger's limits and the limits of their EVSE with their current standard equipment on porscheuse site properly listing the Taycan's onbaoard charger as 11 kW, and also asserting that the PMC+ is an 11 kW EVSE w/NEMA 14-50/6-50 supply cable which is technically IMPOSSIBLE…

Porsche Pro's and dealers/sales people in general KNOW NOTHING about EV charging and are generally WRONG/CONFUSED and often time mislead people.

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation as always! I inquired about the 19.2 kit and it’s almost C6K installed here, that’s pretty steep.

T used to offer it for about $1000 more than Porsche’s price $(2800 vs 1800) but it was dealer only installed, called a dual charger. It was a luxury option, not really needed but a bit of fun to see it charging at 2x the rate.

2019/2020 do not support the Plug&Charge protocol for FastDC chargers - but they can start charging at a FastDc charger if it's _FREE_ - the reason to use an app to start a charging session at a public/commercial EV charger is for billing purposes - the car has no way to identify itself to the charger for billing for the session…only 2021 and later Taycan support plug&charge for account billing which is normally required prior to the charge session starting…

for normal home charging the car will start charging as governed by it's onboard timers/profiles

interesting note: sometimes Electrify america charging sessions are enabled for "free" unbilled charging - in the case where an EA site is offering "free" charging the car starts charging immediately after plugging in with no app activation required - this is not the same as plug&charge

plug&charge is about the car having a method to identify itself to a charging vendor and negotiate the account/billing-information for commercial payment.

Porsche has an official "upgrade" kit to replace the standard 11 kW onboard charger with a 19.2 kW charger - if you apply this "kit" to 2019/2020 Taycan's you also get plug&charge support along with the new shiny 19.2 kW onboard charger - cost appears to be about ~$5000 installed (parts & labor at your local Porsche dealer) - not worth it in my opinion - but YMMV.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation as always! I inquired about the 19.2 kit and it’s almost C6K installed here, that’s pretty steep.

T used to offer it for about $1000 more than Porsche’s price $(2800 vs 1800) but it was dealer only installed, called a dual charger. It was a luxury option, not really needed but a bit of fun to see it charging at 2x the rate.
I owned 2 Model S's both with the 80 amp dual charger and a 2016 Model X P90D w/dual chargers - later discontinued for my replacement 2017 Model X P100D w/72 amp onbaord charger

I love faster charging and still have a 100 amp Tesla Gen2 wall charger powered/ready in my garage - but alas no vehicles to take advantage of it.

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
FWIW - while researching to buy a CPO Taycan and after reading a lot of posts about the dramatic lack of a plug n charge capability in MY2020 (back of hand on brow in horror)……. I almost dismissed 2020 as an option ……. Then…..

A perfect MY2020 spec (for me) came available as a CPO near me so I went for it anyway ……. after a month of ownership/use and a 1500 mile road trip including a spell over the 49th parallel …….. opening up my phone and pressing my overworked opposable on an app to charge the car is actually pretty painless ……. Who’d a thunked it 😳. …… so plug n charge schmugncharge …… not missed it one iota …… don’t waste a second on worrying about it if the car is right…..

OP
OP

Jupeman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 GT3, '09 Cayenne Turbo S, '14 Cayman, '16 GT3
Country flag
FWIW - while researching to buy a CPO Taycan and after reading a lot of posts about the dramatic lack of a plug n charge capability in MY2020 (back of hand on brow in horror)……. I almost dismissed 2020 as an option ……. Then…..

A perfect MY2020 spec (for me) came available as a CPO near me so I went for it anyway ……. after a month of ownership/use and a 1500 mile road trip including a spell over the 49th parallel …….. opening up my phone and pressing my overworked opposable on an app to charge the car is actually pretty painless ……. Who’d a thunked it 😳. …… so plug n charge schmugncharge …… not missed it one iota …… don’t waste a second on worrying about it if the car is right…..
Cool, thanks! My only hang-up at this point is the depreciation as I'd get the car with 4 years effectively unlimited mileage warranty which buys me some time to see how it overall behaves and fits into the stable as it continues to plummet in value. However, in my best YOLO Porsche addiction, I'm going to send over an offer on this target car soon today.
Sponsored