When do you plug your Charger in?

iSTATUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I have my parameters set at 85% and charging to start at 11pm. Do you guys plug the charger into the car earlier? I've been experiencing some issues where I plug it in at 9pm and it's giving me a "RED" error msg in the app. At 11pm I would need to manually go into my Emporia charger app to manually push it through to start charging.

Thanks
Sponsored

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
I have a Juicebox and I can tell you I never even downloaded its app. I figured if the Porsche one, as unintuitive as it is (in my opinion), doesn't work then I'll check it out. But the Porsche app is fine once you tweak it to your parameters.

From my recent review of charging threads it seems some people can charge using a profile only, but I think those of us who need to charge at certain times are using a profile + timer. Set a repeating every day timer to 85% and a Home profile for a preferred charging period overnight with a minimum lower than 85%.

And ditch the EVSE app in my opinion. Last thing we need is anything competing with the already complicated and somewhat wonky tech in our Taycans.

JustWatching

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (April '22)
Country flag
I have a Chargepoint Home with a schedule to charge after 9pm and stop at 3pm to get the utility rebates. No timers in the Taycan just a general profile set at 85%. I plug in before 9pm. Taycan starts charging at 9pm. I don't get any errors.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I have my parameters set at 85% and charging to start at 11pm. Do you guys plug the charger into the car earlier? I've been experiencing some issues where I plug it in at 9pm and it's giving me a "RED" error msg in the app. At 11pm I would need to manually go into my Emporia charger app to manually push it through to start charging.
Are you programming the car, the EVSE, or both? (The correct answer is 'the car'.)

OP
OP

iSTATUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Are you programming the car, the EVSE, or both? (The correct answer is 'the car'.)
I'm programming both at the moment. With the EVSE charger app I can see how much kw i'm getting and charged for it.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I'm programming both at the moment. With the EVSE charger app I can see how much kw i'm getting and charged for it.
Well, don't, because the car expects the charger to sent the current/power that the car is asking for. That is, treat the EVSE as a dumb dispenser of energy. You can still see in the EVSE app how much power it dispensed (and when). Plenty of threads on this around here.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag

Thanks
PG&E says prime charging is best 12 am until 3 pm. After that the rates go up

Thanks
PG&E gives us an EV-2A rate for electric vehicles and best time to charge in that rate is 12 am until 3pm. So I try to charge somewhere in that area. Also having solar and a Tesla battery keeps the bills very low. Check with your provider to see if there are special rates for your EV and best times.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
PG&E says prime charging is best 12 am until 3 pm. After that the rates go up

PG&E gives us an EV-2A rate for electric vehicles and best time to charge in that rate is 12 am until 3pm. So I try to charge somewhere in that area. Also having solar and a Tesla battery keeps the bills very low. Check with your provider to see if there are special rates for your EV and best times.
What is the rate comparison and how much do you save per charge?

I compared PGE plans and rate by time period and the savings was immaterial. It’s been about 18 months since I checked it.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
If I'm understanding your correctly, you want to see the KW usage put out by the charger. If so, the Emporia app will show you that info regardless of whether you schedule charging through the app. We have 2 Emporias and have never scheduled anything through the app - just the PCM/Porsche app - and I Emporia app still shows all the data you want.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag

Thanks
I have Emporia and experienced the same. This is what I do and never had an issue since. I have same rate regardless of time, so I others will have to adjust my notes to help you with that if you want to charge during cheaper rate times.

Treat EVSE as others said as just the dumb dispenser and let the car do the work.

Step 1: Set Timer in my case 6am and 85%. I plug in when I get to below 20% anytime in the evening.
Step 2: Using Emporia App turn the power delivery On, if I did not do that step then the car would give me a Red. Then Emporia EVSE makes some noises to start up and then the App would say it is providing charge and waiting to be plugged in to the car.
Step 3: Now plug Emporia cable to the car. Car blinks white and then goes Green. Car accepting charge for a little bit and then goes Blue since it has plenty of time to get to the target.
Step 4: I check the car in the morning and sure thing it is 85% every time. Turn Emporia Off in the App.
Step 5: Unplug Emporia cable from the car.

This has not failed me once since I started including action in Step 2 by turning power delivery on first, which starts the charger up.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I do the same as @SergeyIndy. My Wallbox is in my garage so it is always on. I only have to do step 1 :just plug it in when I park in the evening and it is charged in the morning at 6am.

I sunny summer weekends I set the Wallbox to only charge on solar power. When the power isn’t sufficient the Wallbox stops and I do get a charging error message / red led on the car. However when the sun is back charging just starts again. I don’t have to unplug and plug.

Frankcan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 S
Country flag
The EV tariff from my local supplier kicks in at 1am to 6am, I just got a charger fitted last week, its manufactured by Zappi, the spark who installed it set it up to start charging at 2am to allow for the change to BST (British summer time) so I never need to change it when the clocks go back, I have actually only needed to plug it in twice over the last 10 days, the car is set to 85%

e92er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Agree with other statements. I plug my car in when I get home around 4pm but the time+profile are set to charge between 11pm and 7am for the best rates. Car will "ask" for electricity at 11pm and be charged and ready to go for me by 615. I don't have anything at all set up on my EVSE and haven't even looked at the EVSE app since I installed it.
Sponsored