Do you charge at your local Porsche dealer?

OP
OP

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
I charge at the dealership once every 2 years (service time)!

The charge for electricity is too high given you are charged for time as well as juice.

Invariably a non EV occupying the spaces.

Rarely got 50% of the possible 270kW (350kW EVSEs).

In general, a great facility when available but marred by the charges (it's not free even with the Taycan charge card or app).

Odd you were challenged...why did they install them in the first place!!?
Dealers were required by Porsche to install ChargeFox chargers. Porsche issues a ChargeFox card to every new Taycan owner, good for 3 years of free charging at any ChargeFox regardless of its location. Apparently (as explained by the dealer principle) the dealers assumed that Porsche would pick up the electricity costs. I can understand why a dealer may not be happy with Porsche in this regard.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Dealers were required by Porsche to install ChargeFox chargers. Porsche issues a ChargeFox card to every new Taycan owner, good for 3 years of free charging at any ChargeFox regardless of its location. Apparently (as explained by the dealer principle) the dealers assumed that Porsche would pick up the electricity costs. I can understand why a dealer may not be happy with Porsche in this regard.
In Europe we get the Taycan card - advertised as "free" - the card might be but what you consume and how long you take are subsidised but never free. Different arrangements for different regions I guess. The card (or My Porsche app) also works with affiliated partners who use non branded Porsche EVSEs.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
ha ha. yeah, it's call All You Can Eat. So you take the WHOLE FOOD TRAY haha.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Interesting - I never received any sort of card. I have to go in and ask the front desk.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I think you get free electric from EA? We get a free piece of plastic!.
Id rather have the plastic, EA charging is worth less. 😂

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche Austin is my home dealership. They're the nicest folks; like @DerekS mentions, there's not a convenient EA fast charger near the city center in Austin or Dallas, so the Porsche dealership is quite convenient.

You do have to ask for the RFID card to start the charger. I checked out the card with an NFC app on my phone, and it's some kind of encrypted version of MIFARE. Asking the receptionist for the card does feel a little like asking for the bathroom key at sketchy bars / restaurants, but I guess it is what it is.

The GM at Porsche Austin told me the charging infrastructure cost nearly $1M to install, I'm guessing because a new 3-phase AC line had to be hooked into the municipal power. That said, a single charge at the dealership likely incurs a similar cost as the cookie and coffee that one would consume in the waiting area!

Porsche Taycan Do you charge at your local Porsche dealer? PXL_20221229_160958866

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
So I'm in the middle of a recent road trip. Wanted to avoid what I knew would be a really bad EA location. Plug Share showed the problems from our last trip 3 months back hadn't been addressed. Called the Porsche dealer in the area and was assured it would be no problem to charge there. They had two level 2 chargers and a single DC unit. Of course they had parked one of their gas cars in front of the charger. One handle of the unit was inoperative. The second handle worked at a truly fantastic 40kW. It was able to maintain that wonderful rate for all of 10 minutes. Restarted the session and this time it was 35kW for 3 minutes. The unit was probably overheating as the handle was painfully hot to touch. Only one isolated dealer experience but holy crap it was just like going to EA, which I had to do anyway since I couldn't get a charge and wound up at the crippled EA unit anyway (max charge rate was 53kW). The dealership personnel were very accomodating but my sense was that the dealership had made a bare minimum committment to the charging requirement.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I don’t visit my local dealer to charge up. It’s 2 miles from my house and roughly 6x the price. I go there for a bit of friendly chat occasionally if passing but (hopefully!) not enough to irritate them.
In UK we pay for chargers at Porsche dealerships. I think it’s taking the piss to turn up and expect a free charge. You would never expect a Porsche dealer to fill up the tank of your 911 while you drank free coffee?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I don’t visit my local dealer to charge up. It’s 2 miles from my house and roughly 6x the price. I go there for a bit of friendly chat occasionally if passing but (hopefully!) not enough to irritate them.
In UK we pay for chargers at Porsche dealerships. I think it’s taking the piss to turn up and expect a free charge. You would never expect a Porsche dealer to fill up the tank of your 911 while you drank free coffee?
True, unless part of the package you bought included free charging as part of it. I've never owned a Tesla, but i believe they (use to) offer free charging in the UK? So it's only really taking the piss if you're doing it under the radar. More of a piss-take from the dealership if they're discouraging you from using it, to stop you claiming your 'free' fuel (which is no doubt somewhere in the car's purchase price).
If the US dealership didn't know/cost what they were getting in to, tough sh1t. I didn't realise it would cost a couple of grand to get the wheels aligned and could only be done at a dealership, but i didn't think to check. That's my tough luck too i guess....

C130

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Hybrid, 24 Taycan
Country flag
Honestly, I think it’s a little weird if you go there every week and charge, drink coffee, etc. I wouldn’t even do that at the dealer I bought from. But, if it’s part of the deal in purchasing a Porsche EV then too bad for that particular dealership.

I just got our Taycan and was wondering what the rules were regarding charging at any Porsche dealership. There’s a Porsche dealership right by where my son lives in Houston so it would be nice to charge there on occasion if needed. More concerned if
traveling.

I did ask 3 local dealerships I visited trying to get our Taycan and never got a clear response on charging at dealerships.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Honestly, I think it’s a little weird if you go there every week and charge, drink coffee, etc. I wouldn’t even do that at the dealer I bought from. But, if it’s part of the deal in purchasing a Porsche EV then too bad for that particular dealership.

I just got our Taycan and was wondering what the rules were regarding charging at any Porsche dealership. There’s a Porsche dealership right by where my son lives in Houston so it would be nice to charge there on occasion if needed. More concerned if
traveling.

I did ask 3 local dealerships I visited trying to get our Taycan and never got a clear response on charging at dealerships.
the porsche dealerships were required by porsche to install the L3 chargers, and most of them have done that however almost every dealership, regardless of brand, keeps the unit locked, charging has to be initiated by an employee. the few times I attempted to charge at my local dealership they couldn't get the system to initialize. these dealerships were forced into investing a lot of money into chargers that are rarely used.
a footnote is that GM forced the cadillac dealers to install a bunch of equipment for EVs, many dealerships refused and gave up their franchise.
Sponsored