When will Porsche release a 1000HP Taycan?

Porsche10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, 911
Country flag
After seeing the plaid SUV and sedan do low 9 second 1/4 mile runs, I can’t help but wonder when Porsche is going to release something similarly powered. Now to premise this, I hate Tesla. I would never own their cars. They are the complete opposite of everything I want as a car enthusiast who enjoys driving. With that being said, it seems that other brands have already released high powered suvs such as the hummer EV that can go 0-60 in 3 seconds. I don’t think Tesla is cross shopped with Porsche as one is an American company and the other is a luxury European exotic brand, but I feel like the Taycan needs a HP update. The whole point of EV’s is the straight line performance (since you give up weight and sound and top end speed in return). Even looking at the Taycan vs the panamera, the panamera isn’t THAT much slower than the Taycan until you get to the turbo S. The panamera gts does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds whereas the Taycan gts only does like 3.6… you could easily just ECU tune a panamera (if you aren’t buying a Taycan TTS) and it will be faster than the lower trim Taycans for the same price. I feel like Porsche is severely under powering their EV’s. They definitely can make the Taycan have more power if they wanted. The question is when?
Sponsored

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
The Turbo S is unlikely to make more power via just a software update. While the battery pack should be able to provide at least 1000hp (745kw) of power to motors, the issue is motor limitation. All of the 1000hp EVs are tri motor setups, while the turbo s is dual motor. There is a limit to the amount of torque, and by extension HP, an EV motor can create with current technology. Thus Porsche would probably have to come out with a tri motor variant of the taycan. The question is whether current chassis packaging allows for that. I'm sure they'll find a way, but it seems more of a substantive change that at minimum will have to be for the face-lift, but potentially the next gen taycan

I do agree that the lower trims may be software limited however, in order to increase the gap between the trim levels. The GTS can realistically probably have the same power as the Turbo given same motors (I believe). For the 4S I think you could probably squeeze out a bit more torque and hp. And for the RWD I think it's not delivering peak torque at the beginning to handicap 0-60, although I don't know if the rwd can generate much more peak torque and hp

Last edited:

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
After seeing the plaid SUV and sedan do low 9 second 1/4 mile runs, I can’t help but wonder when Porsche is going to release something similarly powered. Now to premise this, I hate Tesla. I would never own their cars. They are the complete opposite of everything I want as a car enthusiast who enjoys driving. With that being said, it seems that other brands have already released high powered suvs such as the hummer EV that can go 0-60 in 3 seconds. I don’t think Tesla is cross shopped with Porsche as one is an American company and the other is a luxury European exotic brand, but I feel like the Taycan needs a HP update. The whole point of EV’s is the straight line performance (since you give up weight and sound and top end speed in return). Even looking at the Taycan vs the panamera, the panamera isn’t THAT much slower than the Taycan until you get to the turbo S. The panamera gts does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds whereas the Taycan gts only does like 3.6… you could easily just ECU tune a panamera (if you aren’t buying a Taycan TTS) and it will be faster than the lower trim Taycans for the same price. I feel like Porsche is severely under powering their EV’s. They definitely can make the Taycan have more power if they wanted. The question is when?
Who cares. Its an irrelevant measure at this level and means nothing. I know some people think you can never have enough power but this is a fallacy because it serves no practical use except perhaps on a track for bragging rights. Someone once said to me "you will run out of talent well before the car hits its limitations"...

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Who cares. Its an irrelevant measure at this level and means nothing. I know some people think you can never have enough power but this is a fallacy because it serves no practical use except perhaps on a track for bragging rights. Someone once said to me "you will run out of talent well before the car hits its limitations"...
This. I almost sprung for the Turbo and now after owning my 4S, I'm glad I saved the money. It's already crazy fast for the street and more power would have no impact on my enjoyment of it. I've owned a 3 second car and found that all that power was useless on the street for anything other than getting me thrown in jail.

Draman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
While you can easily make the argument that the Taycan is, as is, "fast enough", Porsche will probably have to up the power and performance just to remain competitive at some point. As the OP stated, cars that are less expensive and less performance oriented, such as the Hummer, will easily beat any Taycan short of the Turbo S (in a straight line). The KIA/Hyundai duo will probably do the same once the GT/N versions are released and they will be 1/3 the price, if not less. Lucid and Tesla already mop the floor with the Turbo S in a straight line. The Plaid with the ceramic brake option will more than likely beat the Turbo S on a track as well based on the fact that a Plaid with aftermarket brakes already did so. I would assume there will be a pretty dramatic power increase during the mid cycle refresh

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
This. I almost sprung for the Turbo and now after owning my 4S, I'm glad I saved the money. It's already crazy fast for the street and more power would have no impact on my enjoyment of it. I've owned a 3 second car and found that all that power was useless on the street for anything other than getting me thrown in jail.
(Archimedes if you will allow me)

I almost sprung for the 4S and now after owning my RWD, I'm glad I saved the money. It's already crazy plenty fast for the street and more power would have no impact on my enjoyment of it (and) useless on the street for anything other than getting me thrown in jail.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Having owned a number of fast cars, IMO, street usefulness disappears below 3.5 seconds. Anything sub 4 seconds is seriously quick, and as you approach 3 seconds, it's just stupid fast, way too much for the street environment, and honestly the only thing even keeping those cars on the road are all the safety nannies. Absent that, folks would be binning their fast cars left and right.

To me, the sweet spot for a street car is 3.3-4.0 second speed.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Much as I'll be comforted by knowing I'll have a "mere" 600ish bhp if my Taycan Turbo ever gets delivered... with typical driving conditions around these parts, even with a 4.5 seconds to 60 car like my current Cayenne E Hybrid there's a fine line between comfortably exploiting its launch potential, and looking like a tool with my pants on fire.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
While you can easily make the argument that the Taycan is, as is, "fast enough", Porsche will probably have to up the power and performance just to remain competitive at some point. As the OP stated, cars that are less expensive and less performance oriented, such as the Hummer, will easily beat any Taycan short of the Turbo S (in a straight line). The KIA/Hyundai duo will probably do the same once the GT/N versions are released and they will be 1/3 the price, if not less. Lucid and Tesla already mop the floor with the Turbo S in a straight line. The Plaid with the ceramic brake option will more than likely beat the Turbo S on a track as well based on the fact that a Plaid with aftermarket brakes already did so. I would assume there will be a pretty dramatic power increase during the mid cycle refresh
I'm not so sure that Porsche cares about what cheaper competitors are doing. After all, a Kia Stinger GT is faster than a base Panamera in 0-60, and a Ram TRX is faster than a Panamera 4S. On the top end, you need to step up to a Panamera Turbo S to get performance in-line with an M5 Comp that's 2/3rds the price. In general, I've felt Porsche has never really been a "value" brand, and in terms of comparable raw stats is always a more expensive car than near-peer (BMW, Merc) competitors, to say nothing of budget competitors (Dodge Hellcats, etc.). Yet in reviews, Porsches still end up getting the nod in spite of the significant price differential because of the refinement and driver focus they deliver as a complete package

At the end of the day, because the EV landscape is still small and developing, cars in different classes end up getting compared to one another. Most people in reality don't cross shop a Charger Hellcat and a Panamera GTS despite being similar formats and accel, and certainly don't cross shop a TRX and Panamera 4S. Comparing a Tesla Model 3 Performance to a Taycan because of acceleration alone is like comparing a BMW M340i to a Panamera in the ICE world

All that said, I would agree that Porsche will want to take back the performance crown on their top end Turbo S model. That does seem to be something they have historically been interested in - having their top model, no matter the price, be world-beating. I could for sure see them developing a Taycan Turbo GT model that's a tri-motor setup

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
Porsche don't make drag cars. They make sports cars that go round bends and and drive sublimely. 0-60 straight line speed times are not what a Porsche is about. The fact that the power plant of the Taycan is electric and not say a flat 6 is almost irrelevant to its main purpose of being a Porsche. Its just a new evolution of the brand. Which will never be a drag car.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Porsche don't make drag cars. They make sports cars that go round bends and and drive sublimely. 0-60 straight line speed times are not what a Porsche is about. The fact that the power plant of the Taycan is electric and not say a flat 6 is almost irrelevant to its main purpose of being a Porsche. Its just a new evolution of the brand. Which will never be a drag car.
Exactly. I love our Taycan. Great for trips, commuting and just plain everyday driving. However when its time to have fun driving the hills and backroads, my old Boxster 987S, top down, screaming flat 6 with a "measly" 300HP 0-60 5.1 sec is my choice every time. (That is perhaps until it's traded in for a 718 EV)

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche isn’t going to make the Taycan faster than the 911. So the Taycan will get faster if the 911 gets faster.