Wifi in the charger?

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Today I used the Porsche charger which comes with the car for the first time (I've charged on my home station, which I installed for my Tesla) and was amazed to discover that even though the car doesn't let you connect to a wifi, the charger itself DOES CONNECT to the wifi and search for updates. It has this iPhone like display and you enter your SSID and password and it connects and stays connected. Also, a small cloud appears next to the wifi sign - whatever that is.

It did not find any updates, but this leads me to believe the updates would come through the charger's wifi. Anyone else tried this?
Sponsored

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
Today I used the Porsche charger which comes with the car for the first time (I've charged on my home station, which I installed for my Tesla) and was amazed to discover that even though the car doesn't let you connect to a wifi, the charger itself DOES CONNECT to the wifi and search for updates. It has this iPhone like display and you enter your SSID and password and it connects and stays connected. Also, a small cloud appears next to the wifi sign - whatever that is.

It did not find any updates, but this leads me to believe the updates would come through the charger's wifi. Anyone else tried this?
I LOVE my T. Turbo , could not be happier but I am struggling as I expected with the tech side of this. I am hoping by next week rules change a bit and I can have my long overdue appointment with a sit down to go over that part of this. My charge is working fine I think but lots of it are not talking to my phone the way it should and again this is a weak part to my game for sure and I have so much to try and learn.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag

So.....I'm sorry....you are saying the Mobil Charger Connect links w/your home wifi?.........so, what does that get you?.......'search for updates".....you are thinking 'updates' from Porsche for the Mobil Charger Connect?
This is still not a 'smart charger" is it?.......i.e. set charge times, durations.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Page 10 of the manual explains the cloud icon and it appears that the software updates spoken of are for the charger but also the charger also offers a hotspot so you can configure the charger via your phone witout a local WiFi. This certainly is not your father's charger...

Page 10
Porsche Taycan Wifi in the charger? Screenshot_20200511-153535

Link to the manual
https://files.porsche.com/filestore...e-Mobile-Charger-Connect-Operating-Manual.pdf

pkkaiser

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100DL and soon a Taycan!
Country flag
Cool Ron........looks like some of the magic might be in the app......we'll see......looking forward to playing w/it.
Put charger on my home wifi and it immediately started downloading a software update, so yes, the wifi is used for updating the charger...too bad the car doesn't do this like my old tesla

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Put charger on my home wifi and it immediately started downloading a software update, so yes, the wifi is used for updating the charger...too bad the car doesn't do this like my old tesla
The car will do OTA updates for Infotainment and navigation for now. Porsche is not ready to risk updates that affect drivability OTA just yet. I know that can be a pain if nearest dealership is over an hour away. But I understand their conservative nature, as they do more and more updates and get them rock solid I'm pretty sure they will move towards all updates being OTA.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Do you need to subscribe to Porsche Connect to access the charger via a wireless connection?

e.g. does the charger switch from smart to dumb if you sell the car/stop paying for connect?

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Do you need to subscribe to Porsche Connect to access the charger via a wireless connection?

e.g. does the charger switch from smart to dumb if you sell the car/stop paying for connect?
"Paying for connect".......I'm curious, it costs something over there?.....how much?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

I do not think that the charger is linked to the connect app? Not my charger at least unless I have missed something? I can connect to it through my home network and access the data that way.
I have not found any app for connecting to the charger otherwise.

kevinod

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 971
Country flag

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I do not think that the charger is linked to the connect app? Not my charger at least unless I have missed something? I can connect to it through my home network and access the data that way.
I have not found any app for connecting to the charger otherwise.
Page 10 of the manual explains the cloud icon and it appears that the software updates spoken of are for the charger but also the charger also offers a hotspot so you can configure the charger via your phone witout a local WiFi. This certainly is not your father's charger...
The charger can be linked to a myPorsche account. This is one step in the system bring up, when you set it up first time. The config option however should also be somewhere in the settings menus. It presents a QR code that you can scan to get to the corresponding webpage.

from the manual how to scan the QR code
"- Using the Porsche Connect app (My Account > Charging cables & devices > Scan QR code).
– Using the camera on your device (iOS 11 or higher, different for Android)."

When it is connected to the Internet via Wifi or Powerline/PLC network it will look for software updates. Additionally when you linked it to your myPorsche ID it will also upload charging session information to the portal and by this the data should get available in your connect app. There is no extra app for the charger. Only the Webapp you can use for configuring the device or download charge session data locally to your PC.

You can also configure an additional PIN code that is only usable to unlock the charger for charging

When you bought an energy manager also you would need the Wifi/PLC connection too to integrate the charger and use the smart charging features together with the Taycan, like tariff driven charge profiles or simply a blackout protection when the overall power consumption in your house reaches a critical level.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Thanks I will have a deeper look tomorrow.

And I have set it up so that I can see the actual charging session in my Porsche Connect app. It shows the charging rate in kW and also the km per minute. I thought that actually came via the car and not the charger.

Good information Thank You!

OP
OP
tnikolov

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The charger can be linked to a myPorsche account. This is one step in the system bring up, when you set it up first time. The config option however should also be somewhere in the settings menus. It presents a QR code that you can scan to get to the corresponding webpage.

from the manual how to scan the QR code
"- Using the Porsche Connect app (My Account > Charging cables & devices > Scan QR code).
– Using the camera on your device (iOS 11 or higher, different for Android)."

When it is connected to the Internet via Wifi or Powerline/PLC network it will look for software updates. Additionally when you linked it to your myPorsche ID it will also upload charging session information to the portal and by this the data should get available in your connect app. There is no extra app for the charger. Only the Webapp you can use for configuring the device or download charge session data locally to your PC.

You can also configure an additional PIN code that is only usable to unlock the charger for charging

When you bought an energy manager also you would need the Wifi/PLC connection too to integrate the charger and use the smart charging features together with the Taycan, like tariff driven charge profiles or simply a blackout protection when the overall power consumption in your house reaches a critical level.

Hope that helps.
I don’t see a way to connect my charger in the Porsche Connect app. I also cannot find this charging and cables option at all...
Sponsored