Will Electric 718 EV Have NACS and/or CCS Connector(s)?

What Charging Connector Will The Electric 718 Have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
What do you think?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
What do you think?
CCS no question - NACS would be Macan .2 at the earliest - following by the .2 718 - all the "charging" decisions are locked/loaded for any pseudo products announced and in "mule" testing - both Macan/718 are pretty well locked/loaded at this point.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wish it would be NACS but at this point I'm sure it'll be CCS because it's too far into development to change now....even though it'll probably save a lot of money if they switch to NACS.

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wish it would be NACS but at this point I'm sure it'll be CCS because it's too far into development to change now....even though it'll probably save a lot of money if they switch to NACS.
No matter the form factor, the receptacle should be a FRU. So if Porsche made the decision to switch to NACS it would just be a design on a new receptacle that fits in the existing CCS space. Since NACS is smaller than CCS it should be doable. Yes, I’m oversimplifying but you get my drift.

OTOH, IRRC MY23 still had a CD player, so…

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
With other brands announcing just a few months ago that they’re going to equip their 2025 cars with NACS, I don’t think it’s too late for Porsche to adapt. Sounds like they’re considering delaying the launch of Macan EV anyways so this would give them the perfect chance to move to NACS. It’s going to look pretty silly of them if every other North American brand is advertising NACS and reliable charging infrastructure in 2025 and they’re not.

fika

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Changing the port is a matter of plastic mouldings and some different electrical connections. The real hurdle is the software and systems that communicate with the Tesla superchargers. Superchargers also don't have card payment options at the station (looks like the V4 might be the first to get this), so you'll need either the Tesla app which right now only works for non-Tesla at the CCS enabled stations (in the USA anyway), or Porsche will have to integrate this into their own app.

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
It’s not just the matter of changing the port. It’s all the road testing in the coldest and hottest of climates that takes time.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also NACS is multiple plexed AC/DC - so it required different wire harnesses, and some different onboard charging hardware and software to deal with it all…

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if/when VW/Audi/Porsche go for NACS - there will be questions
  • continue to offer two ports on left/right of vehicle?
  • one J-1772 & one NACS
  • one NACS & one CCS1?
  • AC only NACS?
  • DC only NACS/
  • AC/DC NACS
    • one port or two ports
for example you could do
  • driver's side NACS port - AC & DC charging
  • passenger side CCS1 port - AC & DC charging
as just one potential configuration option

so VW/Audi/Porsceh will need to sort this out - as mentioned the problem with NACS is the fact that it's both AC & DC charging - so it requires some different on board charging hardware than can de-mux the AC/DC high voltage inputs…so it's more than just "swapping" a port - wire harness, onboard hardware, and software changes are required - unless you want to just support AC charging only - but it's less compelling to switch to NACS for AC only charging - that _IS_ just a port swap as TeslaTap proves…we already have that.

the "cleanest" solution for VW/Audi/Porsche in my opinion is an NACS adapter for supercharging…and supercharger access via app based activation.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also what will VW/Audi/Porsche (and others) do for their North American hybrids? Will those go to NACS also for their L1/L2 AC charging support or remain J-1772?

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
It will have a CCS3 connector which physically looks like the Tesla connector but is owned by the standards organization.
Sponsored