Windscreen different colour

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
Hi guys, I noticed some Taycans have a windscreen that is in a slightly different colour than the side windows - do you know which option results in this, is it the thermally insulated glass? I would like to have the same colour glass everywhere, including the windscreen, hopefully this is possible..

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi guys, I noticed some Taycans have a windscreen that is in a slightly different colour than the side windows - do you know which option results in this, is it the thermally insulated glass? I would like to have the same colour glass everywhere, including the windscreen, hopefully this is possible..

Thanks in advance!
Yes. Noise insulating glass (same effect as the roof). Optional and reduces cabin noise further and enhanced thermals. Kind of a marmite choice for some I guess.

Two options - with / without privacy and extends beyond windscreen.

OP
OP

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
Thanks!
So the noise insulation is giving it this tint/colour? And you can order either windscreen or all windows with this?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks!
So the noise insulation is giving it this tint/colour? And you can order either windscreen or all windows with this?
The options are:

1. Standard tinted windows
2. Privacy glass (blackened rear passenger and rear window)
3. Acoustically insulated laminated glass
4. Acoustically insulated laminated privacy glass.

Option 4

Thermally and noise insulated laminated glass for more efficient reflection of infrared radiation for:​
- noticeably quieter outside noise​
- UV protection​
- reduced heating of the interior​
Dark-tinted glazing in the rear side windows and the rear screen and windscreen with darker tint at the top to reduce glare​
The ‘colour’ you see (depending on how the light hits it) is only noticeable on the front windscreen so don’t expect the same effect all round.

Personally I think it looks odd and prefer the privacy glass only. There are benefits to having it but please don’t select on a cosmetic basis. The car is already quiet (impressively so) but with option 3 or 4 it is enhanced further. So noise insulation is one aspect (think of double glazing). There will be no discernible difference from the inside looking out.

OP
OP

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
Great, so it sounds like if I go with the standard glass (Option 1), I will not get the different "colour" for the windscreen, so all glass pieces will be the same "colour" :)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes indeed but don’t you want / like the privacy option - enhances the exterior, doesn’t alter the windscreen and not noticeable from the inside (99% of cars will specify this)?

OP
OP

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
To be honest, I have always preferred the uniform look of plain windows.. when you have the privacy glass, you end up with one half tinted, the other half plain glass.. it's just a visual thing for me, some people do like the tinted glass.

Btw are you sure the privacy glass is not darker when looking from inside out? Other cars I've been in are definitely darker at the back when there is privacy glass, and I would prefer to have more light in the car if possible..

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
To be honest, I have always preferred the uniform look of plain windows.. when you have the privacy glass, you end up with one half tinted, the other half plain glass.. it's just a visual thing for me, some people do like the tinted glass.

Btw are you sure the privacy glass is not darker when looking from inside out? I cars I've been in are definitely darker at the back when there is privacy glass, and I would prefer to have more light in the car if possible..
Stick to STD then.
Sponsored