Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Last weekend, while driving my Turbo on the highway, all of a sudden something collided with my windshield (a big truck was on the opposite lane a second or so earlier). Although it seemed that everything was ok, after I arrived and on closer inspection, I could see an impact and a crack that extended to the bottom end of the windshield and curved up around 20 cm.

It seems like a full replacement is needed, but I’m worried that this will be, not only very expensive, but also perhaps not done to factory standard.

Any experience from anyone else will help me to decide what to do. It is the first time something like this happens to any of my cars.

Thanks in advance for your comments guys!

Porsche Taycan Windshield crack 24041F8E-784D-4ED5-9D92-58AE79A5AA9A
Sponsored

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I know in Ireland my insurer (CHUBB) would send the car back to Porsche Centre of my choice for a OEM windshield and this would have no effect on my premiums and would not be recorded as a claim.

So if it happened to me, I'd expect OEM replacement fitted by Porsche at no cost to me.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I know in Ireland my insurer (CHUBB) would send the car back to Porsche Centre of my choice for a OEM windshield and this would have no effect on my premiums and would not be recorded as a claim.

So if it happened to me, I'd expect OEM replacement fitted by Porsche at no cost to me.
Thanks for the feedback...I can check with my insurance company (German, although my car is now in Spain with me). I hope they will be so understanding as yours :angel:

Matt8442

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo, Cayman GTS, Taycan 4S, Taycan Turbo S.
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback...I can check with my insurance company (German, although my car is now in Spain with me). I hope they will be so understanding as yours :angel:
Phoenix, not to sure what your insurance company policy says, but in the U.K. we have windscreen repair as an extra, which helped me when our Boxster had the windscreen crack from direct sunlight shining on it. We ended up paying an excess of £50 and a company called Autoglass came directly to our home and fitted the windscreen. When we had asked Porsche for a price including fitting we were looking at £750 so we’re happy to pay the £50 and get it done. Incidently whilst chatting to the guy fitting the windscreen he told me Autoglass were charging the insurance company £2000 to get the job done! so for the first time ever I could say that going to a Porsche dealer was the cheaper option if I had to pay the full amount. ?

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Phoenix, not to sure what your insurance company policy says, but in the U.K. we have windscreen repair as an extra, which helped me when our Boxster had the windscreen crack from direct sunlight shining on it. We ended up paying an excess of £50 and a company called Autoglass came directly to our home and fitted the windscreen. When we had asked Porsche for a price including fitting we were looking at £750 so we’re happy to pay the £50 and get it done. Incidently whilst chatting the guy fit in the windscreen he told me Autoglass we’re charging the insurance company £2000 to get the job done! so for the first time ever I could say that going to a Porsche dealer was the cheaper option if I had to pay the full amount. ?
Thanks for the advice! Your windshield cracked just because of the sunlight? I'd thought they they made them a bit better these days...
Anyway, I did a bit of research, and the type of crack, extending to the border of the windshield compromise the structural integrity. The typical Autoglass reparirs are not recommend for these fractures, but I will continue inquiring. :fingerscrossed:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Also, if you have the HUD option – be fussy – you'll definitely want the OEM windscreen.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Also, if you have the HUD option – be fussy – you'll definitely want the OEM windscreen.
I got one of the original MY2020. No HUD option for me. Frankly I don’t see the need of it :)

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
typically even if you go to the dealer (in the UK), they will order the part for you and an outside company usually comes in to carry out the fitting

Also the Taycan hasnt been out for long enough or made in large enough quantities, so i doubt there will be a non Porsche replacement windscreen even available

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here in the US (Texas), a standard windshield/windscreen replacement (meaning the non-Thermally Insulated Glass) costs:

Windshield replacement (parts, labor and sales tax) - $1,506.12
Alignment with camera calibrations - $754.95
Total cost of a standard (non-insulated) windshield here in TX - $2,261.07

I had forgotten/didn't realize that the cameras must be realigned.

Same thing on my 2020 Macan GTS.... I had planned to add the Rennline screen covers to protect the radiators, BUT if you remove the bumper cover, you will set off all kinds of warnings (that can only be reset by the PIWIS) to get the installed cameras (Surround View) re-aligned.

Don't ask me how I know!

Toby

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here in the US (Texas), a standard windshield/windscreen replacement (meaning the non-Thermally Insulated Glass) costs:

Windshield replacement (parts, labor and sales tax) - $1,506.12
Alignment with camera calibrations - $754.95
Total cost of a standard (non-insulated) windshield here in TX - $2,261.07

I had forgotten/didn't realize that the cameras must be realigned.

Same thing on my 2020 Macan GTS.... I had planned to add the Rennline screen covers to protect the radiators, BUT if you remove the bumper cover, you will set off all kinds of warnings (that can only be reset by the PIWIS) to get the installed cameras (Surround View) re-aligned.

Don't ask me how I know!

Toby
Thanks for sharing. It’s a really expensive realignment, but it seems the only way forward

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Last weekend, while driving my Turbo on the highway, all of a sudden something collided with my windshield (a big truck was on the opposite lane a second or so earlier). Although it seemed that everything was ok, after I arrived and on closer inspection, I could see an impact and a crack that extended to the bottom end of the windshield and curved up around 20 cm.

It seems like a full replacement is needed, but I’m worried that this will be, not only very expensive, but also perhaps not done to factory standard.

Any experience from anyone else will help me to decide what to do. It is the first time something like this happens to any of my cars.

Thanks in advance for your comments guys!

24041F8E-784D-4ED5-9D92-58AE79A5AA9A.jpeg
I wouldn't get my hopes too high though... Here in Canada, even though you do the job at the dealership, it's a sub-contractant that comes and does the windshield replacement, so....

And even though the insurance companies say it's usually not a claim, I can assure you that they keep track of your record and after 2-3 (some 5) windshield replacements they will raise your premium !

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wouldn't get my hopes too high though... Here in Canada, even though you do the job at the dealership, it's a sub-contractant that comes and does the windshield replacement, so....

And even though the insurance companies say it's usually not a claim, I can assure you that they keep track of your record and after 2-3 (some 5) windshield replacements they will raise your premium !
Well I was not really planning on having a regular event out of this...my main concern is to get a proper job done

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Well I was not really planning on having a regular event out of this...my main concern is to get a proper job done
I've had 5 in the last 5 years.... out of luck, and probably a combination of too aggressive driving and winter raod condition which tend to accumulate small rocks, oh well
There is definitely worst, I agree!

If the insurance pays the total cost of the replacement and doesn't raise your premium I would also try and get it done at the Porsche center, 100%.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've had 5 in the last 5 years.... out of luck, and probably a combination of too aggressive driving and winter raod condition which tend to accumulate small rocks, oh well
There is definitely worst, I agree!

If the insurance pays the total cost of the replacement and doesn't raise your premium I would also try and get it done at the Porsche center, 100%.
Wow! 5 times in 5 years... that’s some luck.
I’ll check with the insurance...expecting a lot of headaches being cross country

thanks!

psglas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Audi RS4, Defender 90
Country flag
A stone hit my screen less than a day after collection. 20mm star shaped crack. I investigated the dealer option but they just subcontract it (UK dealer). The insurance company arranged it with Autoglass in the end, £75 excess on the insurance. The screen had to come from Porsche so OEM replacement as there were no other suppliers at the time and I doubt there will be now. Initially the insurance company refused to pay as they thought I had insisted on OEM. Autoglass offered to replace it for £150 even if the insurance company didn't pay up so they aren't expensive screens. In the end the insurance company were fine and paid.

I spoke to the manager at Autoglass when I dropped it off. He said they're no different from any Volkwagon screen and it was a regular job. I've no complaints about mine.

Had to get the cameras re-calibrated by Porsche though as Autoglass didn't have the calibration software for the Taycan. Insurance company paid for this but not sure on the cost as they settled directly with the dealer. It was booked in for an hour.
Sponsored