Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A stone hit my screen less than a day after collection. 20mm star shaped crack. I investigated the dealer option but they just subcontract it (UK dealer). The insurance company arranged it with Autoglass in the end, £75 excess on the insurance. The screen had to come from Porsche so OEM replacement as there were no other suppliers at the time and I doubt there will be now. Initially the insurance company refused to pay as they thought I had insisted on OEM. Autoglass offered to replace it for £150 even if the insurance company didn't pay up so they aren't expensive screens. In the end the insurance company were fine and paid.

I spoke to the manager at Autoglass when I dropped it off. He said they're no different from any Volkwagon screen and it was a regular job. I've no complaints about mine.

Had to get the cameras re-calibrated by Porsche though as Autoglass didn't have the calibration software for the Taycan. Insurance company paid for this but not sure on the cost as they settled directly with the dealer. It was booked in for an hour.
Wow. So soon...I hope it did not spoil the experience. Star shaped cracks can be repaired easily, I learned. What you describe is the kind of hassle with insurance companies I’d like to avoid.
Sponsored

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Wow. So soon...I hope it did not spoil the experience. Star shaped cracks can be repaired easily, I learned. What you describe is the kind of hassle with insurance companies I’d like to avoid.
What city in Spain are you located at ? Do you have any Porsche dealers nearby ?

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What city in Spain are you located at ? Do you have any Porsche dealers nearby ?
The closest I have is Marbella. Is near enough.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When you get it replaced, also make sure that the rain sensor is working properly.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here in the US (Texas), a standard windshield/windscreen replacement (meaning the non-Thermally Insulated Glass) costs:

Windshield replacement (parts, labor and sales tax) - $1,506.12
Alignment with camera calibrations - $754.95
Total cost of a standard (non-insulated) windshield here in TX - $2,261.07

I had forgotten/didn't realize that the cameras must be realigned.

Same thing on my 2020 Macan GTS.... I had planned to add the Rennline screen covers to protect the radiators, BUT if you remove the bumper cover, you will set off all kinds of warnings (that can only be reset by the PIWIS) to get the installed cameras (Surround View) re-aligned.

Don't ask me how I know!

Toby
I had to go through this when our '17 Cayenne windshield had to be replaced. I call bullshit on cameras needing to be re-aligned. Reinstalled carefully - yes, but re-aligned? On a car with no actual camera - just a rain sensor and a detector for oncoming headlights that is so bad it detects a street sign as an oncoming headlight? Feel free to correct me if you have a valid reason for this other than padding the service invoice - I won't argue.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had to go through this when our '17 Cayenne windshield had to be replaced. I call bullshit on cameras needing to be re-aligned. Reinstalled carefully - yes, but re-aligned? On a car with no actual camera - just a rain sensor and a detector for oncoming headlights that is so bad it detects a street sign as an oncoming headlight? Feel free to correct me if you have a valid reason for this other than padding the service invoice - I won't argue.
NC_Taycan,

I'm simply supplying relevant information about the circumstance so fellow Taycan owners can benefit from the experience of others. I'm not opining on the necessity to have to realign cameras - each owner will need to make their own decisions as to whether it's proper or not to proceed.

I certainly get the issue around camera alignment though. Having owned many Porsches, old and new, over the years, I should NOT have been surprised about this. The level of complexity in today's cars far exceeds that of my 68/73 911S or my 79 930. Today's cars are doing more and more for us as drivers, and those capabilities come at a price of real dollars and added complexity. Is it frustrating? Yes! But, I feel it's a price worth paying every time I get behind the wheel of my Taycan.

Toby

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here in the US (Texas), a standard windshield/windscreen replacement (meaning the non-Thermally Insulated Glass) costs:

Windshield replacement (parts, labor and sales tax) - $1,506.12
Alignment with camera calibrations - $754.95
Total cost of a standard (non-insulated) windshield here in TX - $2,261.07

I had forgotten/didn't realize that the cameras must be realigned.

Same thing on my 2020 Macan GTS.... I had planned to add the Rennline screen covers to protect the radiators, BUT if you remove the bumper cover, you will set off all kinds of warnings (that can only be reset by the PIWIS) to get the installed cameras (Surround View) re-aligned.

Don't ask me how I know!

Toby
Interesting Tesla say the cameras need to be realigned as well but they actually don't they will recalibrate themselves on that car.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I contacted my local dealer and got an appointment next week. I had a short chat with the service rep and he confirmed that for these type of fractures they will do a full OEM replacement. Assuming that they do not have any stock problems, next week I'll take my Taycan to get it done.

I'll let you know how it goes!

jonwoodhead

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
One month after taking delivery, I had a stone bounce up my windscreen, causing two minor chips, then it hit the leading edge of the panoramic glass roof, causing a major crack. Seems like I was unlucky to get a bouncing bomb like that. After some to-and-fro with the insurance company, I opted for the replacement work to be done via the dealer, as Autoglass were clueless and the roof is a much more technical job than just the windscreen. It took two months for the roof and windscreen to come from Germany. Now it is done I am very satisfied, but the cost was significant as not covered by glass part of insurance.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One month after taking delivery, I had a stone bounce up my windscreen, causing two minor chips, then it hit the leading edge of the panoramic glass roof, causing a major crack. Seems like I was unlucky to get a bouncing bomb like that. After some to-and-fro with the insurance company, I opted for the replacement work to be done via the dealer, as Autoglass were clueless and the roof is a much more technical job than just the windscreen. It took two months for the roof and windscreen to come from Germany. Now it is done I am very satisfied, but the cost was significant as not covered by glass part of insurance.
Sorry to hear that...sounds painful. This is one of the reasons why I do not like panoramic glass roof.

My dealer already located a replacement windscreen in the country, so it should not take that long

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Guys, short update. The service rep. was great, and proactively got the windshield (apparently there was only 1 spare in Spain). I took the car yesterday, and I was informed that the job is already done, including alignment of cameras, checks of the seals, etc. I will be able to get it back tomorrow, or latest Monday. I'll report back once I get it, but so far I could not be more pleased with the process and the professional way is being handled

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Additional updates, I collected the car, and the everything was as when it came from factory. The workshop did a great job, and the car was just for a day and a half in the shop. The service rep kept me up to date, and I could not be happier.

Everything is fine, including all the assistance systems etc.

The cost of the windshield plus the repair was a bit under 1600€, just for reference.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Additional updates, I collected the car, and the everything was as when it came from factory. The workshop did a great job, and the car was just for a day and a half in the shop. The service rep kept me up to date, and I could not be happier.

Everything is fine, including all the assistance systems etc.

The cost of the windshield plus the repair was a bit under 1600€, just for reference.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Francisco,
Happy they fixed it for you so quickly.
I have a question, did you happen to see any anomaly in the glass as you see can in my images attached prior to your crack.
It is not a water spot or sun reflection I cannot scrape it off inside or outside of the windshield.
We will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

Porsche Taycan Windshield crack D9DC0C3E-5EB7-44A4-BA57-038E5E05C0A9

Porsche Taycan Windshield crack F77B0D2C-E6BB-46BC-BEE3-F18DD17C86A9

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 GTS, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Francisco,
Happy they fixed it for you so quickly.
I have a question, did you happen to see any anomaly in the glass as you see can in my images attached prior to your crack.
It is not a water spot or sun reflection I cannot scrape it off inside or outside of the windshield.
We will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

D9DC0C3E-5EB7-44A4-BA57-038E5E05C0A9.jpeg

F77B0D2C-E6BB-46BC-BEE3-F18DD17C86A9.jpeg
I never saw anything like this. It does not look like any crack I ever saw, more like a defect in the manufacturing.
I’m pretty sure that your service center will be able to fix it