RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT Gentian Blue /retired AR Quadrifolio
Country flag
Apologies if already covered but with all the doom merchants predicting a cold winter and reduced gritting of our roads, I’m looking to purchase a set of winter tyres for 4S CT. Not full replacement winter wheels but just a tyre swap on my current wheels – my current set up is for Pirelli Centurato P7 Blue 285/40 R20 108Y and 245/45 R20 103Y any recommendations please especially those Taycan owners with colder climes? The only ones I’ve located for this size are Continental Winter Contact TS850 P SUV (Winter Tyre) 285/40 R20 V (108) Winter Contact TS850 P SUV (Winter Tyre) 245/45 R20 V (103) any good?
Sponsored

T4SEM

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I have ordered the following

Pirelli P Zero Winter 245/45 R20 103V XL Elect, NF0

Pirelli P Zero Winter 285/40 R20 108V XL Elect, NF0

Which are designed for electric vehicles and have the Porsche NF0 rating if you wish to keep to Porsche recommended tyres.

I can't recommend them as such as I haven't fitted them or used the car over winter yet. But they are an alternative to what you have suggested.

Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 XL, NF0 in both sizes seem to be available now (but the rear size weren't when I ordered).

Prices seem to be going up though even in the last week

OP
OP
RichardPB

RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have ordered the following

Pirelli P Zero Winter 245/45 R20 103V XL Elect, NF0

Pirelli P Zero Winter 285/40 R20 108V XL Elect, NF0

Which are designed for electric vehicles and have the Porsche NF0 rating if you wish to keep to Porsche recommended tyres.

I can't recommend them as such as I haven't fitted them or used the car over winter yet. But they are an alternative to what you have suggested.

Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 XL, NF0 in both sizes seem to be available now (but the rear size weren't when I ordered).

Prices seem to be going up though even in the last week
Thanks the info brilliant I will order the Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 XL, NF0 I believe these ship with the Porsche Winter wheel set-ups

Last edited:

T4SEM

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
That’s right - I used my tyres they seem to have the biggest choice

Isaac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Macan GTS
Country flag
Apologies if already covered but with all the doom merchants predicting a cold winter and reduced gritting of our roads, I’m looking to purchase a set of winter tyres for 4S CT. Not full replacement winter wheels but just a tyre swap on my current wheels – my current set up is for Pirelli Centurato P7 Blue 285/40 R20 108Y and 245/45 R20 103Y any recommendations please especially those Taycan owners with colder climes? The only ones I’ve located for this size are Continental Winter Contact TS850 P SUV (Winter Tyre) 285/40 R20 V (108) Winter Contact TS850 P SUV (Winter Tyre) 245/45 R20 V (103) any good?
Hi we live at the top of a hill where the only way out is down a hill and have a house in the French mountains where winter tyres or chains are a legal requirement. so been using winter tyres for a while on all our cars. There are some good sites to look at. Eg mytyres.co.uk or giga-tyres.co.uk which generally review each in the tab details.

over the years have used Pirelli (911), Dunlop SP winter (current Macan), Michelin (Golf GTE),Continetal (panamara) and a few others i cant remember. Have not bought for the Taycan as i wont take it to France in winter and will leave in garage if it snows!

some lessons learnt
1 porsche have an N rating for approved tyres. In theory you void the warranty not using an N tyre and may not get extended warranty when the time comes. I think this N rating is largely nonsense unless possibly you really are driving the car at the limit. So i only bother with this for summer tyres. i just looked at the Taycan tyres and could nt see a clear N letter, but maybe i missed it. Also the car is heavy so you need to check the tyre can handle it. You will see on the websites above they indicate that the tyre is for a heavier car eg SUV
2 winter tyres when it snows are truly amazing . my 911 4S even though it was 4x4 was highly dangerous in the snow with summer tyres - one day my son had to pull me out of a relatively flat field with our tractor - 2 inches of snow but just stuck.
3 perversely some winter tyres can be slippery in wet conditions - someone told me its because of the higher level of silicone in winter tyres. A reason why you dont use them at the limit in winter.
4 leaving aside the N issue i look at the performance comparison. You will see that some are much quieter than others - upto 8 db. Thats quite a lot. My impression is that in snow they are all pretty similar performance wise.
5 i used to buy the rims and swap them myself. But storage is an issue as generally - unlike bmw and mercedes - porsche dont have a storage facility so you end up with them at home. And rims and tyre are v heavily and a mission to get to the tyre centre. taking just tyres is a lot easier
6 dont wait for it to snow to buy them! In this country they sell out when it snows
7 the available ranges are more limited for winter tyres - esp more exotic cars
8 biggest issue when you have winter tyres is others sliding into you! Or in one case pirouetting right in front of me!
9 i also look for rim protection flanges i think called MFS to protect the rims. On the Taycan though it might affect range a little as tyres on it seem to have pretty flat walls - I assume for this reason, but they dont protect the rims!
10 on the Macan the Dunlop sp winter tyres are rock solid in snow and pretty good in wet conditions
11 winter tyres handle up 6 inches of snow. After that the snow tends to build up under the car. In really deep snow you might still need chains - but pretty rare i would say even in the French mountains - where they plough pretty quickly to keep the depth down
11 chances are in this country that you wont see much snow - but if you do you wont regret it !
12 they wear rapidly in higher temperatures

hope this is helpful.

OP
OP
RichardPB

RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi we live at the top of a hill where the only way out is down a hill and have a house in the French mountains where winter tyres or chains are a legal requirement. so been using winter tyres for a while on all our cars. There are some good sites to look at. Eg mytyres.co.uk or giga-tyres.co.uk which generally review each in the tab details.

over the years have used Pirelli (911), Dunlop SP winter (current Macan), Michelin (Golf GTE),Continetal (panamara) and a few others i cant remember. Have not bought for the Taycan as i wont take it to France in winter and will leave in garage if it snows!

some lessons learnt
1 porsche have an N rating for approved tyres. In theory you void the warranty not using an N tyre and may not get extended warranty when the time comes. I think this N rating is largely nonsense unless possibly you really are driving the car at the limit. So i only bother with this for summer tyres. i just looked at the Taycan tyres and could nt see a clear N letter, but maybe i missed it. Also the car is heavy so you need to check the tyre can handle it. You will see on the websites above they indicate that the tyre is for a heavier car eg SUV
2 winter tyres when it snows are truly amazing . my 911 4S even though it was 4x4 was highly dangerous in the snow with summer tyres - one day my son had to pull me out of a relatively flat field with our tractor - 2 inches of snow but just stuck.
3 perversely some winter tyres can be slippery in wet conditions - someone told me its because of the higher level of silicone in winter tyres. A reason why you dont use them at the limit in winter.
4 leaving aside the N issue i look at the performance comparison. You will see that some are much quieter than others - upto 8 db. Thats quite a lot. My impression is that in snow they are all pretty similar performance wise.
5 i used to buy the rims and swap them myself. But storage is an issue as generally - unlike bmw and mercedes - porsche dont have a storage facility so you end up with them at home. And rims and tyre are v heavily and a mission to get to the tyre centre. taking just tyres is a lot easier
6 dont wait for it to snow to buy them! In this country they sell out when it snows
7 the available ranges are more limited for winter tyres - esp more exotic cars
8 biggest issue when you have winter tyres is others sliding into you! Or in one case pirouetting right in front of me!
9 i also look for rim protection flanges i think called MFS to protect the rims. On the Taycan though it might affect range a little as tyres on it seem to have pretty flat walls - I assume for this reason, but they dont protect the rims!
10 on the Macan the Dunlop sp winter tyres are rock solid in snow and pretty good in wet conditions
11 winter tyres handle up 6 inches of snow. After that the snow tends to build up under the car. In really deep snow you might still need chains - but pretty rare i would say even in the French mountains - where they plough pretty quickly to keep the depth down
11 chances are in this country that you wont see much snow - but if you do you wont regret it !
12 they wear rapidly in higher temperatures

hope this is helpful.
Thanks for the detailed info you provided, I could not use my Alfa safely on its first winter outing subsequent winters fitted Michelin Aplins they transformed the car into a near snowmobile. So, I’ve ordered whilst stocks available Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 XL, NF0 I believe they ship with the Porsche Winter wheel set-ups

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
Just resurrecting this thread. I have had winter tyres on most of my RWD cars in the UK, absolute game changer, especially (as the post above mentions) on the Alfa Giulia.

Have any UK owners purchased winters for the Taycan? Are the current prices online inflated or are they normal? (£370 ish) for 285/40/20.

If I indeed do purchase a RWD, I think I’d have to go down this route.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Just resurrecting this thread. I have had winter tyres on most of my RWD cars in the UK, absolute game changer, especially (as the post above mentions) on the Alfa Giulia.

Have any UK owners purchased winters for the Taycan? Are the current prices online inflated or are they normal? (£370 ish) for 285/40/20.

If I indeed do purchase a RWD, I think I’d have to go down this route.
I don't think it is just for RWD there is a huge gain in steering and braking on 4WD too :)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Looks like full winter tyres is maybe a step further than we need to go in the UK but still looks like summer tyres are poor in low temperature when it is wet - ie almost the whole winter round here...

OP
OP
RichardPB

RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Winter shoes on today

Porsche Taycan WINTER TYRES (UK) IMG_4096.JPEG
Porsche Taycan WINTER TYRES (UK) IMG_4094.JPEG
Porsche Taycan WINTER TYRES (UK) IMG_4093.JPEG

Porsche Taycan WINTER TYRES (UK) 445D12DB-AAC6-4572-9BB9-540DFD5CEBCF

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Those rotors make me happy about the PCCB and PSCB options – purely from a cosmetic non-rust perspective.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Those rotors make me happy about the PCCB and PSCB options – purely from a cosmetic non-rust perspective.
Kept my iPace ones relatively unrusted (though harder to do on the rears) though that doesn’t have as high a regen (think 150 max vs 270 but still hard to get near using the discs…). Charge to 100% and a couple of hard braking zones to roundabouts does it for me. Now upsold myself to a Turbo then won’t be an issue as you stated.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
If it got cold enough for winter tyres in Devon, I simply wouldn’t bother going out and sit by the stove instead…..
Sponsored