Wireless CarPlay - Battery Drain

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
I have a modified unit in my 2020 TS for CarPlay usage and find it drains the iPhone battery even if being wirelessly charged
is this common even with 2021 models OEM CarPlay functionality?
Curious when the long awaited update comes for 2020 wireless CarPlay if the battery drain will be less than using a 3rd party unit
Sponsored

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
While using wireless CarPlay & Waze it seemed to be using about as much power as it was getting. So phone didn't charge to 100% but it wasn't going down either.

OP
OP
TheFutre

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
thanks......this is on a 2021 with wireless CP baked in and while using the wireless charger in the center console?

While using wireless CarPlay & Waze it seemed to be using about as much power as it was getting. So phone didn't charge to 100% but it wasn't going down either.

OP
OP
TheFutre

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
good to know, thanks
may I also ask.......I use Apple Music a lot and prefer to use the baked in version vs streaming from CarPlay........do you know of a trick to turn off music option within CarPlay since it always likes to default to that it seems

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
good to know, thanks
may I also ask.......I use Apple Music a lot and prefer to use the baked in version vs streaming from CarPlay........do you know of a trick to turn off music option within CarPlay since it always likes to default to that it seems
I don’t know. It’s good for me because I use Spotify. Although that does hiccup occasionally through wireless it’s very very minor.
PS you didn’t ask but I’m impressed by the fact that wireless CarPlay has never failed to automatically connect for me

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I don’t know. It’s good for me because I use Spotify. Although that does hiccup occasionally through wireless it’s very very minor.
PS you didn’t ask but I’m impressed by the fact that wireless CarPlay has never failed to automatically connect for me
You’ve never had carplay black screen?

I get it on average once in every 10 connects. Carplay is on but just a totally blank screen. Sometimes you tap on the screen and it springs to life sometimes not.
To fix I either restart the phone & it asks me to pair again or sometimes I can turn carplay off in the PCM wait a while then turn it back on.
Not a massive problem as it can be worked around, just frustrating.
Hoping the new software update squishes this particular bug.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I get it on average once in every 10 connects. Carplay is on but just a totally blank screen. Sometimes you tap on the screen and it springs to life sometimes not.
To fix I either restart the phone & it asks me to pair again or sometimes I can turn carplay off in the PCM wait a while then turn it back on.
Once my Waze froze - screen was not blank but the map stopped updating. I thought it was because my phone was overheating but maybe you're right, maybe it was a carplay thing. But I've never had a problem on initial connect.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
My experience with other vehicles is that Waze + Wireless Carplay drains the battery in excess of the rate at which non-wired charging can keep up.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I upgraded my phone from X to 12 and now I have Carplay issues. Great. Love how Apple gets people to blame others when it's their problem - AT&T, Porsche, Qi (lots of people including me having wireless charging issues with the 12).
Sponsored