Model year 2020 wireless carplay

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@redrocket
Great update.......which unit did you buy?

Never mind, I got it working and even updated the sw through the web link. What I found is you MUST use a USB A to USB C cable, and a USB A to USB C adapter. Weird. C to C doesn’t work. That was mentioned in a thread on this forum but I thought to myself, ‘yeah, sure’. But it is correct. Won’t work at all with a C to C cable. Anyway, going to order a much shorter cable from Amazon.

***Edit...turns out I have a USB A to C adapter, so I used that with the supplied Carlinkit cable. So far it’s working great, but I need to get some mileage on the system before I say it’s a hit.

Speaking of mileage, this is the coolest car I have ever driven. Practical too. And not a day goes by when some stranger walks up to me and we end up in a 20-30 minute discussion on the car. Not to mention the multiple ‘thumbs ups’ I get daily. I’d buy another one in a heartbeat.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
And not a day goes by when some stranger walks up to me and we end up in a 20-30 minute discussion on the car. Not to mention the multiple ‘thumbs ups’ I get daily. I’d buy another one in a heartbeat.
This.

I was driving today and a 911 was passing me. The person in the passenger seat was a kid - maybe early teenager. He smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up. I thought, wow, they train them young to appreciate nice Porsches

(No, I wasn't racing the 911 - I was just puttering along going to Safeway and that road is across from a police station, so I just do 40)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
web site says yes - but feedback from someone who actually has one would be nice.

OP
OP

rma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cayenne e hybrid, urus, huracan evo
Country flag
Normally yes (on the urus it’s worked well) but can’t for the life of me get it to work on the taycan. You can ofcourse press the bottom right corner of the screen when apple CarPlay is on for siri. The rest of the steering buttons work well

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Thanks
So then the voice button remains active for PCM even while using CarPlay?

Normally yes (on the urus it’s worked well) but can’t for the life of me get it to work on the taycan. You can ofcourse press the bottom right corner of the screen when apple CarPlay is on for siri. The rest of the steering buttons work well

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Yes the voice control button on steering wheel works with adapter. Short press for PCM voice command, press and hold long for Siri.

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
So my initial reaction to the CarPlay in a box is once it gets running it works well. But after a cold start of the vehicle, as in being in the garage overnight, it is taking 2-3 minutes or perhaps a little longer before CarPlay starts working. Is this a unique issue and perhaps a setting change will speed it up? Or is that just the way it works? Prior to hooking up the CarPlay dongle, on a cold start, I’d have music playing pretty quickly, but now I have the delay.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
So my initial reaction to the CarPlay in a box is once it gets running it works well. But after a cold start of the vehicle, as in being in the garage overnight, it is taking 2-3 minutes or perhaps a little longer before CarPlay starts working. Is this a unique issue and perhaps a setting change will speed it up? Or is that just the way it works? Prior to hooking up the CarPlay dongle, on a cold start, I’d have music playing pretty quickly, but now I have the delay.
I have found the start time is very inconsistent, with occasional need to unplug/replug to get it to work (but rarely). So the delay is a “feature” that may get resolved with firmware updates. I have seen it start up almost instantly so I have no idea why the variability.

JackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
How did you update the firmware when you can't get it to work with the car?
I didn't have an USB stick handy, so I plugged the dongle into an USB charger, connected to its wi-fi network (VOLKSWAGEN**) with password 12345678 and opened 192.168.50.2 in Safari on my iPhone. It took a few tries but ultimately a page loaded and I was able to update to version 2020.11.10.2137. After that the dongle works in the car.

Thank you all, now I can have wireless CarPlay, at long last!
Sponsored