Porsche Taycan Configurator Online. Share Your Build!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Thanks felixtb,
I have no ambition to install a DC charger at home, but I am also not going to pay €1100 for a charger that you describe. That seems way OTT. Seems it is included in the configurator though and not possible to delete as an option. Menekes Type 2 connector charger I already have and don not need another one.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
This mobile charger rip-off makes me really pissed off with Porsche. I am forced to option a bloody expensive piece of equipment that I will never use, just because they won't supply something that is part of the standard equipment list. I am 100% sure that this is a planned rip-off. When they're able to come up with 20 000 batteries and millions of other components I cant see why there should be problems with a simple charging cable.

Speaking of cables, the type 2 cable I need in order to plug into my home charger is not supplied with the car, well done Porsche:clap:

As back up in case all other options fail I'll bring my Charge Amps cable on my longer trips. It is very light and easy to stow away compared to Porsche's massive thing. EV charging over a home plug is no longer allowed in Norway for other then emergency use, so it's just collecting dust nowadays.
Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan Configurator Online. Share Your Build! 5_ray1

Last edited:

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think it depends on what plug you use, right?
It comes with three different plugs: Schuco, blue or red industrial.
Other countries may use different plugs.
Is that correct?
Yes I have the RED industrial plug.. 3 Phase.. but the car only use 2 phases...

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I’m planning on putting this into my garage so I don’t have to think of which brand it is or if I have fast charging option on my car or not..... This is one of the new home use DC chargers on the market......

Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan Configurator Online. Share Your Build! 84BACC26-E3E1-4583-870E-1E4E57EE762C

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
In Europe there we have 3phase + zero,(3x230/400v)the red CEE is 16A or 32A. You can chose freely from the Porsche configuration. The car can only charge with 11kw to begin with, so I will chose the 16A cable/socket.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In Europe there we have 3phase + zero,(3x230/400v)the red CEE is 16A or 32A. You can chose freely from the Porsche configuration. The car can only charge with 11kw to begin with, so I will chose the 16A cable/socket.
The "problem" with AC charging is that you are reliant on the capacity of the onboard charger to a greater extent than you are with a DC charger since most vehicles can accept up to at least about 80KW DC as standard mode. So if your home charger is DC then you are set for a constant 22KW charging rather than being governed by availability of certain options in your market area for said EV model....... Also unless you tinker with your brand AC outlet such as the Tesla wall box or most probably the Porsche/VAG wall box you are stuck with ONLY charging on that specific brand of EV..... So yes this is also in Europe or for that matter in the US or Japan because they supply the unit with the specific plugg you need...

Its a Swiss company located in Winthertur..

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Felix, the Tesla wall connector can actually be set to charge any EV with the Menekes Type 2 connector. There are many Hotels etc that also have that Wall Connector and it charges Audi, Etc.
It is just to switch a small micro switch so that it is not tied to Tesla. They do not mention that to openly in their manual though. But it is a very easy and quick job to do. And you can then set the charge rate by adjusting the input amp. You can set it low or at 16, 25 or 32 amp with 3 phase. That will give 11, 19.2 or 22 kW.
So if I have understood all the info correct now, the Taycan has a standard Menekes type 2 connector and I can use my existing Tesla Wall connector, which also has a standard Menekes Type 2 connector! Brilliant!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
So if I understand correctly, a Taycan can't charge with 3,6kW (single phase 240V/16A)?

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
And that is the price for at 22kw dc Charger?
Sound expensive!

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So if I understand correctly, a Taycan can't charge with 3,6kW (single phase 240V/16A)?
I'm sure it can.... Since its bellow the 11KW standard onboard charger maximum rating so it will always modulate down till it reaches your max possible charge rate from the wall its higher that's a problem at least on other EVs

And yes I know that you can "tinker" with the Tesla wall box but that's a little bit my point. Actually Tesla does not guarantee the box nor the vehicle being charged unless it is used with a Tesla.... Even at the hotels...... So that is tinkering to me...…

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Thx so much Felix, I was a little bit worried there! :like:

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of course it must be able to. That is the normal type granny charger when you are travelling. Fits in with a normal single phase plug.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Of course it must be able to. That is the normal type granny charger when you are travelling. Fits in with a normal single phase plug.
I thought so too but someone said it could only charge with 11kW...
I only top off my car at home if necessary (80-90% to 100%).
Most charging is at work or along the way.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just found these two images online...the 150kW DC option is mentioned which leads me to believe there is won't be a 19.2kW internal option at all for the first generation Taycan:

liy16f7duqertysrcfk9.png

pyipkh24gvwwrcqi1vgt.png

For reference I also attached the brochure page I referenced before showing 19.2kW and 350kW (in writing from Porsche) which it seems Porsche backpedaled on both.

After thinking about this more, knowing Porsche's strategy of incremental upgrades they are "saving" it for the next gen as a "feature." In that same thought pattern I suspect the styling will inch more towards the Mission E as the Taycan generations progress.
Can't give away everything from the start right?
There was an excellent summary of the charging options published on this forum earlier. I have tried to dig it out and insert as a quote. Not sure it will work but check via the search option!

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No retro fit (free or paid) and no 22kW anytime soon in the US. This comes directly from Porsche forwarded to me from my dealership in response to my question:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM
Subject: RE: Taycan updates?
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXX-

As of now there will not be a retrofit solution for 11kW OBC to the 22 kW OBC. If your customer wants the 22kW OBC, I would wait until we announce it in the future. I love to tell you exactly when, but I can’t give you an exact date as of now.

Best regards/ Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Mike DePetro
Sponsored