DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I took a trip this week out to Nashville to see Blondie at the Grand Ole Opry with a friend.

I had 5 charge stops to get there. While I had some trouble on the 3rd charge (note the extra overhead time) it mostly went smoothly. The real pain on this trip were multiple lengthy traffic jams (indicated by red pins.)

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 8.00.33 PM

Stop 1 - Jefferson Park, Mount Pleasant TX - No issues

Had a good fast charge at full speed on a 350kW pump.

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville IMG_0403.PNG

Stop 2 - Walmart, Hope, AR

Another great stop. No issues, I didn't max out the charge due to incoming SoC but it was all fine.

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville IMG_0402.PNG

Stop 3 - Walmart - Little Rock, AR

This is where EA started to fail me. One of the 350kW pumps was blocked by a Bolt (facepalm) and the other was delivering only 6kW! I ended up taking a 150kW that was underperforming at just over 100kW.

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville IMG_0401.PNG

Stop 4 - Walmart, Forrest City AR

Also a good stop with a nice fast charge. No issues.

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville IMG_0400.PNG

Stop 5 - Sam's Club, Jackson TN

This was my final stop before the Opryland hotel. Another top speed great experience!

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville IMG_0399.PNG

Once I landed at the Opryland hotel, there were multiple free destination chargers on site.
I selected the one furthest away from others, as I deemed it Porsche-safe. :)

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville IMG_0416

Concert time!

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville IMG_0410

Return Trip

I returned on the same chargers that I used coming out, and was surprised to find many of them performing markedly different.

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 8.32.59 PM

Stop 1 - Jackson, TN

I used the same 350kW pump I used coming in, and while it started off delivering peak performance it petered out and died with an error halfway through. Attempts to restart were 6kW and useless, so I had to move to another pump.

Stop 2 - Forrest City, AR

This one went fine.

Stop 3 - Little Rock, AR

This time I was able to grab the 350kW pump the Bolt had previously, and unfortunately it was capped at 75kW making for a frustrating but serviceable charge. I was able to pass the time chatting with curious locals.

Stop 4 - Hope, AR

Probably the best charge of the trip, sparked right up at max speed, no issues.

Stop 5 - Mt Pleasant, TX

I went for the 350kW pump that did me right on the outbound trip, but it refused to start. I had to call EA and get them to restart the charger (first time I've ever had to do this.) That accounts for the very high overhead at this stop.

Epilogue

All in all the return went quicker than the way out, due to less traffic.

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Report: Dallas <--> Nashville Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.53.22 PM

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
That is all great charging information and stuff, but how was Blondie? Debbie Harry is still out there at 77 years old. Just amazing! So much great music from that band.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
That is all great charging information and stuff, but how was Blondie? Debbie Harry is still out there at 77 years old. Just amazing! So much great music from that band.
Still one of my favorite bands. I'd never seen her perform before and I'm glad I did. I wish I'd done so a lot earlier.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
If I’m reading correctly, it took you over 14 hours to get to Nashville from Dallas?
I’m planning to stretch further from Dallas to Louisville over one day which I’ve modeled out to around 14 hours. What do you think the reality is?

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
What app is generating those charging reports? Looks like it's using your own pictures composited into the report? Pretty cool.

Also, NSCODER. NS = NextStep?

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the trip report with charging results.

I'm interested in your charging stop strategy.

Once you were out of the Dallas area, were the 5 EA sites you stopped at the only 5 along your route, or were there were additional ones that you skipped?

If you had been unable to charge at all at one of the EA sites - example no stations working - what was your backup plan? Enough range to make it to next EA site, use level 2, or ?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If I’m reading correctly, it took you over 14 hours to get to Nashville from Dallas?
I’m planning to stretch further from Dallas to Louisville over one day which I’ve modeled out to around 14 hours. What do you think the reality is?
Correct, it took over 14 hrs. I am 100% confident in that time being accurate; it was timed by my app from the moment I left (4:30 AM) to the time I arrived (around 6:30 PM.)

Part of the problem was several long traffic jams (traffic fully stopped for lengthy periods.) I also had a couple stops to get coffee and a quick rest stop.

I think I was planning on the drive being around 12 hrs using ABRP, which didn’t account for anything but drive/charge time.

So yeah I don’t think 14 hours to Louisville is realistic.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct, it took over 14 hrs. I am 100% confident in that time being accurate; it was timed by my app from the moment I left (4:30 AM) to the time I arrived (around 6:30 PM.)

Part of the problem was several long traffic jams (traffic fully stopped for lengthy periods.) I also had a couple stops to get coffee and a quick rest stop.

I think I was planning on the drive being around 12 hrs using ABRP, which didn’t account for anything but drive/charge time.

So yeah I don’t think 14 hours to Louisville is realistic.
Thank you for the details. Using your experience as a proxy it looks like Louisville is an extra 160 miles which is at least two extra hours. Now I wish I optioned the massage seats….

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Still one of my favorite bands. I'd never seen her perform before and I'm glad I did. I wish I'd done so a lot earlier.
how's she doing?
I used to see her in the beginning, 40+ years ago, when she was doing CBGBs.
it amazes me how all these old "rockers" are still doing shows.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Thank you for the details. Using your experience as a proxy it looks like Louisville is an extra 160 miles which is at least two extra hours. Now I wish I optioned the massage seats….
I wrote an article about my trip from Louisville to Austin right after picking up my Taycan f you want to read it. This was a relaxed trip over a few days but it might be an interesting read anyway… https://medium.com/@the.ev.newbie/swimming-pools-and-electric-vehicles-74a2d27dad69

PetroK

First Name
Petro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX, Porsche Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Great report. Which app you used to generate stats ? And also why first charge took 27 minutes at full speed? Did you charge to 100% ?

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
how's she doing?
I used to see her in the beginning, 40+ years ago, when she was doing CBGBs.
it amazes me how all these old "rockers" are still doing shows.
Seeing Blondie at CBGBs in NYC in the early 80s, that is very cool! Lucky you.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
What app is generating those charging reports? Looks like it's using your own pictures composited into the report? Pretty cool.
Thanks! It's an app I am building called Chargey.

It tracks your charges at home and at DC chargers, and has a separate mode for tracking road trips. I probably have another few weeks left in development; I'm building some dashboard-type screens to show cost this month/year/all, etc.

I can make a separate thread about it but I want to be mindful/respectful of spam on the forum too. Will read the rules and see.

Also, NSCODER. NS = NextStep?
You got it!! I'm an iOS developer and when I started, all the classes were NS-this and NS-that due to the NextStep heritage.

I've met very few people who get it. I usually just tell them the NS means non-stop if they are normals. :)
Sponsored