Schadenfreude

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
His behavior has been even more erratic than usual lately, almost as if he’s having a breakdown of some sort. Which would not be surprising given how much he’s got on his plate right now.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Off topic, but I thought this guy was supposed to be smart.

buying a (almost) bankrupt company for 44 billion does not sound "genius" but this guy ,so far, seems pretty good at making lead into gold..it will be a fun ride (unless you work at Twitter)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
The very least he is going to do is dilute his time at his other businesses. Can't imagine they are thrilled?

Why on earth has he done it....

Even if it all works out hunky dorey, so what? It's not like he needs the money or success.
But if it all goes t1ts up, it takes his halo away across all business's.

And not exactly a great time to be doing it (Meta/FTX etc).

Seems a bad call to me. Not much upside, but plenty of downside.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Until I know for sure he is off his med's, I am with him. He founded Tesla, SpaceX. Boring Co. & X.com, the last two eventually became part of Paypal. He marches to the beat of a different drummer for sure, but he is a genius that should create, but not manage a creation.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
On SNL Weekend Update there was a joke that Musk's $44 billion bid for Twitter was $44 billion higher than the next closest bid. Advertisers are leaving fast, which is understandable. It is kind of sad considering what Twitter used to be and absolutely horrible for the half of the company that lost their jobs last week. Musk has done very well and should be commended for being in the right place at the right time with Tesla and SpaceX. However, Boring Co is a failure and the odds are that Twitter will be too.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I think it's pretty clear at this point that he is not motivated by financial gain or even material wealth. He does what he wants and so much the better if he earns money along the way. That can be good for investors or bad . . . but I don't think Musk cares in the least (apart from wanting like hell to burn shorts . . . buts that's different than being motivated to maximize shareholder wealth).

My first Model X was awesome. The second Model X was meh, and I was deeply disappointed that it was going in the wrong direction. Part of why I moved on . . .

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Until I know for sure he is off his med's, I am with him. He founded Tesla, SpaceX. Boring Co. & X.com, the last two eventually became part of Paypal. He marches to the beat of a different drummer for sure, but he is a genius that should create, but not manage a creation.
Musk didn't found Tesla though, and was also removed as CEO of X.com before they became Paypal. He has been a part of influential companies, but I would not consider him a genius.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
He earned the right to be called a founder of a Tesla in a settlement to a lawsuit with one of the actual founders. Other people founded the company and had the vision, he became an early investor and board member, then later the CEO.

He also was a co-founder, not founder of X.com along with 4 other people.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Musk didn't found Tesla though, and was also removed as CEO of X.com before they became Paypal. He has been a part of influential companies, but I would not consider him a genius.
This. And both Boring and Solar were failures. SpaceX isn’t making money yet, and both it and Tesla have both avoided bankruptcy by the skin of their teeth. He’s a visionary guy and a risk taker for sure. Genius?

Lately he’s just been acting like a spoiled entitled child. Most people would be embarrassed of themselves.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This. And both Boring and Solar were failures.
Solar was not a failure by the metric of "did Musk and his cousin make a lot of money?". LOL
Boring is still raking in government money so people at the top of that company are doing just fine.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So you consider self dealing to save a relative’s insolvent company ‘success’?

As regards Boring, prototype grant revenue that doesn’t even cover development cost and zero actual deployed systems = ‘success’? As long as execs are getting salaries?

Strange finance theories you’ve got there.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Wow, a nerve was struck! Hopefully, we will all get over it. If I recall, many a co-founder/founder were mired in litigation to determine who founded/controlled a venture.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Many have been humbled after learning the hard way that there's no such thing as "too smart to fail."
Sponsored