LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan 4S (July '20), ‘66 Porsche 912, ‘11 987 Spyder
Country flag
I have a 5000 lb brick in my garage. I went down this morning and it said there was a charging error. Now the battery is completely dead. Tried to get it towed but they can’t get under the car enough to move it. Dealing with the dealership but they don’t know what to do either. I’ve seen somewhat similar reports of dead batteries on this forum.

Porsche Taycan Error during charging 2443E65F-431F-4A98-8602-D847B2C40C93
Porsche Taycan Error during charging E6B50635-E6D6-4D09-B196-B5B51B874FED

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Sounds like the classic dead 12V battery issue. Do a search and you'll find instructions on how to "jump" the battery.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 5000 lb brick in my garage. I went down this morning and it said there was a charging error. Now the battery is completely dead. Tried to get it towed but they can’t get under the car enough to move it. Dealing with the dealership but they don’t know what to do either. I’ve seen somewhat similar reports of dead batteries on this forum.
Very sorry to hear that. Have you considered pointing your dealership to the extensive thread on this topic? https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/don-breaks-his-taycan-the-saga-of-the-12v-battery.1274/

OP
OP
LivingWithPorsches

LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks guys. I have several battery tender trickle chargers and a jump starter. I am afraid to using anything bc I don’t know if these are all just lithium chargers or do I need a special type of charger?
Also the manual has all these warnings saying ‘risk of damage when supplying external power to an exhaustively discharged 12 V lithium battery’

Do I just hook a trickle charger up to this?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks guys. I have several battery tender trickle chargers and a jump starter. I am afraid to using anything bc I don’t know if these are all just lithium chargers or do I need a special type of charger?
Also the manual has all these warnings saying ‘risk of damage when supplying external power to an exhaustively discharged 12 V lithium battery’

Do I just hook a trickle charger up to this?
Well, what @louv and others report in that thread is that the 12 V battery is not exhaustively discharged, but safety circuitry internal to the battery has disconnected it from the car so it can no longer be charged by the car. Therefore you need to pop the hood by the method described in that thread, then use a lithium iron phosphate compatible charger to bring the 12 V battery back to normal charge level and reset its internal circuitry. It's surprising your dealership is not aware of this fairly common issue and the fix. There's probably a service bulletin or two on this but I haven't searched.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You do NOT need to worry about charging the 12V battery properly. Your objective, when recovering a dead car, is to supply at least 12V with enough current for long enough (seconds) to wake up the main ECU and battery control / DC-DC converter electronics. Once that happens (it's plenty obvious), you remove your external 12V supply and let the car handle recharging the 12V Li-Ion battery. Any basic 12V emergency jump start / recovery battery with clips will work, as will any other vehicle with a 12V battery plus a set of jumper cables.

OP
OP
LivingWithPorsches

LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok. I was able to get the hood open and jump the car “awake” again. I plugged my home wall charger back into the port. Right now it just says connection established but nothing else. I guess I just wait a few hours and see?

OP
OP
LivingWithPorsches

LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok. Well was able to get the car to run, but now I’m getting the ‘red’ light on the charging port. I should be able to get it to the dealership at least. Stay tuned as I learn more.

Last edited:

OP
OP
LivingWithPorsches

LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Finally an update. The car is fixed. To make a long story short the left side charging port actuator was faulty. The effect was the red light and the car wasn’t charging.

My hypothesis is that the profile I had setup to pre-warm the car caused the error in the original image I posted. The battery was draining but the wall charge wasn’t charging.

I discovered through some trial and error that the passenger side charge port was fine but I seldom use that side. Net net the charge port was the real culprit of the issues. Things seem to be back to normal now that the dealer has replaced the port charger assembly. The red light in the image was the tell. Happy to be back in it!

taycan4sl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have an appointment for Monday for a similar charging error on the left side only. I don't have a pre-warm profile so haven't experienced it going completely dead and the right port still works which I have been using in the interim.

How long did the dealer take to diagnosis and replace your port charger?

Finally an update. The car is fixed. To make a long story short the left side charging port actuator was faulty. The effect was the red light and the car wasn’t charging.

My hypothesis is that the profile I had setup to pre-warm the car caused the error in the original image I posted. The battery was draining but the wall charge wasn’t charging.

I discovered through some trial and error that the passenger side charge port was fine but I seldom use that side. Net net the charge port was the real culprit of the issues. Things seem to be back to normal now that the dealer has replaced the port charger assembly. The red light in the image was the tell. Happy to be back in it!

OP
OP
LivingWithPorsches

LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They had it for about a week. Mostly waiting on the parts to arrive. I did notice when they reinstalled the charging door it wasn’t as flush as before. I’ll have them fix it next time I take it in.
Sponsored