Leasing & resale value

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm a huge fan of Porsche and BEV. It's my first post here and I'm French (so, sorry for some mistakes!)

I put a deposit one year ago and it's time to take action :)

However, if you look at the competition, you can see that the second-hand Tesla market is complicated.
A Porsche 911 can easily be sold at 85% of the purchase price after 3 years. But on a Tesla, this rate drops to 50% (sometimes it's better if you sell it to a private individual).

The main reason comes from the batteries of course (as you know, batteries are consumables and reduce the life of the vehicle)

What do you think about a Porsche Taycan?
What do you think will be the resale value of a Porsche Taycan Turbo after 3 years?

And you, will you buy or rent it (long-term lease or lease with option to buy)?
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The technology will change a lot in 3 years, so supply of newer better models will likely force prices down. I don’t think battery wear is really a major factor. Well maintained Tesla’s don’t have a significant degradation even after many years. I think their resale price is more a supply & demand issue. Even new Model S have seen large price cuts.

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm a huge fan of Porsche and BEV. It's my first post here and I'm French (so, sorry for some mistakes!)

However, if you look at the competition, you can see that the second-hand Tesla market is complicated.
A Porsche 911 can easily be sold at 85% of the purchase price after 3 years. But on a Tesla, this rate drops to 50% (sometimes it's better if you sell it to a private individual).

The main reason comes from the batteries of course (as you know, batteries are consumables and reduce the life of the vehicle)

What do you think will be the resale value of a Porsche Taycan Turbo after 3 years?

Great q....one of the most important.

All EV’s aren’t just cars any more. They are units of technology. In 3 years technology jumps ahead HUGELY! No way a taycan will retain 85% after 3 yrs like a 911. It’s a new world in autos, a threshold to the next normal.

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In 3 years technology jumps ahead HUGELY!
Indeed ! That is why loaner doesn't really want to take a risk on a Taycan... unfortunately.

In your opinion, at what level can we consider it to be a good resale value after 3 years for a Taycan Turbo (~40000km) ?

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
There is already a developed motor that can act like the 2 speed transmission in the Taycan - minus the transmission.
Iron ion batteries are already a real world replacement for lithium ion, which is a fraction of the cost for the same performance.

This is just news from this month alone.

There is a huge incentive and loads of money invested into EV motors and battery technology as a whole.
We can see a real world dramatic shift from just the model s fo the model 3, which users far superior technologies.

The point is: EV is in its infancy and is moving at a rapid rate not seen in the car history in any of our lifetimes.

If you want the Taycan, get the Taycan.

If you are worried about resale value, either get a car you love and want to hold onto or get a lease.

I think I can safely say it may be unwise to hold onto any EV car as an investment for now.

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is already a developed motor that can act like the 2 speed transmission in the Taycan - minus the transmission.
Iron ion batteries are already a real world replacement for lithium ion, which is a fraction of the cost for the same performance.

There is a huge incentive and loads of money invested into EV motors and battery technology as a whole.
We can see a real world dramatic shift from just the model s fo the model 3, which users far superior technologies.

The point is: EV is in its infancy and is moving at a rapid rate not seen in the car history in any of our lifetimes.

If you are worried about resale value, either get a car you love and want to hold onto or get a lease.

I think I can safely say it may be unwise to hold onto any EV car as an investment for now.
Absolutely correct! If a person is willing and able to accept the prospective massive depreciation, get the turbo S! There is an unwritten rule in tech, always go for the highest spec——-equals the least relative depreciation!

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed ! That is why loaner doesn't really want to take a risk on a Taycan... unfortunately.

In your opinion, at what level can we consider it to be a good resale value after 3 years for a Taycan Turbo (~40000km) ?
Total speculation on my part (not having actuarial a done)......expect greater than %50 depreciation over 3-4 years with these gen1 models. I’ll get flamed for saying that, but it’s just my opinion!

therealtommylee

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 GT3, C7 A6
Country flag
Total speculation on my part (not having actuarial a done)......expect greater than %50 depreciation over 3-4 years with these gen1 models. I’ll get flamed for saying that, but it’s just my opinion!
I don't think that's all that unreasonable. Four-door performance vehicles that aren't limited editions tend to have pretty steep depreciation curves. If you look at the Panamera's depreciation curve as a reference, it follows that trajectory where it's at ~50% depreciation somewhere in the 3-4 year timeframe. Although I'm dreading that, I also can't think of a more exciting car to own that can fit my 2 young kids, allow me to drive like a maniac in the winter, and enjoy hooning around town in the warmer months like I currently do with my GT3. I've also thought about ditching my A6 for a used 2018 M5, but we also own a Tesla Model X and there's nothing quite like the instant torque of an EV.

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think that's all that unreasonable. Four-door performance vehicles that aren't limited editions tend to have pretty steep depreciation curves. If you look at the Panamera's depreciation curve as a reference, it follows that trajectory where it's at ~50% depreciation somewhere in the 3-4 year timeframe. Although I'm dreading that, I also can't think of a more exciting car to own that can fit my 2 young kids, allow me to drive like a maniac in the winter, and enjoy hooning around town in the warmer months like I currently do with my GT3. I've also thought about ditching my A6 for a used 2018 M5, but we also own a Tesla Model X and there's nothing quite like the instant torque of an EV.
Nice!
After my disappointment with the Taycan as a whole package, my C4S 991.2 is the best vehicle for me. 7spd manual does amazing fuel consumption on long trips and can open up the beast on the track......while spewing hydrocarbons off course;) I’ll prolly just order a VW ID3 to quell my EV tech addiction!

JohnJohnsonnnS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi
Country flag
When it comes to resale value, the Porsche Taycan is definitely a great choice. It has a great design and a lot of technological features, like a very efficient battery system. The resale value should be quite good, especially if you take good care of it. I'd suggest looking into long-term leasing or leasing with an option to buy, as this will help you to get the most out of your investment. You can also contact a qualified mortgage broker to get an experienced Mortgage Advice York if you're considering a purchase in the future. Thanks for bringing this up, and I'm looking forward to hearing more opinions on the matter.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi guys,

At a minimum budget on 10% annual depreciation over 3 years. It is in Porsche's interest to preserve their brand and control the market especially from a franchised dealership.

MY25 cars will likely have increased range so that may impact the residual further. Batteries have an 8 year warranty and individual cells can be replaced so that ought not impact resale really - could be used as an excuse but the point can be logically argued against.

In current market - assume 15% - to be ultra conservative.

Remember, highly optioned cars lose the most value as many options have no real value - several do but not all.

Tesla stupidly reduced the price of their new cars globally which had an immediate impact on 2nd hand values and so I wouldn't use this as a comparison.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag

What motor technology is this and what battery technology? LFP batteries?

Li Ion batteries have not noticeably changed and neither have electric motors.

EVs will change when solid state batteries become mass market. Other than that there is nothing new.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
All EV’s aren’t just cars any more. They are units of technology. In 3 years technology jumps ahead HUGELY!
Came across this comment of 2,5 years ago.
We do not yet see that predicted "technology jump after 3 years". Still half a year to go, :)
I don't think that the technology will move so fast that it will drastically impact resale value.
An 8 year old Model S still performs fine in today's world.
Sponsored