Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I typically drive in Nomal mode, occasionally in Sport mode (mainly to impress passengers while accelerating), and seldom in Range mode. Since several forum members described a changed car behavior in Range mode post-update, I decided to try Range mode again today on my 88 miles (142 km) run to and from the airport. 53 miles (86 km, 60%) were on the I-95 highway at 70-80 mph (~120 km/h) and 35 miles (56 km, 40%) on Route 1 at 60-65 mph (~100 km/h). The weather in central New Jersey was a bit more chilly today at 70F/21C. I kept my airco on ECO mode at 67F/19.5C and the battery temperature during the trip varied between 86F/30C and 91F/33C. As a first step I charged my battery to 99% SoC which projected 343 miles (552 km) of range. This translates into 346 miles (557 km) at 100%.
Porsche Taycan Trying Range mode after WMA5 update SoCmay24

However, the garage was still 29C/84F because of the warmer weather lately. I also noticed that the WMA5 update reset my maximum speed in Range mode to 60 mph. Driving outside into cooler air and setting the maximum Range speed at 85 mph immediately reduced my projected range in the guessometer to 335 miles (539 km) at 99%.

Whereas I remember Range mode pre-update to be almost exclusively front-motor-pulled, it now seems that getting up to speed is mainly rear-motor-pushed whereas cruising still happens front-motor only. Upon returning from this trip, the remaining SoC was 74% and the projected range was 244 miles (393 km) which translates into 330 miles (531 km) at 100%. This is rather close tot the 338 miles (544 km)projection at 100% I started out with. Overall consumption during the trip (according to the Taycan's Trip screen) was 28.1 kWh/100mi (17.5 kWh/100km), so Range mode lives up to its name. Interesting final detail: switching from Range-max-85mph mode to Normal mode flipped the remaining 244 miles projected range into 238 miles (383 km). Not such a big penalty (2.5%). Some vital stats: 2020 Taycan 4S, big battery, 19" Aero wheels, manual charge port covers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Thanks for the info, how many actual miles did you drive in that 26%? That may be a better way to gauge the actual range because the consumption will be "folded" into the range guess. But the actual usage, specially for longer drives, is pretty accurate.

I have also noticed the change in mine, it does lean more RWD than it used to. But as I posted elsewhere on longer drives I definitely see a significant difference in range even if I drive with a similar style. Its the only EV I've had where the range changes (aero, drivetrain, etc) make a difference outside of my driving style.

Its like magic! :cool:

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the info, how many actual miles did you drive in that 26%? That may be a better way to gauge the actual range because the consumption will be "folded" into the range guess. But the actual usage, specially for longer drives, is pretty accurate.

I have also noticed the change in mine, it does lean more RWD than it used to. But as I posted elsewhere on longer drives I definitely see a significant difference in range even if I drive with a similar style. Its the only EV I've had where the range changes (aero, drivetrain, etc) make a difference outside of my driving style.

Its like magic! :cool:
Hi @epirali , I actually consumed 25% SoC (started at 99% and ended at 74%) over a total distance of 88.2 miles. If you assume that the usable capacity of a big-battery Taycan is the official 83.7 kWh, then this would be a 23.7 kWh/100mi consumption. However, based on what I can pump into the battery while charging, the real usable capacity of the battery seems to be larger, although it is difficult to measure exactly given the charging losses.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well honestly that is AMAZING, that implies you could actually hit 350 miles with no change in conditions. Must have been very flat, no headwinds, and you must have made sure not to eat anything too heavy! :)

What was the average speed for that trip?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just a question. Do you think you can beat 300 miles on a full charge at highway speeds under ideal conditions.? I don't think that has been done yet. With your 19 inch tires you are the one most likely to do it.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a question. Do you think you can beat 300 miles on a full charge at highway speeds under ideal conditions.? I don't think that has been done yet. With your 19 inch tires you are the one most likely to do it.
The conditions yesterday were close to ideal; maybe the ambient temperature was a couple degrees below optimum. I took note of the consumption data for each of the Route 1 and I-95 legs separately. On the 53 miles of I-95 highway (back and forth, so it at least compensates any wind direction impact), I consumed 15% of the battery's usable capacity, so theoretically I should be able to cover 353 miles on the highway under those conditions. My speed fluctuated between 70 and 80 mph and felt like 75 mph on average. I consumed somewhat less on the North-bound stretch of highway than on the South-bound one, so there may be an impact of the wind direction and possibly of the ambient temperature dropping a few degrees. My extrapolated range on I-95 South was 344 miles and on I-95 North 367 miles. So, bottom line, I think 300 miles in good conditions at 75 mph on the highway is feasible. Once faster than 80 mph, I presume consumption starts increasing dramatically.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well honestly that is AMAZING, that implies you could actually hit 350 miles with no change in conditions. Must have been very flat, no headwinds, and you must have made sure not to eat anything too heavy! :)

What was the average speed for that trip?
I actually lost quite a lot of weight over the last year because at home my wife controls my calorie intake as frugally as the Taycan's Range mode controls electrons consumption. Yep, flat indeed and little wind at all. Despite the steady speed around 75 mph (never less than 70 and never more than 80) my I-95 highway consumption was even marginally lower than my Route 1 consumption despite markedly lower speeds of 60 to 65 mph. The big difference is that Route 1 had several traffic lights where I had to come to a full stop and accelerate again, possibly ten or twelve times in all during the trip. Any consumption gain from lower speed was nixed by the inefficiency of the stop&go pattern. This stop&go also reflected in the average speed of the trip which was 41 mph.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
TeslaBjørn managed about 580km during his test at 90km/h and 19". Don't think I've ever seen higher than 420km on the display while AC was on.

Then again the car has only been used in cold weather. Starting the fifth week that it's been at the service center now. Miss it.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This translates into 346 miles (557 km) at 100%.
Excellent! But I do wonder if you can get even close to this range actually driving to near empty with your 28.1 kWh/100mi (17.5 kWh/100km) consumption. What's your experience?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Easy! While driving you just have to reduce the speed so you hit your consumption target, which then gives you the range.

Deleted member 1697

In dry conditions 20degrees, i usually (once a week) reach the 280km (175miles) at 160km/h (100mph) most of the time in sport mode in the lowest position. 2 hours. From 100% to 5%.
it seems i cannot do better in range mode at 140Km/h (90mph) (have not test in range mode since the update. I don’t use it)
Backway, 220km (140miles) at 160km/h (100mph) most of time from 80% to 5% (once a week)
(Total trip is 350Km(220miles)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Excellent! But I do wonder if you can get even close to this range actually driving to near empty with your 28.1 kWh/100mi (17.5 kWh/100km) consumption. What's your experience?
I simply do not have the guts to try it.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I simply do not have the guts to try it.
:blush: I recall the day I picked up my Taycan at the PC. Went to my son, showed the car, took his kids for a spirited drive, lot's of cheers and joys in the back, dropped them off again and went home. Got check your range message about 45km from home. I arrived home with 6km range left, oops...
Sponsored