EA 30 mins free charging question...

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Does 30 mins tied to a location or I can do 30 mins at one station, and if necessary, move over to a 2nd station at the same location, and get another 30 mins?

Just wondering how this 30 mins is allocated? What happens when you hit the 30min mark, and you're 5 mins away, do you get billed for the 5 mins idling?

Tesla user, so not familiar with how the EA billing system works. Thanks.

-ThinkMac-
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Does 30 mins tied to a location or I can do 30 mins at one station, and if necessary, move over to a 2nd station at the same location, and get another 30 mins?

Just wondering how this 30 mins is allocated? What happens when you hit the 30min mark, and you're 5 mins away, do you get billed for the 5 mins idling?

Tesla user, so not familiar with how the EA billing system works. Thanks.

-ThinkMac-
I believe an hour or so needs to pass before you can start a new session

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I personally have had no issues starting back to back sessions for EA fast charging via the Charge America app or the Porsche Connect app

however it’s worth noting - that for the most part at a 350 kW station when you get the high charge rates 30 minutes is more than enough - I also came from Tesla and was initially “disappointment” that Porsche “only” offered 30 minutes…however I’ve come to learn that the Taycan charges so fast that for the most part 30 minutes is all you need - yes you can charge for more than 30 minutes with the Taycan - but my experience has been that for the most part you are unplugging after 30 minutes and the battery is well over 85% SOC at that point (93% last time I unplugged at 30 minutes) - yes you can spend more time to get to that last 15% but the charge rate has tapered such that the last 8% or so is not time effective vs. range gained…

for the most part you shouldn’t need more than 30 minutes at 150 or 350 kW stations…

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there is a 10 minute grace period for idle fees.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I personally have had no issues starting back to back sessions for EA fast charging via the Charge America app or the Porsche Connect app

however it’s worth nothing - that for the most part at a 350 kW station when you get the high charge rates 30 minutes is more than enough - I also came from Tesla and was initially “disappointment” that Porsche “only” offered 30 minutes…however I’ve come to learn that the Taycan charges so fast that for the most part 30 minutes is all you need - yes you can charge for more than 30 minutes with the Taycan - but my experience has been that for the most part you are unplugging after 30 minutes and the battery is well over 85% SOC at that point (93% last time I unplugged at 30 minutes) - yes you can spend more time to get to that last 15% but the charge rate has tapered such that the last 8% or so is not time effective vs. range gained…

for the most part you shouldn’t need more than 30 minutes at 150 or 350 kW stations…
if you want the FREE charging you are limited to 30 minutes, the pay clock starts running at 30:01.
if you are willing to pay you can charge all you care to

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the charge america app “stop” the charge at 30 minutes (it’s a setting in the app) - I then un plug and plug-in again and start a new 30 min session - so far it’s worked for me with both separate 30 min sessions being “free”…

I agree if you don’t stop the session and go over you start getting charged - but even that is not that bad since you get a favorable rate vs. the normal public.

honestly the Taycan doesn’t have a big enough battery to be charge for more than like 50 minutes…
Sponsored