manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I have over 7k miles on my Turbo S, but I recently started trying range mode on a couple of road trips. This weekend I drove 248 miles each way across central and western Colorado. All country roads (45-65mph speed limits) with lots of elevation. Several mountain passes including Monarch pass at 11,312ft. Temperature was in the high 80's to mid 90's so I was using the cooled seats and A/C the entire drive. I drove 5-10 mph over the speed limit when possible. I also had two passengers and about 200lbs of gear. Keep in mind this is a Turbo S with 21" wheels, and an EPA rated range of 192 miles.

Results:

Manitou Springs to Montrose Colorado
Distance: 248 miles
Efficiency: 29.9 kWh/100miles
Avg Speed: 47mph
Total Range based on efficiency: 280 miles
(assuming 83.6kWh of usable battery)

Montrose to Manitou Springs Colorado
Efficiency: 29.1 kWh/100miles
Avg Speed: 53mph
Total Range based on efficiency: 287 miles

Both times I stopped briefly in Salida Colorado and used a 125kW Chargepoint Faster Charger to add about 15%. I could have easily made both directions on a single charge, but we needed a break and this charger is in a convenient location at the half way point.

In the past using Sport/Sport Plus mode I have averaged closer to 36.0 kWh/100miles along the same route. Needless to say I have been really impressed with range mode. I have it set to the 85mph limit, but it still has more pickup than just about any car I've ever owned. I did switch to Sport/Sport Plus mode a couple of times when I was planning on passing someone and didn't want to hit the 85mph limiter. Otherwise range mode was great.

The Taycan continue to impress.
Sponsored

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have over 7k miles on my Turbo S, but I recently started trying range mode on a couple of road trips. This weekend I drove 248 miles each way across central and western Colorado. All country roads (45-65mph speed limits) with lots of elevation. Several mountain passes including Monarch pass at 11,312ft. Temperature was in the high 80's to mid 90's so I was using the cooled seats and A/C the entire drive. I drove 5-10 mph over the speed limit when possible. I also had two passengers and about 200lbs of gear. Keep in mind this is a Turbo S with 21" wheels, and an EPA rated range of 192 miles.

Results:

Manitou Springs to Montrose Colorado
Efficiency: 29.9 kWh/100miles
Avg Speed: 47mph
Total Range based on efficiency: 280 miles
(assuming 83.6kWh of usable battery)

Montrose to Manitou Springs Colorado
Efficiency: 29.1 kWh/100miles
Avg Speed: 53mph
Total Range based on efficiency: 287 miles

Both times I stopped briefly in Salida Colorado and used a 125kW Chargepoint Faster Charger to add about 15%. I could have easily made both directions on a single charge, but we needed a break and this charger is in a convenient location at the half way point.

In the past using Sport/Sport Plus mode I have averaged closer to 36.0 kWh/100miles along the same route. Needless to say I have been really impressed with range mode. I have it set to the 85mph limit, but it still has more pickup than just about any car I've ever owned. I did switch to Sport/Sport Plus mode a couple of times when I was planning on passing someone and didn't want to hit the 85mph limiter. Otherwise range mode was great.

The Taycan continue to impress.
I love reading positivity! Thank you.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll add that the same trip in our 2018 Tesla Model X 100D (apparently we have to compare everything to Tesla) with 22" factory wheels and an EPA rated range of 295 miles couldn't do the same trip without charging. We would get into the X and enter the destination. It would show approximately -9% remaining at the destination. There is a supercharger in Poncha Springs (about half way) that we would use.

This was one of our biggest disappointments with our Model X. I knew the EPA range for the Tesla was overly optimistic, but I figured it should be able to eek out the 248 mile distance in good weather. We drive this route multiple times per year (visiting the in-laws) and were really bummed that the X under these driving conditions only had a range of about 225 miles.

Another point of reference is our Audi E-tron. Same drive it average 36.9 kWh/100miles with 20" factory wheels and a roof box. That equals a 226 mile range based on that efficiency. Same range we experienced with the Model X but it's EPA rated range is only 204 miles.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Fantastic write up

29.9kWh/100mi is excellent. From the EPA rating (which means nothing) I didn't think the Turbo S could achieve that.

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
This has been my experience as well. My Taycan Turbo S with 21's now shows 290 mi range estimate after I charge up. And that's driving in a mixture of Normal and Sport. It's waaaay underrated.

I also own a Model 3 P and I'd say the Taycan has around the same range, maybe more, in real world and/or highway driving.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Dave, great write up. I have been wanting to make the Hwy 50 drive out to the western slope for a while, but just am not a fan of the 50kW chargers. I realize they are better than nothing, especially in the more remote areas of Colorado.

Sorry to state the obvious, but your experience just further validates that speed is the key battery draining factor. Obviously, Hwy 50 is not a designed for high speeds and with summer time RV traffic, it is hard to get above 50mph, so that is huge for efficiency/range. You had extra weight in the car, used climate, and had elevation gain, but you were still super efficient because the speed was very low due to traffic conditions.

I was curious if you saw other EV's and had to wait when you stopped to charge in Salida or Montrose at those 50kW Chargepoint chargers?

My birthday is in the middle of August and I wanted to do a week in Telluride, so I appreciate the trip report on a road I have wanted to take for a while.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dave, great write up. I have been wanting to make the Hwy 50 drive out to the western slope for a while, but just am not a fan of the 50kW chargers. I realize they are better than nothing, especially in the more remote areas of Colorado.

Sorry to state the obvious, but your experience just further validates that speed is the key battery draining factor. Obviously, Hwy 50 is not a designed for high speeds and with summer time RV traffic, it is hard to get above 50mph, so that is huge for efficiency/range. You had extra weight in the car, used climate, and had elevation gain, but you were still super efficient because the speed was very low due to traffic conditions.

I was curious if you saw other EV's and had to wait when you stopped to charge in Salida or Montrose at those 50kW Chargepoint chargers?

My birthday is in the middle of August and I wanted to do a week in Telluride, so I appreciate the trip report on a road I have wanted to take for a while.
Most of Hwy 50 is 55-65mph speed limits. Like I said I was typically cruising at 5-10 over, so not that slow. On a recent return trip from Santa Fe in Range Mode I average 31.7kWh/100 miles at 76mph average from Walsenburg to Colorado Springs. I had the cruise control at 85mph most of that distance. That equates to a 263 mile range.

I've only charged in Salida, but their Chargepoint charger is a 62.5kW dual charger that is networked. So if another EV isn't present it combines the power of both chargers. I was able to charge at 118kW. No other EV's around. Salida also has a nice place for lunch right next to the charger. Not bad.

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Impressive Results in Taycan Turbo S with Range Mode IMG_3796

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I loved the writeup. Are you going to do the Devaluation tour again in September? Your posts from last time got me hooked on Dan's channel!
I'm not sure if I'll be going this year. Work has been crazy and I don't know if I'll be able to take the week off.

One interesting note is 4 new high speed DC chargers have been installed along the route we took last year with another 6 currently being installed. That's 10 new chargers! Colorado is really stepping up the game adding chargers in remote locations.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
I have experienced similar numbers to yours in similar driving conditions (mountain driving, AC etc). RANGE mode with cruise control on is very efficient. The PIRM seems to be very accurate, biased on the conservative side (A good thing)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
These are very good consumption readings in Range Mode! Seems the Turbo S has the most to gain with range mode.
Sponsored