Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I picked up my Taycan 2 weeks ago, and 2 days later set off to hang out and "work from home" in Vegas for a week.

The trip is a bit over 500 miles each way, and since I was super-conservative, I planned on making 3 stops on the way (and one in Vegas once I got there). I was prepared for non-working EA chargers, but every single one functioned as expected, both going there and heading back.

I stopped on I-5 at the Shell at Panoche Rd in Firebaugh, at Bakersfield Plaza in Bakersfield, and at a Walmart in Barstow. In Vegas I used the charger at the South Premium Outlets a few times. I was usually in the 40%-50% range every time I stopped.

The car was great to drive on the road trip, as I went for the low-stress of setting InnoDrive at 5mph over, and just letting it deal with traffic. For nav, I used the Porsche Nav running on the passenger screen, and had Waze running in CarPlay (without route guidance, as you can't have both trying to navigate at once).

When I got to Barstow, one of the chargers was in use....

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Sunnyvale to Vegas in a Taycan Turbo X0hQFFrPfsAAL?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

The owner of the silver Taycan was headed the opposite way, from Vegas, and he had just received his car also. I'm guessing we were probably on the same boat.

When I got home, the trip computer reported less than 340Wh/mi, which was better than I expected. There are definitely some decent elevation changes, and it can be pretty windy in places (as evidenced by the huge wind farm near Tehachapi).

In the future, I'd hope to do the trip in 1 less stop, but I think I'd like to see a few more 150kW+ chargers (not all have to be EA) along the way, to have backup plans in case a charger doesn't work, or is full.

One last thing, while at the Firebaugh stop, you can see a huge supercharger area across the road, and the 1 thing I was jealous of was that it was covered. None of the EA charging stops is covered, and it'd totally suck to have to deal with charging if the weather was much different than it was. (Sunny and between 75-85 at each of my stops).
Sponsored

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@Miwa
Thanks for the trip feedback, I’, jealous over here on the east coast
What size wheels are you running?

I picked up my Taycan 2 weeks ago, and 2 days later set off to hang out and "work from home" in Vegas for a week.

The trip is a bit over 500 miles each way, and since I was super-conservative, I planned on making 3 stops on the way (and one in Vegas once I got there). I was prepared for non-working EA chargers, but every single one functioned as expected, both going there and heading back.

I stopped on I-5 at the Shell at Panoche Rd in Firebaugh, at Bakersfield Plaza in Bakersfield, and at a Walmart in Barstow. In Vegas I used the charger at the South Premium Outlets a few times. I was usually in the 40%-50% range every time I stopped.

The car was great to drive on the road trip, as I went for the low-stress of setting InnoDrive at 5mph over, and just letting it deal with traffic. For nav, I used the Porsche Nav running on the passenger screen, and had Waze running in CarPlay (without route guidance, as you can't have both trying to navigate at once).

When I got to Barstow, one of the chargers was in use....

X0hQFFrPfsAAL?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none.jpg

The owner of the silver Taycan was headed the opposite way, from Vegas, and he had just received his car also. I'm guessing we were probably on the same boat.

When I got home, the trip computer reported less than 340Wh/mi, which was better than I expected. There are definitely some decent elevation changes, and it can be pretty windy in places (as evidenced by the huge wind farm near Tehachapi).

In the future, I'd hope to do the trip in 1 less stop, but I think I'd like to see a few more 150kW+ chargers (not all have to be EA) along the way, to have backup plans in case a charger doesn't work, or is full.

One last thing, while at the Firebaugh stop, you can see a huge supercharger area across the road, and the 1 thing I was jealous of was that it was covered. None of the EA charging stops is covered, and it'd totally suck to have to deal with charging if the weather was much different than it was. (Sunny and between 75-85 at each of my stops).

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Miwa
GREAT, those are the same wheels I have spec’d
for the tires, are they the Conti Pro Contact?

They are the 21" Mission E wheels, with the stock all-seasons.

OP
OP
Miwa

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'd have to go look, but it'd be whatever everyone else in the US got on the 21" wheels that didn't get a Turbo S. Can't option summer tires on the Turbo :mad:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
How was the trip itself? I was thinking of doing that, just for the heck of it (I have no business or home in Vegas).

Anything scenic or interesting along the way? I have never made that trip.

thanks

OP
OP
Miwa

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've driven that route many times, it's not particularly scenic, other than on 152, and a bit on 58, maybe. Mostly it's desert. I-15 is mostly a straight line, which has been fun in the past for some serious high speed runs. (I followed a Ferrari, and an M5 hauling ass there once back when I had an RS4). I imagine if you go the back way, there's probably some good visuals going through the mountains, but you'd be a really long way from any charging.

I guess one interesting thing is you can see a number of different green energy sources in action... there's solar farms, tons of windmills near Tehachapi, and the crazy solar thermal stations in Nipton.

It was nice to hang out in a nice room for a week, as I used some comps to stay at Vdara, and just do takeout for food for the most part.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd have to go look, but it'd be whatever everyone else in the US got on the 21" wheels that didn't get a Turbo S. Can't option summer tires on the Turbo :mad:
It's just a $35k option for summer tires. :cool: And they throw in a HP boost and some more aggressive trim for free.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Miwa
Forgot to ask how while using Innodrive, did you also use Lane Keep and how did they do for you?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
what a great report -thanks!