Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
No kidding.
It's a sleeper.
Must be.
No one drives a Prius for fun. 😂
That does seem to be "internet fact" :)

I bought my first Prius in 2005 because I was interested by how they had achieved the CVT.
I had been involved in investigating CVT for Formula 1 in the 1980s because it is so much better than fixed ratio gearboxes. Mechanically thet are extremely difficult to engineer and whilst it was quicker it got banned before everybody had to design one.
Anyway the Toyota e-CVT is an extremely elegant and light design and appealed to my engineering admiration, if you have any engineering aptitude it is worth looking into.

The self styled car experts had slagged it off but I was surprised how good it was, and my dsughter has it now, still 100% reliable and on its original traction battery 17 years later. We have had at least 1 Prius ever since.

The one in the picture is over 4 years old now and I chose it over a Panamera sport turismo plug in hybrid in the end and the only thing I miss is the acceleration.
The Prius has wishbone suspension all round and is 600kg lighter I didn't prefer the Panamera enough for my use to pay the difference.

With the Taycan I did.

The Prius will be quicker than the Taycan on long journeys but probably not as restful.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Am I correct in thinking that US cars have this light in orange, but UK have it in a clear colour?
If so, the UK has finally done something right! :D

ef4981fe317c19390384653192cdcc43.png
Clear side markers and amber/yellow turn indicators on the back are so much better looking (and in the case of turn indicators much safer), but this being the US, we'll have to wait another half century or so before we get those improvements. Clear side marker you can swap easily, but not the rear turn indicators unfortunately. If you really want to know how dangerous the US light are, if you have your hazard lights on, you have lost most if not all of the brake indicators. More on that:

Reactions: B61

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
You should've bought a DAF Variomatic then, that was a true piece of engineering back in the 60's and a great classic nowadays, even affordable.
And you would've look cool no matter what.
A Prius is a bit meh...😉

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic
I am familiar with the Variomatic system. The final version of the banned Formula 1 system used the same type of idea but steel belts in compression rather than rubber in tension.

I have read before critiscisms of the Prius but they almost always come from people who have not driven them much, if as all, and journalists who don’t understand what a CVT is or why it is better so I ignore their writings.

Thankfully for fans motoring writers are usually chosen for their writing ability rather than their engineering aptitude so are usually entertaining rather than enlightening.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
The Prius will be quicker than the Taycan on long journeys but probably not as restful.
How comes? Because of time for charging?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
😂

I am a bit old for pumpkins.
Neither Halloween nor pumpkins were a "thing" when I was a child here in England.

It has been successfully economically exploited now though!
You're not wrong.

Bonfire night was the main event for us. Halloween barely got a mention apart from an add pumpkin head made by school kids.

Then the film 'Halloween' came out in the 80s and it has been pushed/monetized ever since.

I dropped into a local bar (adults only) Thursday night and they had Halloween stuff everywhere with cobwebs on the till. Why?
I told the barmaid they should sack the cleaners. She asked why and I said 'they're useless..... there's cobwebs and 5hite all over the place'

She just looked confused 🤣

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
When I was leaving school (1969) there was one car I wanted. No chance ever of getting, yet still wanted. Nice to see it next to my old white thing! How things have changed? Although - with all the disruption going on - I’m sure for most auto makers, it would be preferable if we still drove them. . . .

Porsche Taycan Location! Location! Location!  Post Artistic Photos of Your Taycan with Scenery JPEG ima

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Clear side markers and amber/yellow turn indicators on the back are so much better looking (and in the case of turn indicators much safer), but this being the US, we'll have to wait another half century or so before we get those improvements. Clear side marker you can swap easily, but not the rear turn indicators unfortunately. If you really want to know how dangerous the US light are, if you have your hazard lights on, you have lost most if not all of the brake indicators. More on that:
Do the EU Taycans have amber rear turn signals? If so, can the U.S market buy them? hehe

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Do the EU Taycans have amber rear turn signals? If so, can the U.S market buy them? hehe
Yes. Not as simple as swapping the side markers since it's not just the color of a segment, but also which segments light up as stop lights vs. which ones as turn signals. This means it would probably not just require new taillights, but also reprogramming some onboard computer to control the lights differently. I have not seen anyone do it successfully yet, as I would be interested in it too.

Below is what the tail lights function assignments are outside of North America. In North America, all 3 outer lights are red and light up together as brake lights, except when turn signal is activated, then they become turn red signals and brake light function is disabled.

Porsche Taycan Location! Location! Location!  Post Artistic Photos of Your Taycan with Scenery 1667886907871

Last edited:

Ezikiel37

First Name
Ezikiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello from the Bay Area!

You know, some people take professional photos of their kids, I do it of my car lol.
I have soo many more, don't want to spam more than I already am.

DSC01517.jpg

DSC01751-Edit.jpg

DSC01367.jpg
Wow I need a shot like this. Well done