Status
Not open for further replies.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Same here, you should email Porsche R&D and educate them on this stuff. It appears that their experience with aerodynamics and design is leading them down the wrong path.
I'll jump right on that. Thank you for the helpful suggestion.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
all this really tells me is that the Taycan is successful enough internally that Porsche is continuing to invest in the platform - they don't do test mules for products they don't care aboutā€¦

there is nothing but good news in those pictures, and it has nothing to do with ring times, aero bits, or any functional differences real or perceivedā€¦

this EV thing is working out for Porsche and they see value in pushing it and iterating on itā€¦

nothing but good news.

nothing worse than an abandoned product lineā€¦that's not the case here.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough. I know what an aero kit package is. For an EV at road legal speeds, you simply don't need that type of aero. You don't need the downforce and God knows you don't want to make your range decrease due to unnecessary aero bits. You don't even need them for ICE street cars, but at least with ICE cars you don't have to worry about range. It might make sense for something like a GT3RS that actually gets taken to the track, but most owners I imagine will not even take them to the track, which means they are just there to flex . . . And of course Porsche knows this, but it's in the business of selling cars so it is willing to put things on cars that don't make logical sense to get those who care about flexing to pay more money for it. Indeed, that likely explains launch control and several other features. That still doesn't mean it makes sense from a driving perspective.
Donā€™t forget that with this aero package it will also come with a new ā€˜ring lap record to prove how effective it isā€¦ until itā€™s broken a few months later.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the increased aero bits are not about just increasing Porsche's profit margin's - let's not forget about the hard hit EV fast charging networks - it's a revenue booster of them also - in fact may be they are the one's driving this change - need more stops at road side charging!!! Yeah Yeah let's increase the drag and reduce the range - that's a business model!!!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
having driven the GT4 RS @ the Ring for 2 days - not a fan - but I can see why some people want it - GT3 for me (RS or otherwise)ā€¦

I'm also looking forward to the Mission-R when that hitsā€¦

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I have speculated, and think, that Taycan (probably next gen) GT models will require advanced battery tech to be a viable option. Basically this means that they need solid state batteries.

Could this be just a test mule for Cayman EV, or for future tech for next gen Taycan?

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I have speculated, and think, that Taycan (probably next gen) GT models will require advanced battery tech to be a viable option. Basically this means that they need solid state batteries.

Could this be just a test mule for Cayman EV, or for future tech for next gen Taycan?
Their IPO prospectus goes in to detail about future battery tech. Significantly increased energy density is in the works. Theyā€™re also focussed on a mid-life cycle refresh on the Taycan at the moment which these pics could also relate to.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Is that also an issue for the RWD?
Perhaps a slight improvement over AWD versions since you lose the 200lbs on the front axle. But itā€™s still under tired in the front for the weight distribution and suspension tuned to be conservative and on the safe side, meaning loads of understeer.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Perhaps a slight improvement over AWD versions since you lose the 200lbs on the front axle. But itā€™s still under tired in the front for the weight distribution and suspension tuned to be conservative and on the safe side, meaning loads of understeer.
To be fair, all but the most track-focused Porsche models are intentionally tuned by factory to have loads of understeer (if you can even get to any material understeer without involvement of electronic nanny).

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Does Porsche traditionally fit test mules with Recaro racing seats?

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
I think pretty obvious they are going to make a GT variant similar to the Cayenne GT to slot in above the Turbo S for another ultra-high-profit-margin trim. Call it the fastest track EV ever (like the fastest SUV ever for the cayenne GT) and bada bing bada boom.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They should "facelift" the abysmal range and software glitches...;)
Sponsored

Reactions: B61
Status
Not open for further replies.