NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So for clarity, it is best to set up the charging profiles and timer on the car PCM and just monitor from the Connect App to avoid a dead battery?
Short answer to your question is yes, but with the qualifier that it's based on speculation, since neither we users nor Porsche seems to know for certain the cause. Profiles and timers themselves don't seem to be a problem, however using the app to change them while the car is plugged into the charger DOES seem to be a problem sometimes. Simply checking on the charge state with the app does not seem to cause trouble.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
to be clear there are no known steps to avoid the problem, and there are no known steps that will cause the problem

there is however informed speculation and reasonable guess...

human nature doesn’t like/accept a total mystery and feels the need for there must be something I can do - I’m firmly in the camp in my opinion that you’re titling at windmills if you there there are steps you can take to avoid this problem - but I’ve also had 30 years professional/commerical software development experience and know 1st hand there is such a thing as:

non-reproducible software problems, and the reason they are non-reproducible is that we don’t understand it, if it was reproducible it would be easier to fix and you could publish a workaround to avoid it...these sorts of problems are very very hard to isolate in software, and it’s always facinating when the development team does eventually find the root cause…

I trust that porsche is continuing to investigate what causes these problems, but have very little confidence anyone outside of Porsche corporate is in a position to make any recommendations that is actually informed.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@daveo4EV I agree with what you said but the biggest problem in my opinion is not their ability to debug but the fact that even known fixes have not yet been delivered to us. Examples include the OTA module and the Transmission module software that both can corrupt themselves. According to the corresponding TSBs they have software fixes for both issues and it is already in 2021 models, but Porsche has not yet released the fix for 2020 models leaving many owners struggling and having to visit the dealer many times for the same problem. It is unclear if/when these fixes and even the 12v bug fix will ever be delivered to current owners, and I would personally expect a better communication and support from a luxury brand.

You can read more about these issues in my posts:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...time-last-time-two-months-ago.3625/post-49908

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/heap-of-electric-junk-transmission-failure.3637/post-49998
Sponsored

Last edited: