First Name
Andy R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Good afternoon everyone

Since my last post regarding distance for a full charge I have now had the 12 volt battery issue.

Porsche Taycan 12 Volt Battery issue now 11981-55199fbfe17ca575ca9329b836451af4

I put the Taycan on charge Saturday night for a 12:00 - 06:30am charge, during the night I received a call from Voda phone (3am) to say they had lost contact with the car due to battery failure. When I checked the next morning the car 12 volt battery was dead.

Porsche have sent me a reply today with the problem, if the key is kept within 10meters of the car it will drain the battery!!! They are going to let me read a memo from Porsche Stuttgart to clarify there answer.

So for all owners who live in a modest size house and don't have the luxury of a garage over 10meters away they recommend a storage box to block the signal!!

Also the App stays in contact with the car so this can be a problem as well.

I would like to know if Porsche have told any other customer the same story?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Porsche have sent me a reply today with the problem, if the key is kept within 10meters of the car it will drain the battery!!! They are going to let me read a memo from Porsche Stuttgart to clarify there answer.
Wow! That is a new one! 10 meters away just to avoid a drained battery?

That really sounds like a very desperate reason for the 12 volt issue.
To me that indicates more that they have not got a bloody clue what causes the 12 volt issues!

Very disappointing answer from Porsche

OP
OP

Andrew Rawson

First Name
Andy R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Wow! That is a new one! 10 meters away just to avoid a drained battery?

That really sounds like a very desperate reason for the 12 volt issue.
To me that indicates more that they have not got a bloody clue what causes the 12 volt issues!

Very disappointing answer from Porsche

OP
OP

Andrew Rawson

First Name
Andy R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
? that was my response to them. Apparently they will show me the memo but I can’t have a copy!! but I will try and take a picture and post it.
I just find it frustrating that Porsche haven’t got this sorted before it gets out of hand

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Good afternoon everyone

Since my last post regarding distance for a full charge I have now had the 12 volt battery issue.

11981-55199fbfe17ca575ca9329b836451af4.jpg

I put the Taycan on charge Saturday night for a 12:00 - 06:30am charge, during the night I received a call from Voda phone (3am) to say they had lost contact with the car due to battery failure. When I checked the next morning the car 12 volt battery was dead.

So for all owners who live in a modest size house and don't have the luxury of a garage over 10meters away they recommend a storage box to block the signal!!

I really hope this is BS! At work I park what must be pretty much bang on 10m away from my desk. So I've just moved my key to the far end of the office! ? Might have to park an extra 1m away from now on just in case.

Really don't want to get stuck at work.

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I really hope this is BS! At work I park what must be pretty much bang on 10m away from my desk. So I've just moved my key to the far end of the office! ? Might have to park an extra 1m away from now on just in case.

Really don't want to get stuck at work.
I think they are correct!

if you notice the porsche weaponshield (logo) on your key it lights up red when close to the car (and I dont have the comfort acces om mine), the system turns on and this will drain the battery.

moreover the 12V is small in capacity and voltage goes up/down a lot. When being to low it shuts off to protect the battery from damage to the cells..

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I think they are correct!

if you notice the porsche weaponshield (logo) on your key it lights up red when close to the car (and I dont have the comfort acces om mine), the system turns on and this will drain the battery.

moreover the 12V is small in capacity and voltage goes up/down a lot. When being to low it shuts off to protect the battery from damage to the cells..
Yes I had noticed that, and I don't have comfort access.

Well that's good to know!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Good afternoon everyone

11981-55199fbfe17ca575ca9329b836451af4.jpg

I'm not convinced that (keeping the key away from the car) is relevant. I suppose it can't hurt though...

I would bet that lots of folks keep their keys within 10m of their car on a regular basis.

@KensingtonPark stated he keeps his keys in a faraday cage (which would effectively provide the same result). I also think this might have been part of early speculation in @louv 's thread.

Maybe one of them can provide insight from their personal experience? (I would certainly trust them more than Porsche at this point...)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have several of those for my passport and phone when traveling internationally.

Do yourself a favor, put your phone inside the bag/pouch and then call it. See if you can hear it ring. Many of those bags don't work as advertised...

Its a shame anyone should have to do this (if it truly is the problem)... This would be the first car (ICE or EV) which I am aware of having this issue.

Maybe Porsche will $ell a nice leather logo'ed faraday bag just for the Taycan?

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Connect app has been running in the background for me since April, other than a stint from mid-October to early December, which started with 12V battery death (probably because I changed the target charge on a timer while it was plugged in) and ended almost 8 weeks later with replacement of my OTA control module that restored connectivity that was broken since the 12V battery died. Other than that one time, no other issues with Connect running in the background on my phone. So I'm not inclined to think having the app or having it in the background is an issue. Using it to manipulate the car means the PCM and 12V system has to wake-up, which invites problems.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
? that was my response to them. Apparently they will show me the memo but I can’t have a copy!! but I will try and take a picture and post it.
I just find it frustrating that Porsche haven’t got this sorted before it gets out of hand
That is interesting though as when my key was clearly only a few metres away from the car, the key fob battery drained and gave me a warning to change the battery (month 2 of ownership). Now its kept in a different place and flashes less and the key fob is fine...so maybe there is a connection?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I sincerely doubt this is the whole cause - I'm confident the dealers have no knowledge on this issue and are grasping at straws…

Porsche may have an idea what the issue is - but if they know what it is why aren't they fixing it?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I sincerely doubt this is the whole cause - I'm confident the dealers have no knowledge on this issue and are grasping at straws…

Porsche may have an idea what the issue is - but if they know what it is why aren't they fixing it?
Auto manufacturers have been dealing with RFID key fobs for many, many years. This technology is in no way unique to EV's.

Its also fairly obvious that the most efficient way to build a software foundation for a new car is to re-use and modify existing software which has been used in other models. No one is going to be building an entire set of firmware for a particular car from scratch. They are going to reuse as much as possible from other models, modifying it as required for new models.

I fully expect that the "Key Fob Firmware" used in the Taycan, is not much different from any other model in the Porsche lineup. It may very well be modified, but I'm willing to bet the foundation of it is pretty standardized. I don't believe any other Porsche models are suffering from 12V battery failures when their key fobs are near the car. Please correct me if I am wrong!

However, what is brand new, is the logic used to activate and control the charging process. The Taycan has much new software which needed to be created from scratch to support this process. Porsche ICE models simply don't need to "wake up" in the middle of the night to change their charging parameters...

Its more likely it is this newer code which is causing us (and Porsche) problems...

The REAL SCARY part here is that Porsche appears to be completely unable to identify the source of this problem let alone resolve it. This is a major problem which renders vehicles completely immobile. There is absolutely no debate about how significant this is, how long Porsche has known about it, and how long all Taycan owners have been waiting for resolution.

$0.02
Sponsored

Last edited: