Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
I have seen people say its a pointless option in the UK as most chargers are either slow or 800V but my dealer tells me theyre being installed more often now.

Any real world experience of the 150kw charger being a genuine useful addition in the UK?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
Please use the search function, this has been discussed to death on here :)

It's not required for UK use but if you will be road tripping to Europe then get it. Dealers know nothing, the forum is the place to be :)

https://www.drivingelectric.com/com...itable-dont-make-charging-essentials-one-them
Yeah I did use search, hence comment "I have seen people say its a pointless option in the UK". However the dealer said it was definitely now in use in the UK. Hence why I was asking if this was still the right info as some of the threads discussing it are old and/or based on other countries.

If up to date view is that its still irrelevant to the UK, I will skip as cant see why Id take a 250m range vehicle to the continent.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Definitely not required in the UK. All 159kw chargers are 800 volt. Only when a charger is 400 volt would the upgrade be required. That all said, for 159 quid, no brainier to get it just in case.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Isn't it standard equipment on MY21 in the UK?

arossti

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
In Canada, the 'ElectrifyCanada' public chargers are mostly 150kW and 350kW. I did NOT opt for the 150kW on-board charger (because I typically charge overnight and don't care about speed), but my CT4 often 'negotiates' a rate of charge at ~82kW irrespective of whether I am at a 150kW or 350kW station. I have not yet seen it go above that. What do ElectrifyAmerica chargers typically top out at?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

arossti

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I guess what I am asking is that since the on-board charger (not the optional 150kW charger) negotiates 82kW when plugged in to a 150kW CCS charger - it does not appear to be limiting power to the 19.2kW onboard charger's rate. So, if the base (not optional) on-board high-speed charger can charge "up to 270kW when the CCS pedestal has >270kW and >850V" as stated on Porsche's website, why/how does it negotiate at 82kW and not say, 95kW or 120kW - or even 50kW? Do you get what I am asking? Is this just software BS or is it an actual piece of equipment that allows a faster rate of charge? It appears that the car is limiting the rate, not the pedestal.

Also - has *anyone* obtained greater power from an ElectrifyAmerica or ElectrifyCanada public charger when plugged into a so-called 150kW or 350kW pedestal - optional 150kW or not?

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I guess what I am asking is that since the on-board charger (not the optional 150kW charger) negotiates 82kW when plugged in to a 150kW CCS charger - it does not appear to be limiting power to the 19.2kW onboard charger's rate. So, if the base (not optional) on-board high-speed charger can charge "up to 270kW when the CCS pedestal has >270kW and >850V" as stated on Porsche's website, why/how does it negotiate at 82kW and not say, 95kW or 120kW - or even 50kW? Do you get what I am asking? Is this just software BS or is it an actual piece of equipment that allows a faster rate of charge? It appears that the car is limiting the rate, not the pedestal.

Also - has *anyone* obtained greater power from an ElectrifyAmerica or ElectrifyCanada public charger when plugged into a so-called 150kW or 350kW pedestal - optional 150kW or not?
I think you are mixing AC and DC.

The standard AC charger is 11 kW and can be upgraded to 22kW (Europe) / 19.2kW.

Base DC charger is 50kW @ 400v up to 270kW (350kW) @ 800v.

Upgrade is for a DC booster - 150kW @ 400v.

The AC and DC chargers are totally independent.

The charge rate is dependent on many factors - battery temp, state of charge, available kW, high speed throttling and so on. Chances are that on two separate visits to the same DC charger you will get different charge rates.

arossti

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I think you are mixing AC and DC.

The standard AC charger is 11 kW and can be upgraded to 22kW (Europe) / 19.2kW.

Base DC charger is 50kW @ 400v up to 270kW (350kW) @ 800v.

Upgrade is for a DC booster - 150kW @ 400v.

The AC and DC chargers are totally independent.

The charge rate is dependent on many factors - battery temp, state of charge, available kW, high speed throttling and so on. Chances are that on two separate visits to the same DC charger you will get different charge rates.
Thanks. That totally makes sense. I guess I would expect that on a 150kW DC charger then, the base charger would limit to 50kW but it goes to 82kW - I am just wondering if others have seen it crawl above that - or is that just a function of the DC charger's voltage (which in these parts, if not 400V, is not really public info afaik)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks. That totally makes sense. I guess I would expect that on a 150kW DC charger then, the base charger would limit to 50kW but it goes to 82kW - I am just wondering if others have seen it crawl above that - or is that just a function of the DC charger's voltage (which in these parts, if not 400V, is not really public info afaik)
It would be good to know the actual voltage of the 150kW charging point - it may be 800v but charging rate limited for the various reasons mentioned earlier.

Honestly not sure what you should expect when plugging into a 400v 150kW unit my guess is that you would expect to get more than 50kW.
Sponsored