150kW on-board DC-DC converter - do I need to order this in UK?

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
How much is
PMCC will handle 22kW and doesn't cost anywhere near £2K.
a new pmcc, I’ve never seen a second hand one and I’m lucky enough to have 3phase
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I think we need to get back on to the topic!

From page 4 where I rejoined the discussion all is about the 22 kW option????

Topic was 150 kW!! Option.

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Shell now putting 22kw AC chargers at supermarkets around the UK - inc. Waitrose. Don't get why you wouldn't want to charge twice as fast.
Also Starbucks and McDonalds and some hotels who don't have enough supply for above 22kw so I agree best to tick the box because it will be needed personnel choice /opinion

Last edited:

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
PMCC will handle 22kW and doesn't cost anywhere near £2K.
Fair enough!
How much is one?
It was nearly £2k quote for me with rewire and stuff as already had the grant for home address for a free 7kw charger.
Still a waste of time whatever the cost and don’t forget the bonus feature that it can break your car!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I think we need to get back on to the topic!

From page 4 where I rejoined the discussion all is about the 22 kW option????

Topic was 150 kW!! Option.
yes - with Tesla Superchargers rolling out to non-Tesla's in Europe (not yet NA because of physical plug issues) - I believe this option is now mostly a no-brainer - superchargers are 400V 72/150/250 kW high-stall count chargers who's reliability currently eclipses most other networks - the 150 kW option will allow you to charge faster and have a shorter charging stop - regardless of how limited the current roll out is, it's not going to stay that way - and more and more and more Tesla Superchargers will be made available to the non-Tesla community

seems a reasonable option (low cost by porsche standards) for high-speed access to such a well regarded and extensive EV charging network.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
also you can embarass Tesla owners with your car's vastly superior charging curve - the Taycan "holds" at/near 150 kW charging rate for far far longer and deeper into the SOC battery range than Tesla's - Tesla's charge fast - but they quickly "peak" and then taper - often times spending most of their time below 100 kW - my Taycan vs. any of my 7 Tesla's spends way way way more time sucking down electrons at >120 kW charging rates - not really tapering until like 60 or 70% SOC - and even then not dropping below 100 kW until the early 80%'s - this charging curve is markedly faster than Tesla's and leads to meaningful reduction in time spent at the charging stalls vs. Tesla's…

it's not a good look for the "brand" for you to tottle along at 50 kW next to a Model 3 that costs 1/3rd the price - and it will cause you to occupy the charging stall for way longer than is reasonable…if the location is busy…

50 kW is fast - but still too long to gracefully idle while you wait to reach 80 or 90%…

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Bash in the UK. Just finalising my 4S order via Salary Sacrifice scheme.

Query:
Haven't been able to fathom out whether to order the 150kW on-board DC-DC converter or give the £294 option a miss...

- Do I need to order this in the UK? Is it actually useful in the context of UK charging infrastructure?
- Are there many chargers in the UK that only supply 400V (where I presume this would be useful or maybe not!)
- Will this £294 worth of add-on be useful when Tesla superchargers become available in the UK, or will the 4S still not charge at full capacity on Tesla super chargers?

Thanks.
I've included this as a 'cover all bases' charging option on my order. In my experience 400V DC charging stations are far more prevalent in the UK currently than 800V (especially if you consider that T Superchargers will inevitably move from trial to full scale operation across all their 120+ sites). Makes little sense to me to hobble yourself to a 50 kW charge rate in these situations....

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've included this as a 'cover all bases' charging option on my order. In my experience 400V DC charging stations are far more prevalent in the UK currently than 800V (especially if you consider that T Superchargers will inevitably move from trial to full scale operation across all their 120+ sites). Makes little sense to me to hobble yourself to a 50 kW charge rate in these situations....
...until you realise the cables at Tesla are too short.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
...until you realise the cables at Tesla are too short.
Depends on the tombstone location. Rear of bay are too short. Side of bay are OK - better if there was a CCS port in both charge ports of the car though.....

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Depends on the tombstone location. Rear of bay are too short. Side of bay are OK - better if there was a CCS port in both charge ports of the car though.....
Other non Tesla charging locations are available...

tomw00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS P510e, i3S,Turbo
Country flag
I am cover all your bases person too and it has just paid off.
I have driven from the UK to Andalucia in southern Spain. I needed to use a Tesla charger in France and the hotel we are currently staying only has a three phase supply and we are miles from anywhere. The next hotel has 22kW too. ps the Taycan is a great GT car
Sponsored