19 vs. 20 inch wheels?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Getting a 4S.

Mainly use as daily driver, maybe a couple longer trips during the year. May even try the track for fun.

I like the look of one of the 20s better than the stock 19s, but I was wondering:

- what is downside of the 20s vs the 19s?
- any noticeable difference in drive on normal mode?
- any reason (beside money) not to chose the 20?

thanks
Sponsored

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
The 19" wheels increase the range of the car which to me is a clear positive. And unlike many others, I actually like the look of the rims on the 19" wheels better than the 20". And they of course cost less.

If I'm going to do some changes later on, that would be custom rims. I have Tomason TN15 on my Audi A7 and I love them. Too bad I scratched them, hopefully won't happen with the Porsche wheels now that I was smart enough to choose the surround view ;)

Dawse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
On the configurator, the range calculator shows the 20 having the same range (or a mile or two more) than the 19 in most conditions. The 21 has shorter range showing

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
On the configurator, the range calculator shows the 20 having the same range (or a mile or two more) than the 19 in most conditions. The 21 has shorter range showing
Yes range shows 1 mile higher with the 20" turbo wheels vs the 19".

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
The 19" wheels increase the range of the car which to me is a clear positive. And unlike many others, I actually like the look of the rims on the 19" wheels better than the 20". And they of course cost less.

If I'm going to do some changes later on, that would be custom rims. I have Tomason TN15 on my Audi A7 and I love them. Too bad I scratched them, hopefully won't happen with the Porsche wheels now that I was smart enough to choose the surround view ;)
Yes range shows 1 mile higher with the 20" turbo wheels vs the 19".
Aftermarket options too
https://www.suncoastparts.com/category/TAYCANV2CHSET.html

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Getting a 4S.

Mainly use as daily driver, maybe a couple longer trips during the year. May even try the track for fun.

I like the look of one of the 20s better than the stock 19s, but I was wondering:

- what is downside of the 20s vs the 19s?
- any noticeable difference in drive on normal mode?
- any reason (beside money) not to chose the 20?

thanks
My personal take is that given all the other vehicle body control features that Taycan have, the difference in driving between 19" and 20" will be very little, unless you regularly drive aggressively. For myself, I went with the 20" mainly because of looks. The 19" tires are basically the same size as my current SUV, so I find that hard to accept for a sports sedan. The 20" tires will have a lower profile which looks and feels more like a sports sedan to me.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes I played with that for some time. 2 miles if mostly freeway and same milage if mostly city. I am thinking the 20" Turbo rims may be more aero and perhaps lighter dropping rotational mass.
My son reminds me that the 19" should be a bit quieter, less likely to curb wheels and cheeper to replace.
20" look better and give more sidewall stiffness giving better cornering.
I am staying with 19" and putting $ to other options.

Jack P

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla models
Country flag
are there any other choices in looks with 19 inch wheels?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
are there any other choices in looks with 19 inch wheels?
Only the one one rim style so far.
I don't find it too unattractive, though I do find the Turbo Aero 20" more attractive.

Here is the 19"
Porsche Taycan 19 vs. 20 inch wheels? detail_M47G_s_0

Vs 20" Turbo Aero
Porsche Taycan 19 vs. 20 inch wheels? detail_M47I_s_0

Jack P

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla models
Country flag
Does anyone experience noise issues with 20 inch tires?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’ve put the Aeros on mine. I doubt there will be any difference in noise. The cabin is super insulated and noise deafening everywhere. Porsche spent ages on that.

wreighven2015

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model X LR+, 2012 Porsche Cayenne, 2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Country flag
I'm looking at the Thermal and Noise insulating glass. Not sure if the test models already have that feature, but I hear (haha) the Taycan is WAY quieter and a Model S or X...

Point being that I don't think the 19 or 20 will make much of a difference in noise if you go with the upgraded glass option...

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordering), 2020 GLS450, 2017 BMW 535d
Country flag
Is anyone aware of optional 19” sizes on the 4s that would work? The base 225/55/19 (F) and 275/45/19 (R) don’t seem to have good tire options (Hankook Evo3 for Sport and Conti ProContact RX for All Season). More options if I jump to 255/50/19 (F) and 285/45/19 (R) which works from a overall diameter perspective but not sure if that works from a width/wheel offset perspective. Guidance appreciated.

Would prefer the extra sidewall height of the 19s (and save $2K) but may jump to 20 to get the PS4s if there are no good optional sizes for the 19s.

Thx in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited: