First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mini John Cooper Works
Country flag
Hi all,

First post on the forum. I picked up my 4S on Friday and thought I’d say hi.

It’s a bit bloody good! It’s my first electric car, and I’m enjoying it a lot. I came from a Macan GTS which was awesome, and the Taycan is obviously a totally different proposition.

I’m sure I’ll post more with thoughts and experiences as I get to know, use and enjoy the car, but my initial thoughts are as follows;

The car is wider than I thought. I’d not seen one in the metal until I picked my car up, but the width surprised me - in a good way.

Love the power delivery. The acceleration is addictive, but it’s the 60mph + that to me seems most impressive.

The comfort is amazing. It’s certainly more refined than I expected. The standard seats are more than enough for me, and the few passengers I’ve taken out have commented on how smooth and comfy the car is, even when pressing on. I’m surrounded by bumpy b-roads and despite the weight the car handles amazingly.

My only complaint so far is regarding charging. I haven’t ‘needed’ to use public chargers yet, but have tried 4. None of them worked. Not even a bit.

At home, I haven’t yet had the thick 6mm cable installed so am using the 13amp plug. It’s woeful - 10 hours charging gets 25% battery. It’s ok for now, semi-lockdown means daily use isn’t required, but I couldn’t see it being sustainable in normal times if it was my only option.

I didn’t spec Bose in the Taycan. Reason being is I didn’t in the Macan either and the standard stereo was more than good enough for my ears. The Taycan however is not as good. I’m not a huge audiophile, but appreciate a decent sound. It’s not terrible, just a bit disappointing compared to the Macan. It’s the bass that’s lacking.

All in all, I’m very happy. The car is drawing so much attention it’s unreal. That may or may not be good in your opinion, but it is a measure of how it stands out. I’m looking forward to driving it more and getting to know the car better.

Porsche Taycan 2 days in to my 4S 5C73A7AD-1C56-496D-AE22-40FD29CC2F1C
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Awesome!!!

A few things to comment on. My username might be Panamera but I actually spent more miles in my Macan Turbo. What an upgrade for you! I always liked the Macan but in a practical way, the Taycan is pure joy.

Totally agree that the post 60 acceleration is mind blowing. I expected being a 4S and electric that the 60-80/80-100/100+ to be a little lackluster but it's not. The car BOLTS from 60 to 120.

Also agree that the car handles poor quality roads much better than expected. I don't feel like I'm completely trashing it on bad roads like I do when driving a 911.

At least the sound system is an easy enough thing to aftermarket if you feel the need down the road.

It sounds like the UK has some real problems with public charging and I'm sorry to hear that. The US isn't great and there are significant problems but more in terms of things taking longer than expected as opposed to just not working. With that said, as more EVs hit the market and these charging companies have more profits to be made we'll see the infrastructure improve rapidly. I expect two years from now the supercharging network will look really solid in most countries with much improved reliability.

There are challenges to being an early adopter but also the pride in taking that leap and leading the pack.

OP
OP
JonNic

JonNic

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Awesome!!!

A few things to comment on. My username might be Panamera but I actually spent more miles in my Macan Turbo. What an upgrade for you! I always liked the Macan but in a practical way, the Taycan is pure joy.

Totally agree that the post 60 acceleration is mind blowing. I expected being a 4S and electric that the 60-80/80-100/100+ to be a little lackluster but it's not. The car BOLTS from 60 to 120.

Also agree that the car handles poor quality roads much better than expected. I don't feel like I'm completely trashing it on bad roads like I do when driving a 911.

At least the sound system is an easy enough thing to aftermarket if you feel the need down the road.

It sounds like the UK has some real problems with public charging and I'm sorry to hear that. The US isn't great and there are significant problems but more in terms of things taking longer than expected as opposed to just not working. With that said, as more EVs hit the market and these charging companies have more profits to be made we'll see the infrastructure improve rapidly. I expect two years from now the supercharging network will look really solid in most countries with much improved reliability.

There are challenges to being an early adopter but also the pride in taking that leap and leading the pack.
Thanks for your reply, and good points. Nice to hear from a former Macan owner. I genuinely loved mine. It ticked so many boxes and as a ‘one car’ solution it was brilliant.

I do expect the networks will improve. It is just the confidence in them in the meantime. In my (very) short experience I have a 100% failure rate using public charging points.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
I’ve had my 4S around a month now and I can equate with pretty much all you say (although I’d add “heavy” as an additional observation - under braking the car often does feel its 2T+ weight at times)

Width is considerable and if you’re often driving on B roads I can only imagine there are “B streets” to match (narrow villages don’t handle street side parking of Taycans terribly well and I for one don’t like to draw attention to my £100k new wheels by backing up traffic

I like the Bose option and it’s all I need for sound - I also like Electric Sound but haven’t concluded how noticeable it is outside the cabin of the car.

One positive is your ownership experience will be transformed when you get home charging sorted out. I went thru that exact same charging agony for 10-14 days at the start ... but now, after some fumbling my car governs use of my recently installed Wallbox Pulsar Plus (I’ve it set to charge to 85% normally) and I used the Porsche smart charger linked to a simple 1ph commando socket at my second home. 235/265 miles range 85/100% charge and my needs are covered and I’m now starting to value the need to never have to Stop to refuel ✅

Yes the car is comfy, suspension height settings are handy where there’s risk to avoid (ferry home, speed control ramps etc) and performance is outstanding - so in short you’ll love the car even more as the next few weeks progress.

Safe & good health to enjoy.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
One positive is your ownership experience will be transformed when you get home charging sorted out.
This is quite true. It made a big difference to me, even though I have all the charging options available, including hypercharging, within 750 meters.

The car has been completely running on photons since about a month (solar panels on my roof). It is a weird feeling. No emissions, no bad feelings, hardly driving to gas stations anymore, and also almost no energy cost to run the car. Unreal.

Cheers,
Henrik

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Quite Frankly, I would not even consider EV ownership if I couldn't charge at home. Its all part of the major convenience factor for me...

Hats off to all those who are doing this on public chargers!

Last edited:

OP
OP
JonNic

JonNic

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve had my 4S around a month now and I can equate with pretty much all you say (although I’d add “heavy” as an additional observation - under braking the car often does feel its 2T+ weight at times)

Width is considerable and if you’re often driving on B roads I can only imagine there are “B streets” to match (narrow villages don’t handle street side parking of Taycans terribly well and I for one don’t like to draw attention to my £100k new wheels by backing up traffic

I like the Bose option and it’s all I need for sound - I also like Electric Sound but haven’t concluded how noticeable it is outside the cabin of the car.

One positive is your ownership experience will be transformed when you get home charging sorted out. I went thru that exact same charging agony for 10-14 days at the start ... but now, after some fumbling my car governs use of my recently installed Wallbox Pulsar Plus (I’ve it set to charge to 85% normally) and I used the Porsche smart charger linked to a simple 1ph commando socket at my second home. 235/265 miles range 85/100% charge and my needs are covered and I’m now starting to value the need to never have to Stop to refuel ✅

Yes the car is comfy, suspension height settings are handy where there’s risk to avoid (ferry home, speed control ramps etc) and performance is outstanding - so in short you’ll love the car even more as the next few weeks progress.

Safe & good health to enjoy.
Thanks And I agree about the heavy bit. I’ve only noticed it under braking, where the initial bite doesn’t seem particularly strong and more pressure is needed to pull the car up from speed.

That said, I’ve been running around in my Wife’s Mini John Cooper Works for the last few months and that’s a featherweight compared to the Taycan so I’ve probably got to adjust my expectations slightly!

OP
OP
JonNic

JonNic

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quite Frankly, I would not even consider EV ownership if I couldn't charge at home. Its all part of the major convenience factor for me...

Hats off to all those who are doing this on public chargers!
Totally agree. If you’ve bought the dream of charging on the go then I think you’d be sorely disappointed and incredibly frustrated.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Totally agree. If you’ve bought the dream of charging on the go then I think you’d be sorely disappointed and incredibly frustrated.
True that!

I don't mean to be a "Garage Snob", but there is no way I'm looking for, driving to, potentially waiting in line, and then standing around at a Public Charger for 20 mins or more while the car charges. I've been doing this for about 7 years now (with 4 EV's) and I've never even seen a public charger.

Full disclosure, I am planning on doing a little cross country trip with the Taycan in Sept just for the experience. But, I'll do it alone, with lots of planning, and without any pressing schedule.

OP
OP
JonNic

JonNic

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True that!

I don't mean to be a "Garage Snob", but there is no way I'm looking for, driving to, potentially waiting in line, and then standing around at a Public Charger for 20 mins or more while the car charges. I've been doing this for about 7 years now (with 4 EV's) and I've never even seen a public charger.

Full disclosure, I am planning on doing a little cross country trip with the Taycan in Sept just for the experience. But, I'll do it alone, with lots of planning, and without any pressing schedule.
I had a similar decision to make. Me, a mate and our Sons are doing the North Coast 500 road trip in a couple of weeks.

It’s a few thousand miles door to door for me, and essentially goes around the top of Scotland. Wild camping / fishing / mountain biking etc.

A big part of me wants to take the Taycan because it’s my new toy, but the reality is I just won’t be able to charge it enough in that part of the UK so I’m going in the Mini JCW. I’ve talked my mate into taking his Abarth 595 though so we’ll both be equally uncomfortable

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I had a similar decision to make. Me, a mate and our Sons are doing the North Coast 500 road trip in a couple of weeks.

It’s a few thousand miles door to door for me, and essentially goes around the top of Scotland. Wild camping / fishing / mountain biking etc.

A big part of me wants to take the Taycan because it’s my new toy, but the reality is I just won’t be able to charge it enough in that part of the UK so I’m going in the Mini JCW. I’ve talked my mate into taking his Abarth 595 though so we’ll both be equally uncomfortable
Great trip. So did you check for chargers and it’s not possible?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Would be a cool trip in the Taycan though. I’ve got a trip to wick in the planning. I’ll need to have a look at ABRP to see how convenient the chargers are located.
Sponsored