crikee1969

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey guys, I am thinking about picking up one of the remaining 2020 4S models but I am seeing lot of issues with 12V batteries and software in both phone APP and on car that are giving me a pause.

My question really is how many of you guys are driving 2020 without 12V battery problems? Is phone app functional? Can you heat/cool car reliably with it? I like to plug the car in to charge as soon as I park it in garage. Is that procedure same on Taycan?
I definitely continue to have problems with the 12v battery. If I don’t drive the car for a few days or so - the battery is dead and I am locked out of my Taycan. I have to go through a 40 minute routine to enter the car, charge to get the frunk open and then charge it up to O can start the car. Now imagine doing that before taking preschooler last to school in freezing temperatures.
This is my 4th Porsche. It maybe my last.

I have had the dealership take it back and try to fix it. They essentially said it was my problem because I was charging it to 100%. Lol. Even at 85% charging I have the same problem.
It is like having a $150K dead iPhone in your garage and needing to make a call.
Sponsored

Colorado

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 4S that I received in August and have put 5100 miles on it. It is a dream car for someone that has a garage to park in and charge at home. My issues are petty and I would buy the car again. Its drivability and performance is outstanding. I don't like all the touch screen controls which are annoying to have to touch two and three times to get something done, but this seems to be the future of all cars. It seems like the car was designed by professional drivers who ignored the little issues like radio and heater controls. The app does not work as promised, but because most of my use is local and charge at home, it makes little difference.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey guys, I am thinking about picking up one of the remaining 2020 4S models but I am seeing lot of issues with 12V batteries and software in both phone APP and on car that are giving me a pause.

My question really is how many of you guys are driving 2020 without 12V battery problems? Is phone app functional? Can you heat/cool car reliably with it? I like to plug the car in to charge as soon as I park it in garage. Is that procedure same on Taycan?

I have a 4S delivered November 2020 and the 12V dying overnight has happened once, which needed Porsche assistance to come snd sort out. The App and PCM are just pot luck, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. My biggest issue is it only being fitted with an 11Kw onboard charger snd not being able to accept the 22Kw of the 3 phase charger I have just had installed at a cost of 2.5k. I enquired about retrofitting the 22Kw onboard charger but have been told that is not an option, but why it is not an option no one at Porsche could explain. Charging time and range are my issues, but, beyond that, it is a fantastic car to drive.

Ymt400

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Tycan 4S in Gentian Blue: Previous: Macan S
Country flag
I’ve had my 4S since May 2020 after sitting at the port for 2 months. I have had no problems with the 12v battery and can use the App to to set climate, profiles, see charge, mileage and location which is all I need. It’s not great but it will do. Had a software update which went well. Nothing would make me change car and is everything I need.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have had the dealership take it back and try to fix it. They essentially said it was my problem because I was charging it to 100%. Lol. Even at 85% charging I have the same problem.
It is like having a $150K dead iPhone in your garage and needing to make a call.
I noticed your profile says Fairfield, CT. Which dealer are you working with Fairfield, Danbury, or Greenwich? I'm currently next door to you in Westport.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Fairfield. They have been responsive, however, my problem remains.
I have purchased and serviced cars at both Fairfield and Danbury. If you are not making progress with the service department at Fairfield, you should consider making an appointment at Danbury. The service set up in Danbury is smaller but much more hands on than Fairfiled. My Taycan is from Danbury. The sales person who put me on the list 5 years ago is now at Fairfield.

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag

I have an early 4S. It is a fabulous driving car, very fast, and attracts attention. Under optimum conditions, it is a game-changing vehicle. If you spend $100K+ on a Taycan 4S, you have arguably the world's best vehicle of its type. The 4S all wheel drive system is great, too. (See note on winter tires below.)

However, conditions are rarely optimal. Taycans are the Porsche of electric cars, but all electric cars take a long time to charge. You are dependent on the charging network. The EA network doesn't work really well, and is thin; Home charging can take days (meaning multiple 24-hour periods) if you do not spend $1000 or so on an electrician-installed home 240V 30W charger. Plan on that (I am still trying to get it done.)

I don't have 12V battery issues. I have the following issues:
--the apps, in general, do not work for charging at EA places. Eventually, if you use at least two and are prepared to call customer service and wait, they will probably work. As I posted before, you will need to find emergency places to go to get charged when the regular network is not working, or you are just too busy or have driven or it is cold.
--They often ship with summer tires. Surprise! Get ready to buy a second set if you ever drive in winter weather, or leave it home.
--your range in cold weather drops significantly.
--don't forget what I said about charging: Days--not hours--if you don't have a DC charger nearby that works.
--for reasons that are inexplicable, I have to enter the "code" usually twice every time I start it up.

Good luck. Every week I go through "this is a great car" and then "I can't believe I have to keep doing this just to keep it charged."

PLA

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
What was the issue with 12V that takes 2+ months to solve? o_O

Well at this point in time i would not recommend 2020 to anybody. My car is in service for 12V and will not be done for 2+ months. The car rattles and software is horrible.
I can live with all of that though. What is really upsetting me is the fact that Porsche cant not service these cars.

Satish141

First Name
Satish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335D
Country flag
Take the rattles with a grain on salt. The Taycan build quality is exceptional.

Every car being sold today has some cars with rattles, it's a byproduct of the factory process. There are always going to be some percentage that slip through even the best facilities.

You can go to literally any car forum and find pages and pages of build quality complaints.

Rattles/build quality is 100% nothing to be concerned about with the Taycan. Even if you have a rattle, it's something that can be easily corrected under warranty; almost always just loose trim or faulty speakers.
what about the bigger issues some owners are reporting like heating failures, sudden loss of power etc?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
what about the bigger issues some owners are reporting like heating failures, sudden loss of power etc?
These issues have been addressed through recalls as you would expect. There is a ton of great info about these issues and their fixes on this forum if you search for it.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a 2020 4S built in June 2020. 28K miles. I had one heater valve replaced on warranty ( no heat from front passenger side ). I've had to replace two sets of 19" all season front tires and one set of 19" all season rear tires. The 2020 didn't come with plug and charge capability although it can be retrofitted for about $5K. I charge at home with a Juice Box plug in charger.
Sponsored