2021 Taycan Bose System - How to Play High Rez Audio from SD Card?

Mark3575

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan, '19 Cayenne, '99 911, '98 911
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Bose system in the 2021 Taycan has an SD card slot for High Rez music? My 2019 Cayenne Bose system allows me to play High Rez FLAC music files from an SD card or USB, but I can't find any SD card slots on the Taycan. Also, I noticed I have two USB C ports in the center console, but neither seems to activate the "USB" audio source in the PCM if I plug in a USB card with audio files. The PCM display says, "USB not available." Has anyone figured this out? Thanks.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I have no issues playing music via flash drives in the console USB port. FLAC file type may not be supported.

OP
OP
Mark3575

Mark3575

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have no issues playing music via flash drives in the console USB port. FLAC file type may not be supported.
What types of music files are you playing? Thanks.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

OP
OP
Mark3575

Mark3575

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The manual says the BOSE system accepts SD cards up to 128 GB capacity; FLAC files up to 48 kHz sampling rate; does not specify 16-bit or 24-bit media files. I tried both 16-bit 44.1 kHz and 24-bit 44.1 kHz FLAC files and the car does not even offer me the option to select USB as a music source even though I moved "USB" to the top of the options under the "sort music sources" option... Looks like I need to ask when I take the car to the dealership for the Taycan recall notice. Thanks for the replies.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Are you using a USB-C stick, or an A to C adapter? If you are using an adapter, try flipping around things.

amazing

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 540i, '20 Merc Sprinter 4x4, 21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Recently Apple Music announced lossless content on their platform. I've downloaded some lossless tracks, however it seems like wireless CarPlay experiences buffer under run trying to stream it over Wifi. But if I used a wired connection to the phone the files will play without buffering. I haven't tried with a USB stick but if you already have the FLAC files I think you could use an app like VOX or Qobuz. Load your FLAC files in one of those apps and then play over wired connection via your phone.

OP
OP
Mark3575

Mark3575

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
O.k. took my Taycan in for the "Loss of Power" recall & software update which went fine.

While I was there I asked if they could figure out why my USB C/SD card will not play music files when plugged into the center console USB-C ports. After they looked into the issue, the invoice write-up says "PCM not designed to recognize and store external hard drives. USB-C ports are for connecting external devices. Charging, CarPlay, etc. PCM working as designed. No repair at this time." So I purchased a new USB-C to SD card "FOB", plugged it in and my FLAC music files play just fine through the PCM... (both 16-bit 44.1 kHz and 24-bit 44.1 kHz FLAC files play in the Taycan BOSE system.)

I sent this back in my email customer survey reply, "I was able to get my SD card working to play FLAC high-resolution music files, and I was able to get the PCM to list the USB ports as a music source. I just swapped my USB-C SD card reader to a new SD card reader and it worked right away. Also, on page 285 of the 2021 Taycan owner's manual, it does say SD/SDHC/SDSX (up to 128 GB), and hard drives are supported for media files. Hopefully this info is helpful for your team and future customer questions."
Sponsored

Last edited: