Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Spoke to my dealer about this today and in summary:

Single phase - allows up to 11Kw charging
Three phase - supports 22Kw charging (and above I presume)

Unless you have a mansion, or something like a swimming pool in your house, then you're more than likely not going to have a single phase system. Cost to upgrade to a 3 phase system could be £2-20k depending on if you need to rip your road/street up.

Andersen A2 Chargers can either be 7Kw or 22Kw installations. See pricing difference here.
You standard Porsche mobile connect charger utilised through a standard household plug is about 3Kw IIRC. That's why they recommend Andersen chargers.

Baring in mind if you have a 93Kw car charging 3Kw an hour, and you're on 0% charge (unlikely), then it will take about 31 hours to fully charge!

He also said the Porsche UK are so far behind in rolling releases out, that all dealers are none-the-wiser on when the 22Kw option will be installed within the MY21 models. Will be a paid hardware upgrade to the 11Kw.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
Spoke to my dealer about this today and in summary:

Single phase - allows up to 11Kw charging
Three phase - supports 22Kw charging (and above I presume)

Unless you have a mansion, or something like a swimming pool in your house, then you're more than likely not going to have a 3 phase system. Cost to upgrade to a 3 phase system could be £2-20k depending on if you need to rip your road/street up.

Andersen A2 Chargers can either be 7Kw or 22Kw installations. See pricing difference here.
You standard Porsche mobile connect charger utilised through a standard household plug is about 3Kw IIRC. That's why they recommend Andersen chargers.

Baring in mind if you have a 93Kw car charging 3Kw an hour, and you're on 0% charge (unlikely), then it will take about 31 hours to fully charge!

He also said the Porsche UK are so far behind in rolling releases out, that all dealers are none-the-wiser on when the 22Kw option will be installed within the MY21 models. Will be a paid hardware upgrade to the 11Kw.
Thanks. I have 3 phase as it’s an industrial unit. Good to hear hopefully it can be an upgrade.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Thanks. I have 3 phase as it’s an industrial unit. Good to hear hopefully it can be an upgrade.
Sorry, when I say a paid upgrade, I mean for MY21 models only. It's not a upgradable charger, it's the hardware built into the car itself

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with everyone who says this is a non-issue for overnight charging. More interesting is the idea that to take advantage of higher charging power your home will have to be upgraded to 3 phase power - I didn't know that but it makes sense.

I'd like to suggest that folks who have not purchased the Taycan yet seriously consider a 3 year lease. The technology will look different in 3 years (even better batteries), and with a car this new there is a strong likelihood you'll want to upgrade to the 2023 MY vehicle anyway. IMHO

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Guys, In the UK in your typical house your supply will be single phase. The hydro fit a 100 Amp fuse, go look in the cupboard. The 100 Amp needs to supply all your lighting, sockets, water cylinder, hot tub etc. For 7.2kw charging you need 32 Amps of that 100! I have not heard of any single phase installations providing more that 7.2kw. I’d love to hear different but I dint think it is possible.

OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
I agree with everyone who says this is a non-issue for overnight charging. More interesting is the idea that to take advantage of higher charging power your home will have to be upgraded to 3 phase power - I didn't know that but it makes sense.

I'd like to suggest that folks who have not purchased the Taycan yet seriously consider a 3 year lease. The technology will look different in 3 years (even better batteries), and with a car this new there is a strong likelihood you'll want to upgrade to the 2023 MY vehicle anyway. IMHO
I totally agree but a s company owner it currently makes sense to purchase outright and get all the tax benefits. I agree also with 11kw for night-time charging but the 22kw is so useful for during the day, especially on a car with relatively short range.

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
Guys, In the UK in your typical house your supply will be single phase. The hydro fit a 100 Amp fuse, go look in the cupboard. The 100 Amp needs to supply all your lighting, sockets, water cylinder, hot tub etc. For 7.2kw charging you need 32 Amps of that 100! I have not heard of any single phase installations providing more that 7.2kw. I’d love to hear different but I dint think it is possible.
This is correct. Andersen told me that to have anything more they needed a 3 phase supply. Even 11kw requires 3 phase. Also worth pointing out that the power company wanted justification for the 100 amp fuse. Andersen asked me to provide a list of power hungry electrical devices so they could calculate requirements and complete forms to provide to the power company. This process took a fair old amount of time and a site survey. However, fitting the fuse took about 5 minutes.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have 3 phase 380V 30A, gives me 34.2kW, installed. The charger can only take 22kW, but the car can only load with 11.2kW

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
honestly I’m tired of AC charging limits and this or that and I can charge this fast here , or that fast there - my charging hardware can do 11 kW, but my car can do 22, or my car can do 7.2 kW but my charging hardware can do 22 kW - and it’s confusing to the user - and it’s all AC/DC conversaion anyways - all batteries are DC - so there is this conversion…

now most modern EV’s come with fast on board DC charging support - the Taycan can do up to 270 kW - so this 11 kw vs. 22 kw limit conversation is simply stupid - the bloody car can do upto 150 kW with 400 volts or upto 270 kW with 800 volts…

now I know residential really can’t support it - but stay with me here...

we are finally starting to get a good standard for fast DC charging in europe and north america…

what we need are good high quality “RESIDENTIAL” fast DC chargers - while you’d be limited by what your home could handle (3 kW, 7.2 kW, 11 kW or 22 kW) you would not longer be limited by what AC charger Porsche put in the car…

we need a good and affordable residential DC Faster charger and we’d be done

in the US the Chevy Bolt can fast DC charge at up to 55 kW - but only 7.2 via AC - I have an 80 amp EV charger (100 amp breaker) that can do 19.2 kW, but my bolt only does 7.2 when plugged into it

I have a Taycan that can charge at 11 kW - but my charger can do nearly 20 kW

if I could install an affordable DC Fast charger on my existing 100 amp circuit it should be able to do at least 20 kW on my existing 100 amp AC circuit - and both my Taycan and my Bolt could charge at 20 kW…it would be sooo much better than keeping track of all this crap.

just my $0.02

Last edited:

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
honestly I’m tired of AC charging limits and this or that and I can charge this fast here , or that fast there - my charging hardware can do 11 kW, but my car can do 22, or my car can do 7.2 kW but my charging hardware can do 22 kW - and it’s confusing to the user - and it’s all AC/DC conversaion anyways - all batteries are DC - so there is this conversion…

now most modern EV’s come with fast on board DC charging support - the Taycan can do up to 270 kW - so this 11 kw vs. 22 kw limit conversation is simply stupid - the bloody car can do upto 150 kW with 400 volts or upto 270 kW with 800 volts…

no I know residential really can’t support it - but stay with me here...

we are finally starting to get a good standard for fast DC charging in europe and north america…

what we need are good high quality “RESIDENTIAL” fast DC chargers - while you’d be limited by what your home could handle (3 kW, 7.2 kW, 11 kW or 22 kW) you would not longer be limited by what AC charger Porsche put in the car…

in the US the Chevy Bolt can fast DC charge at up to 55 kW - but only 7.2 via AC - I have an 80 amp EV charger (100 amp breaker) that can do 19.2 kW, but my bolt only does 7.2 when plugged into it

if I could install an affordable DC Fast charger on my existing 100 amp circuit it should be able to do at least 20 kW on my existing 100 amp AC circuit - and both my Taycan and my Bolt could charge at 20 kW…it would be sooo much better than keeping track of all this crap.

just my $0.02
This might help answer this to at least an extent..

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/downloads-view-reciteme/29134

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
@JamieG - the Porsche charger is actually better than the Anderson charger for 3 phase as it can charge at 11kw as it’s currently mandatory with the car and you get higher charge rate than the base Anderson

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have 3 phase 380V 30A, gives me 34.2kW, installed. The charger can only take 22kW, but the car can only load with 11.2kW
With the figures You have quoted there is some mistake I available power. But it doesn’t matter since the car limits charge to 11 kW.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

no I know residential really can’t support it - but stay with me here...

just my $0.02
You can install a DC charger at home! But is it worth it?

Porsche Taycan 22KW charging HTB1sAOkcA5E3KVjSZFC762uzXXaW

My car is parked over night for many hours and with 11.2 kW it needs almost never more than 5 hours to fill up...

I do agree, that there could be a market for home chargers, which suck the most out of the supply side and convert it to the best DC shape the car can take. Starting price: 15k...