A word of caution about speed...

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
It was bound to happen; got pulled over for speeding and am awaiting a court decision on the length of my driving ban. My 27kmh speeding over (18mph) on a 80kmh road in the mountains (50mph) will probably net me 1 to 2 months off the road. Switzerland is very strict.

I am not contesting. I was second in line behind a car following a trailer that was driving at 30kmh for what was nearly 20 minutes. Then came a straight piece of road with the ability to overtake; the car ahead of me went, and then I followed. Had to punch it as the overtaking zone was running out. The guy with the trailer we were overtaking made things worse by accelerating in the downhill straight. Cops were waiting for me at the bottom of the hill with their laser radar.

I am usually religious not exceeding the speed limit by more than 10% but the effortless power in the Taycan, the silence and the lack of gears (both things that indicate speed increase) are mostly absent in the Taycan. Just a second off the dashboard and I have no idea how fast I am going. In my previous ICE cars my brain could always estimate the speed based on noise and gear changes alone.

Been driving for 25 years and this is the first time I get a speeding fine but I don't think this is a coincidence and I think it is bound to happen with a fast electric car, more than with any ICE car. Let my painful lesson be also of value for other Taycan owners.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Ai, what is the damage in €?
I haven't received the fine yet, which will come with the court decision. Had a look online and am expecting a CHF 600 fine + CHF 500-600 in court fees.

Just 5 more kmh and I was immediately in the fine proportional to annual income. The minimum fine is 20 working days, so roughly 8% of your annual income. That could have been much more painful...

paulbroere

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.paulbroere.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo, BMW Z4M Roadster
Country flag
Speeding in the Netherlands is expensice, but Swiss is one of the worst countries to get caught speeding..

Especially nasty because you weren’t speeding continuesly and just overtaking. interested in how much this is gonna cost you. months of no driving is even worse.. i feel for you!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
so, 107 km/h on a 80 road…
You would get a ticket for EUR 500 (250 if paid in 8 days) and three points to your record.
When one collects 16 points, driving licence is lost.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wow, that is strict to get suspension for only 18MPH over. I completely agree that the lack of engine sound makes you less aware of your speed. I sure hate it when cops waiting at the bottom of the hill to catch you speeding. Are radar/laser detectors legal to use there?

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Wow, that is strict to get suspension for only 18MPH over. I completely agree that the lack of engine sound makes you less aware of your speed. I sure hate it when cops waiting at the bottom of the hill to catch you speeding. Are radar/laser detectors legal to use there?
I think having a radar/laser detector is a felony here, as is having a database of speed cameras or signalling oncoming drivers by flashing your lights. Jail time is at the discretion of the judge (usually if you are a repeat offender) but minimum working days fine are guaranteed. The minimum is ~8% of your annual income...

So do not under any circumstances bring a radar or laser detector in Switzerland...

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
Got pulled doing 193kph on French motorway (130 limit) years ago so 63 over and only got 3 months suspension (reduced to 2 at the tribunal, where I didn’t bother showing up) and from memory about 600€ fine. I was then more cautious in subsequent years as they could seize the car if caught again.

In Switzerland I’ve always religiously observed the limit! Feeling your pain for such a small, coincidental excess but the silver lining is you didn’t get into the crazy income-related bracket 😵💫

Lazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One of the perks of living in the land of "freedumbs" is that these tickets often end with a slap on the wrist or the issuing cop not even showing up to court

When I visit Switzerland again I'll be sure to leave my regular driving habits at home

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Harsh, I’m not even sure we have police in Austin TX anymore. Not policing traffic speeds anyway.

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
What Lazy and Hirschaj said.
Very low enforcement in KY and US generally - in my experience, it tends to be in "pockets" only.
I have received over 10 tickets in the past 15 years and all have been in Europe or Asia

Jaser

First Name
Jaser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi!
I‘ve been watching this forum since months (and loving it 😉), while I’m waiting for my Taycan to arrive and until then with probably not much to contribute 🙈

Living in a neighboring country though, allow me to add that in Austria it is forbidden for a driver to increase his/her speed while being overtaken because of the hazard it creates.
If you had to increase your speed because of that, then (depending on the exact circumstances) you would be able to argue, that you had no choice and were forced to act correspondingly to save the situation.
Maybe this helps you too? ☺

All the best!

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Living in a neighboring country though, allow me to add that in Austria it is forbidden for a driver to increase his/her speed while being overtaken because of the hazard it creates.
Oh that's a lovely law!

I came up behind a Tesla on the motorway the other day. He was in the far left lane (fast lane) and there were three open lanes to his right. I flashed my lights for him to move, but he just stayed and didn't change speed. So I just moved right to pass him. He then put his foot down hard to try to stop me. I am like a small child, so I put my foot down hard also and obviously left him behind.

It amused me that his silly game didn't work with a Taycan. Hopefully he will drive better, but probably not.

Last edited: