daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the 4S is a teaser product - and if you equip it with all the standard stuff on a turbo as you’ve learned the difference is much smaller...and a lot of stuff on the Turbo I think are options you want.

me I could not bring my weak ass pathettic self to spend 3x $$$ on a vehicle that was slower 0-60 than my existing DD Model 3 performance - the Turbo is the sweet spot in in the line IMHO

you won‘t regret the turbo.
Sponsored

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
the 4S is a teaser product - and if you equip it with all the standard stuff on a turbo as you’ve learned the difference is much smaller...and a lot of stuff on the Turbo I think are options you want.

me I could not bring my weak ass pathettic self to spend 3x $$$ on a vehicle that was slower 0-60 than my existing DD Model 3 performance - the Turbo is the sweet spot in in the line IMHO

you won‘t regret the turbo.
Agreed but like for like my builds were $30K apart. That was enough for me to “settle” with the 4S and its paltry 0-60 speed.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I considered all 3. 4s I quickly wrote off. Then I realised the TS only has the extra power for 2.5 seconds at a time over the T. Sweet spot is the T. Then considering the saving I decided a high spec Turbo would be better for me. Although if money didn’t matter TS all the way.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Well... it all comes down to your budget and how much you are willing to spend in order to get a bit faster acceleration and some minor front/rear styling differences. In my case the difference between my ordered 4S+ and similar Turbo was 45k $, so that was simply too much for me to justify.

Also, with PSCB, RWS, PTV+ and other performance oriented options, you get exactly the same cornering/breaking performance as in a Turbo, only slightly less acceleration.

And the last thing that convinced me that the 4S+ was the one to go for is, that the listed 0-100 km/t in 4.0 sec has shown to be very conservative. Real world tests show that 3.7 sec times can easily be achieved. Still slower than the Turbo, but for me as an daily driver, it is still plenty fast :)

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The gap was larger for me and it was even more time...for me the 4S and significantly less money (and sooner delivery) made my decision.
Are you happy with the performance of the 4S?

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Are you happy with the performance of the 4S?
Yes. Huge upgrade from my BMW. It’s great from standstill and highway acceleration. Very pleased. Could it be more? Sure, why not, hard to ever say no to more, but it’s far more than I’ve ever had and let’s face it far more than mostly city driving will allow...so yes

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
My process was different. After PDCC, PTV+, RWS, Sport+, PCCB, Night Vision, Carmine Red, Burmester, Carbon Fiber Wheels, Inno Drive, and Two-Tone OLEA leather, why would you not buy a Turbo S?

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
Depends on what’s most important to you vs your disposable income. I went 4S very well equipped for $145. It will look just like the Turbo except the small difference in front spoiler and go about .5 secs slower 0-60. But saved me $20-30K. What’s more important to you?

EDIT: the only variable no one knows about yet is resale - I know my 4S will depreciate faster due to the features costs not holding value - that’s $40K of the price. Perhaps the Turbo with higher base cost and fewer added features depreciates slower. But this only matters in the first 2 years. We’re likely all in the same boat 3 years out.
Yes, but no. I'm not so sure that's true. Porsche is leasing 4s at a considerably higher residual than the Turbo/s. I have found in the past that higher priced versions depreciate at a much higher rate than the base models. People that buy the high bracket cars don't want used, so on the second hand market the base model shines, compared to original msrp.
That said, I still love my Turbo! :)

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
I had configured a 4S to custom order. I hadn’t considered a turbo until I started looking at existing inventory and ended up with a turbo. I’m happy.
Same. Got a Turbo before my 4s arrived.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Yes, but no. I'm not so sure that's true. Porsche is leasing 4s at a considerably higher residual than the Turbo/s. I have found in the past that higher priced versions depreciate at a much higher rate than the base models. People that buy the high bracket cars don't want used, so on the second hand market the base model shines, compared to original msrp.
That said, I still love my Turbo! :)
Turbo S 911s hold their resale value much better than 911s. Our four-year old GT4 sold for its original base price (14,000 miles, perfect, $27K in options).

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I've had my 4S since April.
This week I'll be trading it for a Turbo.

Love the 4S, nothing wrong, it's certainly "enough".... but still not enough for me - you know? Couldn't shake the feeling that I want more. Is it work the extra money? Probably not. Is it worth the extra smile...? I know so.

"Wife just about killed me" - yeah there was a discussion here as well... ;)

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I had originally spec'd a Turbo build for $198,000. When the 4S came out, I spec'd that, and it came to $166,000, a difference of $32,000.

I lease my cars and never keep them more than 2 years. While the difference was "only" $32,000 for basically the exact same car, minus the .8 second, the residual value is so much less on the Turbo that on a two year lease, the payment was $1,000 more a month.

I remember in my younger years, I was so excited about getting my Aston Martin Vanquish S sooner rather than later, I had it flown in on a 747 overnight, the day it completed production. That was all a lot of fun, but I am past all of that stuff now.

I am loving my 4S and, for me, it is fast enough, although I can surely understand why others may choose differently. We all do crazy things with our cars, some more rational than others.

Porsche Taycan Accidentally upsold myself! IMG_1236
Porsche Taycan Accidentally upsold myself! IMG_1252
Porsche Taycan Accidentally upsold myself! IMG_1280

Last edited:

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
I was very happy with my 4S and it is pretty much the fasted thing on the road near me. However, I did the Porsche experience day last week and there happened to be a TS on the track at the same time as me whilst we were using launch control with rapid stops. Happy to say I now want the extra power of the T or TS.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Same as many above, the extra 35k CHF over an equivalently specced 4S made a Turbo just not worth the extra to me. I think it will be just fine for everything I want it to do.

I had this same kind of dilemma buying my latest motorbike and went for the power option - a Fireblade with 194hp vs maybe something like a Hypemotard with 114hp. The reality is that it's impossible to use all the power except under very specific circumstances, and even then its hard for my brain to keep up with the acceleration. The bike handles amazingly and I love it, but it's too fast for Swiss roads.

Pretty sure I would find the same thing with a Turbo S.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I had originally spec'd a Turbo build for $198,000. When the 4S came out, I spec'd that, and it came to $166,000, a difference of $32,000.

I lease my cars and never keep them more than 2 years. While the difference was "only" $32,000 for basically the exact same car, minus the .8 second, the residual value is so much less on the Turbo that on a two year lease, the payment was $1,000 more a month.

I remember in my younger years, I was so excited about getting my Aston Martin Vanquish S sooner rather than later, I had it flown in on a 747 overnight, the day it completed production. That was all a lot of fun, but I am past all of that stuff now.

I am loving my 4S and, for me, it is fast enough, although I can surely understand why others may choose differently. We all do crazy things with our cars, some more rational than others.

IMG_1236.jpeg
IMG_1252.jpeg
IMG_1280.jpeg
Bloody hell, I thought I was excessive! Lol. Well done pal.