Air Suspension: Height vs. Drag?

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
During the week when I drive casually, I tend to leave the chassis in Normal and letting the car lower itself into the "lowered" setting when going above "x" speed (I forgot heh). If range mode puts the car into "low" to further reduce drag, at what point does putting the car into "low" manually on the freeway become advantageous in reducing drag? I know the car will put itself into "low" when going above a speed that could send your car to the impound (in the U.S). For example, 10min in lowered vs 10min low? Or will you only start to reap range benefits in low height with longer trips?
Sponsored

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
from "standard" mine has only gone to "lowered", next time I'm going 100 I'll have to see if it goes to "low"

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
During the week when I drive casually, I tend to leave the chassis in Normal and letting the car lower itself into the "lowered" setting when going above "x" speed (I forgot heh). If range mode puts the car into "low" to further reduce drag, at what point does putting the car into "low" manually on the freeway become advantageous in reducing drag? I know the car will put itself into "low" when going above a speed that could send your car to the impound (in the U.S). For example, 10min in lowered vs 10min low? Or will you only start to reap range benefits in low height with longer trips?
Suggest to let the car decide when to lower the car.

Range gains won't be massive IMHO given estimated SOC at destination arrival when using each of the drive modes before turning a wheel.

Too many variables at play all of which can impact range. Primary ones being speed, ambient temp, weather and ability to coast / recup on route.

Height adjustment will contribute something to the overall outcome.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Your driving style and road/traffic conditions will have a much bigger impact on power usage than any drag reduction at a slightly lower height.
Nice to have since it is possible with air suspension, and the ”right” adjustment will be made by Porsche automatically, but nothing to be extra excited about IMHO.