bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
My Taycan is about 5 months old. In the last couple of weeks Ive had 4 instances of the alarm activating when it shouldn't. Every time its been as I approach the car, usually when parked at home and walking out of my garage towards the car outside. Every time I've been about 3 metres from the car as I approach when its gone off.

Has anyone else seen this? Its like it activates when the key comes in to range and comfort unlock is setting the alarm off instead of unlocking the car!
Sponsored

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
I have had this as well! And then one day it stopped doing this and has not happened since. Never knew the cause. I imagine that will happen for you as well.

OP
OP
bn8959

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Im pretty sure Porsche wont find anything wrong - as usual! I might ask them to check. I had a mysterious case of a disappearing locking wheel bolt (no obvious damage), so I need to go and pick up the replacement next week, so might ask them to check for any logged issue.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Happens to me a lot in close quarters when the car projects its path and thinks that it will crash, *if* you don't turn the wheel. I just ignore it and get on with my day 😂 in fairness, the Taycan one is a lot less sensitive than the Volvo one and at least it doesn't slam on the brakes like the Volvo has a fun tendency to do!
???
Did you post in the wrong thread?

cyiril4j

First Name
Cyril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT
Country flag
Do you have anything plugged in the ODB port?
I've had such issues sometimes with a Bouncie plugged in, which seem to go away when I unplugged.

OP
OP
bn8959

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Ah! Very interesting!

yes I do.

@featherless this did actually start around the same time I started with the OBD beta pool on Electric Side Car.

Could it be that Electric side car on my phone is trying to connect to the OBD interface as I approach and it’s managing to connect before comfort access unlocks the car, and therefore triggering the alarm?

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
Oh! That's fascinating, and entirely possible! Do you leave the OBD interface plugged in and turned on at all times?

It's generally not recommended to leave the generic scanners plugged in and turned on all the time for a variety of reasons (one being that it can drain your 12V battery, the other being that anyone can connect to it at any time). I bought an OBD cable with a switch for this exact reason (amazon link).

If you're able to confirm that having it plugged in is the cause then I'll make sure to add more emphasis in Electric Sidecar around not leaving the scanners plugged in when you're not in your car.

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
> Could it be that Electric side car on my phone is trying to connect to the OBD interface as I approach and it’s managing to connect before comfort access unlocks the car, and therefore triggering the alarm?

When your iPhone rediscovers a BTLE accessory it had previously connected to, then Electric Sidecar will get notified instantly and wake up + reconnect to the accessory.

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
I just confirmed this is the case yes! After about two minutes of the car being locked, I was able to get a connection to the scanner to cause the alarm to go off.

This is actually a really great feature of the car, which means that it will be hard for somebody to interface with the car if you forget to turn the scanner off.

I will see if there is a way for me to connect to the scanner in a softer sense without it tripping the alarm, and instead sending a push notification to your phone to remind you that your scanner is still on.

OP
OP
bn8959

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have been leaving it in. It doesn’t have an on/off switch. Although I’ve never been able to connect to it when the ignition is on. Maybe it’s not Electric Side car, but simply the dongles presence when the car ‘wakes up’ via comfort access.

OP
OP
bn8959

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I just confirmed this is the case yes! After about two minutes of the car being locked, I was able to get a connection to the scanner to cause the alarm to go off.

This is actually a really great feature of the car, which means that it will be hard for somebody to interface with the car if you forget to turn the scanner off.

I will see if there is a way for me to connect to the scanner in a softer sense without it tripping the alarm, and instead sending a push notification to your phone to remind you that your scanner is still on.
Our messages crossed. But yes! Agreed. Very interesting and also a very good feature of the car to activate the alarm.

I even got a call from Vodafone response.

it must still be ‘alive’ in some way. Car scanner would never see it without ignition on, but that’s maybe simply how BLE has been implemented in that app?
Sponsored