Alignment price frustration

jplouis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4, 2022 Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Need tires and an alignment on my Cross Truismo. Last week dealer quoted me $499 for the alignment plus tires. Used the link from their site to the PCNA Tire Store that generated a quote that said $250 for the alignment. Dealer asked me where I got the quote as they charge $599 for an alignment and were apparently unaware of their link to the tire site. Their sister dealership quoted $499 for an alignment. When I asked them why so many different prices they stated that prices are different between steel and air suspension alignments and might have been some specials (none have been posted on their site in the last week).

Really frustrating getting a straight answer from the dealership. Meanwhile I'm waiting for an alignment price from an independent shop.
Sponsored

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I get my Taycan aligned at an independent wheel & tire shop. $150. I have had issues with my dealer doing an alignment in the past.

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
And if you need a toe alignment, they remove the front bumper, reinstall it, and recalibrate all the sensors for $150?…
Actually I believe front toe is all they can do without removing the bumper. Because of the way the suspension is designed the only way to adjust camber is to shift the entire front axle assembly relative to the frame which requires the bumper to be removed to access the bolts. A pretty poor design if you ask me. I wonder how long it will be before someone develops a replacement control arms with adjustments?

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They adjust the toe from below. I have three alignments ( each time I buy tires ) no bumper removal.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
They adjust the toe from below. I have three alignments ( each time I buy tires ) no bumper removal.
Strange that Porsche dealers can’t do a full alignment without removal of the bumper, but your $150 shop can. Weird.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe it is a manifestation of the Porsche tax.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually I believe front toe is all they can do without removing the bumper. Because of the way the suspension is designed the only way to adjust camber is to shift the entire front axle assembly relative to the frame which requires the bumper to be removed to access the bolts. A pretty poor design if you ask me. I wonder how long it will be before someone develops a replacement control arms with adjustments?
You are correct. Evidently, it’s the camber adjustment that requires the front bumper to be removed and the radiators to be partially removed.

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
For any interested, I got my alignment/new tires done a while back and watched the entire alignment process as there were windows from the waiting area peering into the garage work area. They never touched my front bumper. Definitely going to be the last time I pay the dealer $600 for a $150 job.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For any interested, I got my alignment/new tires done a while back and watched the entire alignment process as there were windows from the waiting area peering into the garage work area. They never touched my front bumper. Definitely going to be the last time I pay the dealer $600 for a $150 job.
That means that your front camber was in spec and didn’t need adjustment.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Going through this now. My service advisor said he was surprised at the price of the alignment. He said it's pretty labor intensive though which is why it costs so much.

He also mentioned with the front bumper they need to remove during alignment if you have the front camera (parking assist or cruise control/innodrive). I assume if your car isn't spec'd with those features, they won't need to do the front bumper. Aside from the front camber adjustments mentioned by others.

My total quoted price for new tires and alignment was $4K. At that price, I'm considering just changing out my wheels and tires completely and seeing if I can find a local wheels/tire shop to do it.

Curious if that voids the warranty though. Anyone know?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Going through this now. My service advisor said he was surprised at the price of the alignment. He said it's pretty labor intensive though which is why it costs so much.

He also mentioned with the front bumper they need to remove during alignment if you have the front camera (parking assist or cruise control/innodrive). I assume if your car isn't spec'd with those features, they won't need to do the front bumper. Aside from the front camber adjustments mentioned by others.

My total quoted price for new tires and alignment was $4K. At that price, I'm considering just changing out my wheels and tires completely and seeing if I can find a local wheels/tire shop to do it.

Curious if that voids the warranty though. Anyone know?
Why do you think your car needs an alignment?

OP
OP

jplouis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4, 2022 Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Mine has excessive inner tread wear on the front continentals. Don't know if the Conti's aren't very good or something off on the car.

For once I'm glad I don't have ACC (though I wish I did sometimes).

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Mine has excessive inner tread wear on the front continentals. Don't know if the Conti's aren't very good or something off on the car.

For once I'm glad I don't have ACC (though I wish I did sometimes).
That sucks. I've been watching my tires and there are no signs of uneven wear so I count myself lucky. There is a thread on here showing multiple other people have that inner tread wear issue.