Any advice for a first time driver?

KRTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Aside from the obvious no speeding, texting, alcohol, etc, could any experienced drivers kindly give me some advice to keep in mind to keep myself, my family and the car as safe as possible please?

This will be my first car and I have 0 driving experience, I'm getting my license within the next couple of months whilst my Taycan is being built, this is the build (RWD):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNWXS9B3

If there's anything in my build that I could leverage / learn more about beyond the basic descriptions given to be as safe as possible then that would be amazing.

I figured in terms of weather maybe it would be best for me to just avoid driving altogether if it snows, I remember walking around at the start of this year and seeing so many close calls and vehicles losing control.

Other than that I'm keen to learn about / keep in mind any nuances that may not be taught whilst I get my license; it's notoriously easy to get one over here...

Thank you very much for any and all advice.
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Wow. Awesome first car. Just be careful because it is so quick to accelerate. Not sure how you will adjust to that as a new driver on busy roads! Have fun though

Reactions: B61

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Congrats on your new Taycan. They are a dream to drive and you should have no problems whatsoever getting use to driving an electric car.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Aside from the obvious no speeding, texting, alcohol, etc, could any experienced drivers kindly give me some advice to keep in mind to keep myself, my family and the car as safe as possible please?

This will be my first car and I have 0 driving experience, I'm getting my license within the next couple of months whilst my Taycan is being built, this is the build (RWD):

If there's anything in my build that I could leverage / learn more about beyond the basic descriptions given to be as safe as possible then that would be amazing.

I figured in terms of weather maybe it would be best for me to just avoid driving altogether if it snows, I remember walking around at the start of this year and seeing so many close calls and vehicles losing control.

Other than that I'm keen to learn about / keep in mind any nuances that may not be taught whilst I get my license; it's notoriously easy to get one over here...

If safety is No 1 then not sure why you aren't opting for all wheel drive - 4S.

ACC also comes with additional features - pre-tensioning of seat belts as you drive off plus as per below (excl LCA)

Porsche Taycan Any advice for a first time driver? 1629443644131

Powerful car for a newly qualified driver.

What did you learn to drive in as this is a wide and long vehicle with less than perfect rear view out of the rear window?

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag

Assuming they offer it in your country, book on the Porsche Driving Experience as soon as you can (offered for free to new owners). They have tracks like an Ice Hill to simulate an ice covered slippery slope, a Kick Plate which sends the car into a spin so you can practice spin recovery, a handling circuit with straights to practice full on braking... and much more. You'll be a safer driver after a half day there.

OP
OP

KRTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Thank you for your responses! I've taken note of everything and will prepare as best as I can.

OP
OP

KRTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
As the resident expert on not being an expert, I would advise we hold a wager on whom writes off their Taycan first. I'm gonna bet on myself so I can't lose.
Why don't we bet instead on who can avoid any accidents for as long as possible? Positive twist!

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Already lots of good advice. Rent a Tesla or something if you can. Do they have Turo in SK ?

man. Hard to remember everything. Picking the most important…

vision. The car will follow your eyes naturally. It’s crucial to always be looking at where you WANT to go, not where you’re going.

tires. Most important part of a car. By far. This is what keeps you on the ground (in control). You have 4 patches about the size of a mobile phone. Those are all that keeps you in control and alive. Make sure you keep them in good condition. buy the best you can afford. make Sure they are suitable for your climate. High performance summer tires are bad in cold wet conditions.

Focus. Stay calm. Don’t drive angry, distracted or tired. Being extremely tired is basically the same danger as being slightly drunk. It’s way worse than you’d expect. Distracted breaks rule #1 (vision). Angry is bad. People make poor choices angry and this car has a lot of instant power. If you rage, it will rage with you. Until you hit something, probably very shortly thereafter

note how the most important parts of driving have basically nothing to do with skill and everything to do with judgment. A totally incompetent moron who drives calmly with excellent vision will do fine. The car is super easy control.
Sponsored