MattW77

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi, I’m just about to take delivery of a Taycan rwd.

This is both the first Porsche and first EV I’ve ever had.

it’s been specd with the battery plus, pano roof and some sport side skirts.

Apart from some mid range wheels that’s about it.

Can anyone give an opinion on what they are like to own as a day to day vehicle?

any negatives?

Any comments will be appreciated!

thanks
Sponsored

MrRothIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Incoming: Taycan
Country flag
Congrats- new owner here as well.

I will say reading all these threads will make you paranoid as hell, BUT you will be prepared to quickly diagnose and correct the small bugs that come up from time to time.

I love it so far- it will def have its bugs but I haven't owned a car that didn't yet and would expect it comes with the territory for a brand just getting into the EV space which is young as is.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I've had my Taycan RWD for about a month now. So far, so good. The only issue I've had is when Apple CarPlay disappeared for a day. Otherwise, knock on wood, all good. Its a joy to drive. And best of all, my wife loves driving it as well.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've had my RWD for 10K miles and 6 months - love driving it. PCM bugs are my only real complaints, and that does seem to be improving with time.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag

Can anyone give an opinion on what they are like to own as a day to day vehicle?

any negatives?

thanks
My RWD, which I have had for about 9 months, has been pretty much problem free (excepting the normal odd transient software issues). I may have been lucky or, perhaps, the "simplicity" of the RWD (less motors, etc) helps reduce problems. One thing to note (that is not unique to RWD): releasing the charge cord at public chargers can be a problem sometimes: do NOT depend on the button to release the cord. If you have a problem, then using the PCM | Charging | ... option to unlock has been highly dependable. Good luck!

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
Had my RWD for 4 months. Just 1000 trouble-free miles. Great to drive - it is fast without being rapid and is more of a long-legged tourer than short drive getabout. I had a 964 before and it's obviously very different, but still very much a Porsche. I have the bigger battery, pano roof, air suspension and 20" wheels and the ride is sublime.

Had just one issue with the PCM, which went away after locking and leaving it. Range at 100% is about 245 miles - this should get better as I use it and it gets warmer. I only charge to 85% unless going on a long journey. My cheap rate (@ 15p/kW) is between midnight and 7am - this puts in 50kW for about 140 miles, for £7.50 - about a third of the price of unleaded. You just have to get used to putting in £7-10 fuel at a time!

One further minor gripe is the lack of storage inside the car. The centre console is too dominated by teh cup holders. Even phone storage/charging hasn't been thought through.

But overall it is a great car and you won't regret getting one.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

any negatives?

thanks
As others have mentioned this forum can paint a less than positive picture for any Taycan (they all have had issues) but not all owners are represented on the forum so you can potentially take some solace from that.

As you will be getting a MY22 then the early gremlins impacting MY20 / MY21 cars which led to significant software updates will have been largely put to bed.

The one worrying fault now surfacing all too frequently (certainly in US) is the failure of the heater (should not happen in this day and age). Several have been reported in UK but not as many as far as I'm aware. This is not ideal for Winter time!

Getting a fault is one thing but getting it fixed is quite another given the ongoing supply chain and pandemic impacts. Dealers typically don't hold spares.

Day to day - doddle to live with. The one thing that might get you on edge is the range particularly at this time of year. Expect no more than 220 miles on a full charge and around 185 miles on the recommended 85% charge. In spring / summer the range will climb to a potential 250 - 270 miles. Consumption improves with miles added in the early part of ownership but just have the expectation that you won't always get the range you thought you would (or read about). Performance battery helps - adds about 20 miles or so - so spare a thought for those who didn't option it and have at best 180 miles in UK.

Let's be positive, it's a shiny new car so enjoy it and if you get stuck or have queries then this forum is generally a welcoming place with lots of knowledge readily available.

Enjoy it when it comes!

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
It's slow, but that was the reason I plumped for a stupidly specced RWD rather than a TS to help keep my licence, so far so good on that front.......

Doc_Rock

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RWD Taycan
Country flag
My RWD, which I have had for about 9 months, has been pretty much problem free (excepting the normal odd transient software issues). I may have been lucky or, perhaps, the "simplicity" of the RWD (less motors, etc) helps reduce problems. One thing to note (that is not unique to RWD): releasing the charge cord at public chargers can be a problem sometimes: do NOT depend on the button to release the cord. If you have a problem, then using the PCM | Charging | ... option to unlock has been highly dependable. Good luck!
Just to add, I just ran into this very issue for the first time yesterday (charge cable wouldn't release). I ended up calling Electrify America and even after a station reboot I was still locked in. He had me try a tick that works for the ID4 and that was to hit the unlock button on the remote 3 times.. Worked like a charm!

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
If the car is locked you cannot release the charging cable using the button, Ive had this happen a few times

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag

any negatives?

thanks
Congratulations!
I too have RWD since May with 21" Taycan Exclusive Wheels. Drive it every single day.
Only issue has been that lose my favourite radio channels every so many weeks. Agree with the folks in the forum that Porsche should do better with PCM.
Mechanically zero issues.
Range have been getting 250 miles on a single charge in cold weather. I will drive from London to Birmingham on Saturday for the football game which is scheduled for the evening & expect will have about 15-20% range left. Drive on long journeys in the Range mode.
During summer almost got up to 280 mile range!
Enjoy your new baby!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Had mine since Aug 2021......
Performance battery + / Pano roof / turbo aero wheels / air suspension and other stuff.

Absolutely love it. Puts a smile on my face every day. ?

Few software niggles that come and go......a it like a moody girlfriend who goes like the clappers, but sulks every so often.

A bit irritating sometimes - but a sublime ride more than makes up for it.

Would I buy the RWD again.
Absolutely 100%!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
4/21 order - 5/21 delivery of my RWD. Loving every mile! ?:cool:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

any negatives?

thanks
Out of interest, what was your existing car?
I think this has a major impact on peoples expectations.

There are people on here who may say the RWD is a bit slow, but they also have a Ferrari and a GT3 etc.

I came from a BMW M2 and real world the Taycan is every bit as fast (except round tighter bends).
But it also has instant torque, is quiet, smooth and with a sublime chassis.
All that with Porsche build quality too.

It is a big car, and it's heavy, but it hides this well. I do however notice the weight when hard braking or on tight bends.

OP
OP

MattW77

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Out of interest, what was your existing car?
I think this has a major impact on peoples expectations.

There are people on here who may say the RWD is a bit slow, but they also have a Ferrari and a GT3 etc.

I came from a BMW M2 and real world the Taycan is every bit as fast (except round tighter bends).
But it also has instant torque, is quiet, smooth and with a sublime chassis.
All that with Porsche build quality too.

It is a big car, and it's heavy, but it hides this well. I do however notice the weight when hard braking or on tight bends.
Currently driving a BMW 520d m sport.
Ive had it for 4-5 years.

I started my own business a couple of years ago and needed a car that was reliable so kept that and waited until the profits increased to buy a new car.
Sponsored