domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
Would like opinions from those that have operated a Taycan for a while. Specifically, if you could do it again would you still buy it? My Taycan will serve two purposes when and if I take delivery: it will be a sports car, and it will also be my daily driver for running errands, etc. My kids are gone so I’ll be solo in the car most of the time and with my wife every now and then. I think it will fulfill the sports car itch quite well. I traded in a 991.2 GTS (as well as a Tesla S) for the Taycan, and other than the noise factor of the GTS, I’m not worried about the Taycan satisfying my sports car itch.

But I am worried about the daily driver aspect. Software glitches including the 12v battery running down, wireless Apple Car Play but a promise, quirky a/c controls, marginal trunk size, buried PCM menus, ingress/egress for a tall person (B pillar in the way), the list goes on. For daily driving, creature comforts are important. I would hope that Porsche would fix s/w bugs and fine tune the PCM s/w, but if their response to the 12v battery draining down is any indicator, I don’t feel too warm and fuzzy about problems being addressed in a reasonable amount of time, or ever.

I'm inclined to take delivery and hope things are addressed, but then it’s a ton of cash that I’ll be paying. Thanks for your opinions!
I came out of the grocery store last night and as usual someone was next to it taking a picture and when I got close to him he said " this car gives me the chills it's so incredible looking". I have ZERO regrets on the car, I kind of figured the extra passenger monitor would be a waste of money and it is (in my opinion) but I really don't care. I am already approaching 5,000 miles because I can't stop driving the damn thing after work each night.
Sponsored

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,2020 Taycan rurbo, 2018 GT3 1997 911 C4S, 1996 911 TT, 2008 911 GT2,1989 Speedster, 1994 3.6
Country flag
I have absolutely no regrets at all.
Yes there are some issues but they are with the infotainment syster and not the car controls or drive ability. The range so far is way better than I anticipated and the batttery charging and the way the car keeps the charge are very good.
I for one am actually surprised how much I can fit in the trunk. So I do not Thank You Seouls have Andy concerns. For the two of us we could go on long trips with plenty of luggage. I made some photos of the suitcases the car swallowed without any problems and still left space for a dozen or more wine bottles.
The climate controls and menus are just a question of getting used to, but they are not as intuitive as the best in class, I agree. But they are by no means any disaster either.
I am also convinced that Porsche will sort out a lot of the initial teething issues with the infotainment. In the meantime I am just entertained by the way the car drives and it’s presence on the road!;):)
No regrets, an amazing first electric car winner out of the gate. Teething pains are expected for this technological tour de force.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for all of the comments guys, keep em coming as I think this thread is beneficial to a large audience. Here’s a pic of the ship my car is on, the Siem Confucius. I got the pic from a Halifax NS webcam video that captured the ship’s arrival there this morning. This was the first Atlantic crossing for the ship.

FEC743D5-4473-4465-96E2-BE146B88C99F.jpeg
My Turbo is a shipmate of yours and I literally can't wait till it's here

OP
OP
flickroll

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My Turbo is a shipmate of yours and I literally can't wait till it's here
Same here! I think the car is a go and I appreciate all of the feedback. The Confucius left Halifax last night and is due at Davisville 6 am Sunday morning. I think the car will beat the expected dealer arrival date of 7/10. Have Xpel, Ceramic, and window tint lined up for right after I take delivery.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
The two plugs you are showing look to be the same to me. Are you referring to other plugs which are different?

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
The two plugs you are showing look to be the same to me. Are you referring to other plugs which are different?
Although they look the same, they are slightly different. One is the 14-30 Taycan plug and the other is a 14-50 plug for the Panamera e-Hybrid that was mistakenly ordered for me when I ordered the 10-50 for my wife's 4S. See my post #30 response to wemct who couldn't have been more helpful in clarifying this for me.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Although they look the same, they are slightly different. One is the 14-30 Taycan plug and the other is a 14-50 plug for the Panamera e-Hybrid that was mistakenly ordered for me when I ordered the 10-50 for my wife's 4S. See my post #30 response to wemct who couldn't have been more helpful in clarifying this for me.
I thought one was just upside down, but now I see the differences. Weird.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am 30 days into ownership of my Turbo and couldn't be happier. There is no question this is a Porsche sports car. There is also no question that Porsche has to work on the PCM and software. Even the main screen - the fact that they didn't size the icons to all fit the display is just ludicrous to me. Tesla designed their car around the tech which is why they are leading on that front. But Porsche designed their tech around the car, which is why the Porsche EV is the superior overall driving experience. It will take some time for Porsche to get it right, but I am confident they will. OTA software updates should hopefully be able to fix most of the problems, missing features and other items that those on this forum have described.

To be clear, none of the quirks and required software updates take away from the pure enjoyment of driving this car. I have had 911s, MB AMGs, BMWs, etc. and nothing has compared to the Taycan. So absolutely no regrets purchasing the Taycan. Just wished I didn't take delivery during a pandemic so I could have more destinations to take this car to.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
the fact that they didn't size the icons to all fit the display is just ludicrous to me.
They expect to sell more software later, so by showing half a line of icons, that tells the user there's more stuff, so scroll. I like it better than the horizontal paged stuff that's on PCM 4.0

Spirited Young Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
At 6'6", I was very worried about this too, even held onto a fairly new A6, thinking it might remain the DD.

The A6 has not moved since having my 4S for a month and nearly 2,000 miles, and it may not move until my son gets his license in a couple years. But I would say that like many vehicles that sit this low, a reasonable amount of flexibility helps. Some passengers have struggled to get out of the seat because its so low, but they are not tall.

As for your other concerns, I haven't had the 12V battery issue (fortunately, as that is a big deal). The NAV looks so good, and works well enough that I stopped using CarPlay. If you can part with Waze, you will probably agree. AC doesn't bother me one bit. Voice commands help sometimes when a button in a menu is hard to find (like 'turn my fan off'). I do find the seat ventilation a little weak. Connect App needs major work. Be careful to ensure you have a couple weeks to work out any kinks before you need to rely on it for something important such as road trip.

But at the end of the day, I have zero regrets, outside of some choices on my spec.
When a car has so many options and you have to order without physically seeing or using the car, there will always be something you forget or wish you’d not spent money on as you discover it isn’t worth the money.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
When a car has so many options and you have to order without physically seeing or using the car, there will always be something you forget or wish you’d not spent money on as you discover it isn’t worth the money.
I added and deleted options several times based on things I learned here - just stalking!

docdav

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo v70
Country flag
2 days ago, i parked my 4s to go to the beach. The sun was hammering on the car, it was 30 deg celcius. I left the aircon on, only possible in this car without having the engine to run as well. Came back after 45 min and the car was chilled 22 deg celsius. Sooo nice to drive back again. I only spent 1% power

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
No regrets, the car is awesome.

OK, I take that back - I regret a little bit giving up the Innodrive when I picked my car off the lot instead of waiting until October for my custom build. But that is fully compensated by enjoying the ride the entire summer.

Still love the Tesla, love the Taycan even more.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
Unlike my Panamera Turbo, the Taycan does NOT have the ability to have the seat settings set to a key! ONLY to buttons 1 or 2 on the door. In other words, my wife prefers to leave the seat settings as they are and have less room with the steering wheel not going up and seats not going back as she exits and re-enters the car - rather than having to constantly pressing and holding button 1 to bring back her settings each and every time. This is a big regret!!
Sponsored