Anyone experience vampire drain? Battery drain when not in use

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
does anyone have issues with vampire drain?

vampire drain is when range is lost while the car is sitting unused.
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Unlike the Model S, which would lose about 10 miles of range each day, there seems to be zero vampire drain in the Taycan. The problem though is that when there is some system consuming power, it is coming from a relatively small 12V Li-Ion battery (same small battery set-up as Tesla but Tesla is using Lead-Acid AGM, not that it matters). When the drain on that 12V battery is sufficient, the HV battery wakes up to re-charge the 12V. However there is a limit on the number of times the HV battery is allowed to recharge the 12V in between vehicle uses. After this limit is exceeded, the 12V will no longer be re-charged and will eventually drain. I have no idea what that limit count might be or why it is designed this way (with what appears to be too low of a limit for some scenarios).

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I haven't driven the car for 8 weeks (lockdown). Wow, can't believe how much it would hurt to actually put that sentence down in writing! In that time, I have moved the car out of the garage twice (to move the ICE car in and charge its battery), and have, maybe once every 10 days, turned the car on for about 2 minutes to charge up the 12V battery. In that time, I've lost about 9% of the SoC on the HV battery. Bottom line, there is a little vampire drain, but it is absolutely negligible.