Pre-heating function will drain battery?

Dragonfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Quick question to forum members.

Finally took delivery today of the car. MY23 RWD. During delivery process my SA told me that he would not recommend using the pre-heating function on the Porsche app.

His reasoning was that it puts the car in an auxiliary mode and seriously drains battery. If you leave it on for too long the car will not start…

Is this true? Was planning on using the pre heat function a lot this winter because I live in New England and it would be nice to get into a warm car this winter after work…
Sponsored

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
News to me. I suppose you could drain the battery if you use it non stop but I imagine there is a point where it won't let you turn it on. 60 minutes of it on drains about 1% of my hv soc.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Classic SA who knows nothing about these cars feeling compelled to give "advice".

Yes it will use a bit of the battery, less than 1% in my experience. I usually turn it on as I leave my office so mostly ~15min of pre-heat/cool. Once the SOC is less than 20%, this function will be disabled.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Another thread that just goes to show sales assistants know absolute bollox all about the cars they are selling!

Its almost to the point where I sigh when I see a post with 'my sales assistant said.....' as I know its often going to be nonsense.

It's actually quite worrying, as these people spout bullshit with an air of authority that makes you believe they have absolute knowledge of what they are selling - when many of them know Jack.

You are far better off coming on here.

OP. When you switch the Preheat / cool on it starts a countdown for 60 mins (I have just done it now to show you) as long as you have enough soc (posts above).

After the hour it switches off, or you can end the session on the app, or it stops when you get in the car.

Typically uses 1 to 2% of battery in the full hour (depending on conditions) but generally you can get the job done in far less time.

Ps Make sure to tell your sales assistant this and ask them from misleading other customers with their lack of professionalism and poor performance at their job.

Porsche Taycan Pre-heating function will drain battery? Screenshot_20221204_062702_My Porsche

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Does the Taycan use shore power for preheating when plugged-in? All Teslas do that, so pre-heat while plugged-in at home actually saves battery.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Another thread that just goes to show sales assistants know absolute bollox all about the cars they are selling!
Porsche should demand that all dealers are reading this forum to learn and get some real,life experiences ;)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Finally took delivery today of the car. MY23 RWD. During delivery process my SA told me that he would not recommend using the pre-heating function on the Porsche app.

His reasoning was that it puts the car in an auxiliary mode and seriously drains battery. If you leave it on for too long the car will not start…

Is this true? Was planning on using the pre heat function a lot this winter because I live in New England and it would be nice to get into a warm car this winter after work…
There is an amazing amount of misinformation spread by SA and even Porsche corporate. I was in a Taycan owner clinic last month where a guy from corporate presented a slide deck. When he got to charging slides, explaining Level 1,2, and 3 charging, he decided to add his own outdated wisdom by saying “if you charge at Level 1 you will kill your 12V battery”. This might have been true with the very first Taycans due to bad software, but it’s been fixed long ago.

Sales and marketing spreading misinformation is not new, I’ve heard many salespeople make stuff up about the products they sell. Problem is not unique to Porsche.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Utter nonsense.

Max duration is 60 mins for each preheat/cool session.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
it uses “shore power” to preheat the car if plugged in and a timer set for charging and preheating before you leave. So you can have a warm car when leaving in the morning and from work if power is available and timer set

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
it uses “shore power” to preheat the car if plugged in and a timer set for charging and preheating before you leave. So you can have a warm car when leaving in the morning and from work if power is available and timer set
I think this is correct. When mine is plugged, has finished charging and I activate pre heating, the charging light goes green again which must indicate it is drawing power for the heating (or keeping the battery at the target level)
Sponsored