UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, carplay will handle all the calls & messages unless you turn it off in the PCM.
Ah. So even if my Bluetooth connection is shown as not connected, CarPlay still takes calls on the cellular network?
Sponsored

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,
Nice thread.
just wanted to show what I recently found:

carplay ai box
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BStpcY

It simulates the PCM a CarPlay Phone but runs an android OS. So instat of only having the App Apple let you use, you can also use streaming videos like YouTube or Netflix.

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Ah. So even if my Bluetooth connection is shown as not connected, CarPlay still takes calls on the cellular network?
Yes. The PCM becomes an extension of your phone through CarPlay. Text messages, WhatsApp messages and phone calls all work. Just some of the cars buttons won’t behave in the way you think they should. I am just working my way through what does and what doesn’t. The functionality will still be there but you may have to access it from the main PCM screen.

cjne

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021, Tesla Model S P100D 2019
Country flag
I just got my car and still trying to figure things out, new to Apple Carplay as well.
One odd thing is that the voice assistant (long press on wheel) sometimes brings up the Porsche assistant and other times it's Siri. Those times it brings up the Porsche assistant it can't for example create SMS or dial for me, probably because Carplay is connected so there's no Bluetooth.

Haven't managed to find any pattern for this behaviour yet..

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just got my car and still trying to figure things out, new to Apple Carplay as well.
One odd thing is that the voice assistant (long press on wheel) sometimes brings up the Porsche assistant and other times it's Siri. Those times it brings up the Porsche assistant it can't for example create SMS or dial for me, probably because Carplay is connected so there's no Bluetooth.

Sometimes it can take a few minutes to connect so maybe (long shot) it hasn’t initialised when you’re trying?
Occasionally it won’t connect at all so check the CarPlay symbol is displayed in the lower screen (just above the climate controls).
I’ll have a mess around with mine in the meantime to see if I can replicate.

cjne

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sometimes it can take a few minutes to connect so maybe (long shot) it hasn’t initialised when you’re trying?
Occasionally it won’t connect at all so check the CarPlay symbol is displayed in the lower screen (just above the climate controls).
I’ll have a mess around with mine in the meantime to see if I can replicate.
Yeah i need to do some more testing.
I believe it's consistently not working when it's not, no matter how long i wait.
The carplay icon is showing and apple music works fine though.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag

Normally it should be a matter of tap the voice icon (steering wheel) for Porsche PCM voice control, and long-press (hold for ~2 sec) to bring up Siri. If this isn’t working it could just a latency issue. Be aware that :

1- You can still use “Hey Siri” even when the car is in car play Mode. So if your phone is nearby and in “ear shot” perhaps try that, if you have that feature on (I think it starts using the phone mic, but then once it hears “hey Siri” should handoff to the car‘s mic/speaker)

2- Another option, if you have the CarPlay screen on the PCM visually, is you can hold down the menu button (the bottom left corner “home” button) on the CarPlay menu. Holding this down for a few moments should also activate Siri voice commands. (If you were not already aware)

Cheers!

cjne

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Normally it should be a matter of tap the voice icon (steering wheel) for Porsche PCM voice control, and long-press (hold for ~2 sec) to bring up Siri. If this isn’t working it could just a latency issue. Be aware that :

1- You can still use “Hey Siri” even when the car is in car play Mode. So if your phone is nearby and in “ear shot” perhaps try that, if you have that feature on (I think it starts using the phone mic, but then once it hears “hey Siri” should handoff to the car‘s mic/speaker)

2- Another option, if you have the CarPlay screen on the PCM visually, is you can hold down the menu button (the bottom left corner “home” button) on the CarPlay menu. Holding this down for a few moments should also activate Siri voice commands. (If you were not already aware)

Cheers!
Thank you, very helpful! I was nor aware of the home button trick, great workaround if the normal way doesn’t work.
Will experiment with how long I press as well, could be that.

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
Bit of a tangent but anyone know of a way to stop carplay connection from changing the media input by default?

Im usually tuned to the DAB but carplay takes over automatically.

I still want carplay connected - for messages etc - but dont want to have to manually change back to the radio every time i get in the car.

1st carplay car Ive owned so not sure if thats just how it is.

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bit of a tangent but anyone know of a way to stop carplay connection from changing the media input by default?

Im usually tuned to the DAB but carplay takes over automatically.

I still want carplay connected - for messages etc - but dont want to have to manually change back to the radio every time i get in the car.

1st carplay car Ive owned so not sure if thats just how it is.
Nope. It’s a pain.

If you are listening to the cars radio & mute it won’t restart playing when you un-mute or press play it’ll go back into carplay media. Same if you get a call.
I use a radio app in CarPlay now as it was driving me mad.

All those waiting for wireless carplay to roll out... Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
Nope. It’s a pain.

If you are listening to the cars radio & mute it won’t restart playing when you un-mute or press play it’ll go back into carplay media. Same if you get a call.
I use a radio app in CarPlay now as it was driving me mad.

All those waiting for wireless carplay to roll out... Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Pants.
Sponsored