Taycan24

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD due in June
Country flag
Discovered the Auto-Regen option about a month ago (late to the party) and absolutely love it for highway driving considering I don’t have ACC. However, during an hour commute it will turn off and I get a pop-up that says “auto regen not available” anywhere from 0-3 times with the average being 1, and I will have to turn it back on in the PCM.

Not sure what it causing it to turn off and it doesn’t seem to be visibility/weather or anything obvious, so thought I’d ask the forum. I could also have the dealer check it out but figure it’ll be hard to replicate cause on average it only happens once per hour.

Thanks!
Sponsored

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
I have the same issue on mine,.. wondering why that happens and if there is a fix.
on my Etron SUV that system is very reliable.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
i don’t use auto recup, but I think the “turning off” has been frequently reported.

Probably doesn’t help, but from GTK:

Porsche Taycan Auto-Regen Not Available 9B96280C-8950-4AB9-B7E5-E88E21B7B5AB

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
Weather is great here, could be reflections - not sure why this system is so sensitive, i think it's using the windshield camera.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
If you don't have Adaptive Cruise Control it's completely camera-, GPS- and map-based if I'm not mistaken. The camera is what's used to 'see' other vehicles in the car's path and regen when approaching them. With a dirty windshield / strong reflections / an empty road ahead, the camera may not be able to properly see road features and other vehicles on the road with high confidence. When there is no high confidence input for a long time, the system will not take risks and warn you that it's potentially not available. Typically these warnings go away as soon as the visibility conditions / environment changes enough.

If you do have adaptive cruise control, a large part of this work can be taken over by the long range radar at the front instead, which is simply a lot more reliable than only a camera. Combined data from the ACC radar, camera and GPS/navigation makes the auto regen work extremely well typically.

This is one of the reasons why the e-tron (SUV), which has the same auto regen system, always has the front radar installed even when ACC is not optioned. It was brought to the market before a camera-only system was available, and Audi prefers more advanced safety systems in their car (emergency braking is more accurate with a front radar too).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Discovered the Auto-Regen option about a month ago (late to the party) and absolutely love it for highway driving considering I don’t have ACC. However, during an hour commute it will turn off and I get a pop-up that says “auto regen not available” anywhere from 0-3 times with the average being 1, and I will have to turn it back on in the PCM.

Not sure what it causing it to turn off and it doesn’t seem to be visibility/weather or anything obvious, so thought I’d ask the forum. I could also have the dealer check it out but figure it’ll be hard to replicate cause on average it only happens once per hour.

Thanks!
This is fairly normal in my experience but cause is not always clear.

Note that if PSM Sport (not Drive Mode) is enabled then auto regen is never available.

General availability issues are typically dependent on reflection's, dirty sensors, weather etc

Porsche Taycan Auto-Regen Not Available Screenshot_20220416-071230_Porsche Good to know

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It hasn't to do with the sensors cuz otherwise you would get the warning "WBA limited/not available" (Warning and Brake Assist).
It uses the same sensors for ACC, emergency braking and auto high/low beam.
So it must be software related.
There's no reason why auto regen would disengage after a certain period.
I would suggest you'll try to reproduce the error and see if there's consistency in the error.
Only then your dealer has a better chance to find the issue.

Porsche Taycan Auto-Regen Not Available Screenshot_20220416-083412

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I get this often as well.

I am sure I once read here that it's the brake rotors need a 'scrub clean' with the brake pads, so regen turns itself off so that the manual brakes work for a while.

Please don't tell me I dreamt that, because thats what I told someone recently.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I get this often as well.

I am sure I once read here that it's the brake rotors need a 'scrub clean' with the brake pads, so regen turns itself off so that the manual brakes work for a while.

Please don't tell me I dreamt that, because thats what I told someone recently.
🤔 Not sure about that as when mine disengages I can still feel the motors doing the braking and not the discs (obvious sound difference).

I suspect it's just another flawed feature of the car or decides regen is not putting much back into the battery and arbitrarily gives up the ghost and reverts to coasting.

Manual regen IMHO is much better and 100% predictable but impact on range enhancement is questionable at best.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Happens to me quite often too... but happens almost all the time when I go over a speed bump... maybe the camera faces to the sky for a second and not register anything and then pops up an error message...

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Note that if PSM Sport (not Drive Mode) is enabled then auto regen is never available.
Works for me in PSM sport - all the time.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
I have the same issue. My service advisor states that if you leave the car in sports mode, auto regen will stay on all the time. Otherwise, it goes off at random times for no apparent reason.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
PSM is not the Drive mode but the suspension/shock absorber settings.

Also stated in Porsche Good To Know App.

Can you check again?
I know - suspension sport. It works. I have my individual setting as follows:
- normal drive
- sport suspension
- auto regen

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I know - suspension sport. It works. I have my individual setting as follows:
- normal drive
- sport suspension
- auto regen
Right so crossed wires then.

The clarification was to advise OP that they were referring to Drive mode and not PSM.

We are on the same page.
Sponsored