batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
There are two complaints about the camera, one of which is more “fixable” than the other.

1. Distorted View. When backing up in particular, the image is quite distorted. This is because the image is compressed in too narrow a frame, making the perspective unusually long. Backup cameras all have some degree of this, but this definitely more than you see in newer cars today. The reason for this is pretty clear, however: Someone made a choice to show the overhead view occupy the left quarter of the frame, which forced the perspective for the backup camera. In some cars, this is a view that you toggle between. While I understand the choice, it is very clear that many people would prefer the perspective afforded by the full width backup view. Because this is software, this is fixable if there is enough negative feedback to overcome the power of the product person who chose the current view.
  2. Low Resolution. The camera is not as high a resolution as some of the cameras that you see in the market. Because this is likely hardware, I view this as less fixable. It certainly would not be a free fix.

I reference both the overhead and the backup view in about equal amounts when backing up. People who use primarily the backup view are more likely to complain about Distorted View in particular. There is some chance that #1 gets fixed, as it would seem to be somewhat easy to implement. I would not count on #2 unless UR willing to risk an aftermarket solution.
I'm not overly fussed about the resolution given I don't tend to read books placed behind my car as a habit, however would love the change to happen that you suggest in 1 (just add a toggle button for 360 view). I guess with current lead times there may even be a new camera by the time I get a sniff of delivery...
Sponsored

Rock

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree totally. In my previously owned BMW 6 GC without surround view and the X5 my wife has (with 360 view) I can rely on driving backwards looking only at the screen without using the mirrors.

In the Taycan I'm always checking and double checking in the mirrors, then it beeps and I hit the brakes like an idiot, because I think I'm almost hitting something. The non fish-eye view works much better, but no guidance lines present and again another button the push. pfff.

- getting in the car
- switch to individual mode
- wait for homelink
- open garage door
- put in reverse
- switch camera to normal mode
- drive out of garage
- put in park or close camera view
- press to close garage door
- put in reverse again to drive towards the street
- put camera in normal mode
- select drive to leave
- close homelink because the selection menu stays visible
- toggle between radio and online radio, because otherwise no music
- put my lights on, because I like the rear red bar ?

My finger hurts, just writing this.

For example; I recently had a Macan for a day. Big surprise when I put the car in reverse with a perfect visibility.

1630496897746.png
This is a very accurate assessment of my experience in a 2021 4S. Klunky technology and the car is hard to get in and out. Mercedes new technology is light years ahead of a Taycan. We can add one more to the list for displaying the name of the band and song. It shows a picture of cover and name of song but the band is only present on the picture of the cover and it is very hard to read. That is a minor issue but the list above sums up my experience.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I think the guys at NHTSA just laugh their pants off right now!
You really filed a complaint about a rear view camera at the NHTSA...

Lol. ???
Actually, in the USA, review cameras are REQUIRED by law since 2018 for safety. It would be reasonable to expect the camera to work properly with minimal distortion otherwise above ground gas lines & meters, electrical, pets children, etc may be hit. "According to the NHTSA given to Congress when considering this legislation, 221 people were killed by non-traffic (not on public roads) backover crashes in 2007, and 14,000 people were injured. "

Besides, the Porsche should have the TOP quality, and no Porsche owner should settle for mediocrity. Is the rear view camera a deal breaker for a new buyer, probably not, but it certainly would be embarrassing if a friend or client were in the car and see lousy camera in a Taycan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ujjtaycan4s

ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
If you live in the US, file a complaint with NHTSA here. My complaint # is 11438189

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
All I can say, You must have a completely different back up camera than what I have. Even trying to switch view it is really a very bad implementation. Compared to a BMW or Mercedes camera this is beginners stuff. I have experienced anything this bad in any car produced after 2010.
Fully agree, the rearcammera sucks. I think it has a 480p view, on a HD screen. Is it possible to replace it by a full of 4k viseye camera?

Olav

First Name
Olav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Wow, since I just recently got my Taycan CT, this thing has been bothering me a lot. The rear camera is useless if its raining. I have to rely on 360 view and sound sensor. And in the worst cases I just have to jump out of the car to get a full overview.

This was certainly unexpected.

I am actually used to park without any camera at all, my old Mercedes C-class from 2006 did not have one. But parking the old way is impossible with Taycan CT as I really dont see much when I turn my head around
:facepalm:

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
Has anything changed in 2022 or are we just hoping for a not-OTA software update?

OP
OP
ujjtaycan4s

ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
File a complaint with NHTSA
Wow, since I just recently got my Taycan CT, this thing has been bothering me a lot. The rear camera is useless if its raining. I have to rely on 360 view and sound sensor. And in the worst cases I just have to jump out of the car to get a full overview.

I am actually used to park without any camera at all, my old Mercedes C-class from 2006 did not have one. But parking the old way is impossible with Taycan CT as I really dont see much when I turn my head around
File a complaint with NHTSA

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I find the picture quite sharp in my CT, but the rear camera gets easily dirty when it is wet outdoors (have to use rear washer often, and sometimes that still leaves a water drop that distorts the view).

OP
OP
ujjtaycan4s

ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I find the picture quite sharp in my CT, but the rear camera gets easily dirty when it is wet outdoors (have to use rear washer often, and sometimes that still leaves a water drop that distorts the view).
Can you post a picture and I will post a picture from GLS 450 and you will see the difference. In the end you cannot measure the efficacy till you have something to compare ...

Claude Balls

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag

Yea, the quality is rubbish. In fact, the worst I've ever seen.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
The camera used on the Taycan (surround view) has the same partnumber as the camera on the 911 and the Cayenne. So it would be interesting to know if any owners of these Porsche models also are having issues. This might tell us if the problem(s) are related to the camera itself, the camera signal processing unit or just software related.

In regards to the hot dicussion of wether the camera is bad or not. I should add that I've worked with aftermarket caraccessories for well over 20 years now, including camerasystems, and although i remember thinking the camera on the testcar i drove a while back before ordering my own was just about "ok" and nothing more, but by no means a dealbreaker for me. But...i will hold my final judgement till i receive my own car.

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Can you post a picture and I will post a picture from GLS 450 and you will see the difference. In the end you cannot measure the efficacy till you have something to compare ...
Porsche Taycan Backup Camera Quality to Improve? EC132345-05FB-4D22-91D3-D7081338C225

MY21 CT4, I think the picture quality is fine, but the positioning of the camera makes it easily dirty.

Last edited:

jimtoniq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
I agree that dirt is often an issue. I got a tip from my dealer to use one of these fluids that you use to make windscreens or showers water repellent. Applied a drop on all 4 cameras and it really is significantly better since.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I agree that dirt is often an issue. I got a tip from my dealer to use one of these fluids that you use to make windscreens or showers water repellent. Applied a drop on all 4 cameras and it really is significantly better since.
Porsche just need to plagiarise the brilliant idea from Mercedes who use deployable rear cameras - retracts when not in use, genius - than the Heath Robinson method employed today!
Sponsored