Backup Camera Quality to Improve?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
OK, by that logic, the brakes stop a car, and that is their main purpose, so why complain about the feel or the modulation? and a car goes forward when you press on the gas pedal so let's not complain about response or acceleration :rolleyes:

The car is amazing, but the reality is the backup camera sucks. Since when do we become champions of mediocrity on Porsche's behalf??
You forgot to mention the only issue that REALLY matters: electrical fault errors still not solved.
Other than that, I laugh at your "problems" (to spice this discussion up a bit! ?)...
Sponsored

Last edited:

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Concur, backup camera sucks ass. Is it the worst issue, no. Can it be worked around, yes. By and large the consensus is the camera sucks. Porsche should do better when cars that cost 100k less have a superior camera.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I am so pleased you think this is hilarious. Since I have entertained you with my misfortune, any small donation my way would be much appreciated.

Obviously this was my fault, the underground support pillar did not move and hit me. The problem was the camera indicated it was much further away that it actually was and the problem was compounded - the sensor warning was absent. I thought I was 6-8 inches from the pillar.
Your reply makes it just more funny. Blame it on the car. Create a NHTSA complaint...

there is a lot of fan boyism here now.
And there is A LOT of whining and crying about every little thing from people. Some things make sense and are acknowledged, but my god very often people go straight to "I cannot believe Porsche would do this, the car is trash, I hate it, shouldve gotten a Tesla" (a little exaggerated). I love how one person this week was angry that their app doesn't connect to their car and on a sidenote mentions that there is basically no cell reception where he lives. It is getting ridiculous..

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Concur, backup camera sucks ass. Is it the worst issue, no. Can it be worked around, yes. By and large the consensus is the camera sucks. Porsche should do better when cars that cost 100k less have a superior camera.
It must be software. In this day and age Porsche would have had to go the extra mile to find bad cameras. Especially when they are already using decent ones on every other car they make. So it must be PCM 6 related. When pressing the back-cam button on screen it kind of fixes it a little. Maybe they will fix it through software, but the list of software issues is long and god knows how far up on the prio list the camera is. o_O

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
And there is A LOT of whining and crying about every little thing from people.
every little thing? the car stopping unexpectedly, the reliability of charging, the lack of promised features like OTA updates and so many other minor issues are not something to be pushed under the carpet. we were not delivered the car that we thought we were getting. it almost like we are victims of a bait and switch scam.
for example my car just spent 2 days in the shop for an update that tesla would have easily pushed OTA. you might claim that this is no big deal, but a 30 minute trip each way to drop off then pick up the car, ignoring the two days that I did not have use of the car, is two hours of wasted time.
that to me is indeed a big deal.

Reactions: B61

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I believe in the olden days, drivers had to make do with just mirrors, how did they manage I wonder…..
in the olden days we didn't pay thousands of dollars, pounds, euros, marks for the tech, and then when we pay the price for the tech it doesn't function as promised.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
I wasn’t alive in the olden days, my dad tells me he had to wind up windows with a small handle……….I get an image from the camera. Do I solely rely on this instead of my driving skill, judgement and mirrors, No, because that would be stupid.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The problem was the camera indicated it was much further away that it actually was and the problem was compounded - the sensor warning was absent. I thought I was 6-8 inches from the pillar.
I have also seen the opposite problem. The camera showing the bumper touching an object but in reality the object is a feet away. I have stopped relying on the distorted camera image on tight spots and I use the mirrors. The camera lines are also projecting the car to be in the wrong position. However the car is big, the mirrors and rear windows are small thus the visibility is limited.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
- getting in the car
- switch to individual mode
- wait for homelink
- open garage door
- put in reverse
- switch camera to normal mode
- drive out of garage
- put in park or close camera view
- press to close garage door
- put in reverse again to drive towards the street
- put camera in normal mode
- select drive to leave
- close homelink because the selection menu stays visible
- toggle between radio and online radio, because otherwise no music
- put my lights on, because I like the rear red bar ?
Yeah, it’s like whoever was responsible for this UX has never actually driven a car.

Hopefully over time it will improve.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just bought a Mercedes AMG, my second car, and compared to the Porsche Taycan 4S, they're backup camera is simply exquisite. Why is the backup camera of the Porsche a much more expensive car terrible? My daughter who drives a Mazda 3 series, claims that her backup camera is better than that of my Porsche Taycan 4S?
Does anybody know, if there are any plans for them to improve their software, because I think the camera is okay it's just the software that renders the image is terrible and moves every time you turn the steering wheel!!
I agree. The backup camera is pretty piss poor. The ultra wide-angle is so distorted that I find it essentially useless, so I tend hit the button to primarily rely upon the more normal view. I truly wish I could default to that view, but unless I'm missing something, I don't see how to do that. The other problem is that the split screen makes it difficult to discern the “scene” as everything rendered too small.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I would like to know why it is like this.
And if there's a good reason, why can't it be like most of us want it to be?
I don't have any problem with it but it could be better, fully agree there.
Not that I need it while driving several kilometers backwards but still... ??‍♂

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I would like to know why it is like this.
And if there's a good reason, why can't it be like most of us want it to be?
I don't have any problem with it but it could be better, fully agree there.
Not that I need it while driving several kilometers backwards but still... ??‍♂
It must be software crap that needs an update. I wonder if the PCM 6 update for all the other models is holding back the Taycan bug fixes…
Sponsored